Looking for a 6.5 cartridge

Im not a .260 guru but 2800-2900 with the 140's is as hard as i'd push it.

t

Tyler hit the nail on the head 2700-2850 is going to be in the wheel house of the 260 rem and the 140 grain bergers...I run three different 260's with that combo and they all are around there speed wise....if you haven't already found a rifle I may know where a custom 260 with all the load work and drop info is sitting:D and for sale.

Jordan@406

Tyler hit the nail on the head 2700-2850 is going to be in the wheel house of the 260 rem and the 140 grain bergers...I run three different 260's with that combo and they all are around there speed wise....if you haven't already found a rifle I may know where a custom 260 with all the load work and drop info is sitting:D and for sale.

Jordan@406

And said rifle is a hammer!

t

Jordan@406

I wish I had the money right now to do it, haha. Just trying to figure this stuff out while I save up.

That's sure understandable are you thinking factory or custom and eit her way if you choose 260 and need help or a magic load suggestion holler we will help get you pointed in the right direction.

Jordan@406

Pm me that info on the 260 please. Ive been trying to pick up a used 6.5 creedmore through thecsmith I use but its going on 6 weeks of waiting so im starting to look at other options.

6.5-06. No fire forming is really needed
Just under 3000 fps with a 140 Berger is reached in a 24 inch tube with H-1000
This is probably the cheapest way to get the results your after especially if you ran a reamer into an existing 6.5x55 with that had at least an 8.5 twist.
25-06 win brass is cheap and easily ran though a 6.5-06 die.

drocs101,
I have used the 6.5x284Norma for the past couple of years and it is hard to beat for the criteria you have listed. I filled my limit this year on deer, all one shot kills, using the 140gn Amax ahead of 59.0gns of Retumbo and BR2's.
This load is averaging 3038fps and is sub 1/2 MOA out to 800yrds. That's as far as I have taken it. I'm shooting a stock Savage 112BVSS w/26" heavy barrel and Lapua brass. I don't think you'll be disappointed with this cartridge.
At 100yds it's a one-hole proposition and I shoot playing card size, 5 shot groups at 700yds. It will amaze you and your shooting buddies. Good luck. JohnnyK.

What does everyone know about the 6.5x47 lapua as far as speed and barrel life? It would be a good choice as far as having high quality brass.

The 6.5x47 is a super sweet little cartridge. Very accurate & offers the best brass on the planet. The case capacity is slightly less than the .260 & it should offer a little less velocity than the .260.

Bore life should be very good, how good depends on how you treat it.

t

Outlaw is correct about the 6.5X47. I just got one and think it is going to become one of my favorite cartridges to shoot. It was slightly off of your original request so I didn't mention it. I'm getting 2925 fps with a Berger 130 over 42grains of Norma powder. Seems like it is URP? MILD recoil. Your only running a little over/under 40 grains of powder! Great preformance in a little package. For the 140's your likely to see 2775-2850 fps. One of the good things is that it is a easy cartridge to reload for. Not too picky as a general rule. Slower than a lot of 6.5's, but it gets the job done. Deer/antelope to 6-700 yards shouldn't be a problem. Bruce

drocs101,
I have used the 6.5x284Norma for the past couple of years and it is hard to beat for the criteria you have listed. I filled my limit this year on deer, all one shot kills, using the 140gn Amax ahead of 59.0gns of Retumbo and BR2's.
This load is averaging 3038fps and is sub 1/2 MOA out to 800yrds. That's as far as I have taken it. I'm shooting a stock Savage 112BVSS w/26" heavy barrel and Lapua brass. I don't think you'll be disappointed with this cartridge.
At 100yds it's a one-hole proposition and I shoot playing card size, 5 shot groups at 700yds. It will amaze you and your shooting buddies. Good luck. JohnnyK.

Ya, I think the 6.5x284 would be a great cartridge but I have read that the barrel life is pretty short. I know that the short barrel life mostly refers to competition accuracy, but I would still like to have something that lasts a little longer.

The more I think about it, I would be just fine in that 2800-2900 range for fps. Even at 2800 with 140 bergers, there is still more retained energy at a 700 yards compared to the gun I use now which a a 270 with 130 bergers at 3150 fps. I don't want to spend a lot of money on barrels over time, so that is driving my decision more than anything else.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.