Picking out a 6.5 cartridge

jacob_strass

I'm looking at jumping into a different cartridge. I'm looking at a 6.5mm something or another, this will be built on a medium length action with the ability to change bolt faces. The ones I have been bouncing between is: 260 rem AI, 6.5-284, 6.5 prc, 6.5 saum, 6.5 Sherman max. I'm wanting something I can shoot the 140-156 out of for fun to distance and also put some heavier copper bullets in it to hunt with. Wanting to have a 20-22" barrel to run suppressed but not give up to much velocity. The 260 rem AI is the most intriguing to me, I'm mainly concerned I'll be giving up too much velocity in a 20-22" tube. Any thoughts or experiences with any of these cartridges are greatly appreciated.

I'm looking at jumping into a different cartridge. I'm looking at a 6.5mm something or another, this will be built on a medium length action with the ability to change bolt faces. The ones I have been bouncing between is: 260 rem AI, 6.5-284, 6.5 prc, 6.5 saum, 6.5 Sherman max. I'm wanting something I can shoot the 140-156 out of for fun to distance and also put some heavier copper bullets in it to hunt with. Wanting to have a 20-22" barrel to run suppressed but not give up to much velocity. The 260 rem AI is the most intriguing to me, I'm mainly concerned I'll be giving up too much velocity in a 20-22" tube. Any thoughts or experiences with any of these cartridges are greatly appreciated.
If you could compromise and go too a 23 in barrel you wouldn't give up much at all especially in the 260ai a little more in your larger cap cartridge the 6.5 284 is hard too beat with Lapua brass . I have them all 6.5prc down too the Grendel great caliber.

I've had a few 6.5's. One of my favorites is the 6.5x284, w/ Lapua brass. I'd go with that or the
6.5 SAUM. Either one in a Med. action.
Run 140 Berger's rather than the 156. (Run the numbers). For a mono I'd try the 124 HH.
If running suppressed, I'd go 22"to 24"
Plenty of velocity. I've not been satisfied with velocities when I've opted for 20" bbl.
Track down components for whichever cartridge you choose first tho.

My 260AI is running 147ELDMs at 2955 with a 24" barrel and is a pleasure to shoot.

That said I am working on a 6.5SAUM with a 21" barrel and hoping to see 3kfps with a 21" barrel and 156s.
What's your coal on your 260AI? Did you extend the freebore at all to seat the long bullets out further?

I have a 20" 6.5SS, a 22" 6.5SLR, and a 24" .260AI. I am also building a 22" 6.5XXXXX as well.
All solid choices.
Make your determination off what bullet you want to shoot and what speed you want to shoot it at. Not all will get you what you want. I don't run mine at max, but still feel I get plenty for what I am wanting to do with them.

What's your coal on your 260AI? Did you extend the freebore at all to seat the long bullets out further?
Yes I did. I seat them at 2.940. Mag limited to 2.950. I have about .040 jump seated at 2.940. I had considered replacing the DBM with a Baney box but it shoots good as-is and I'm pleased with the performance. I'm running a 7.5 twist Brux barrel.

RL26 Powder.

I have a 20" 6.5SS, a 22" 6.5SLR, and a 24" .260AI. I am also building a 22" 6.5XXXXX as well.
All solid choices.
Make your determination off what bullet you want to shoot and what speed you want to shoot it at. Not all will get you what you want. I don't run mine at max, but still feel I get plenty for what I am wanting to do with them.
So what are you getting out of your 260AI?