Looking for a 6.5 cartridge

I am wanting to build a long range rifle in 6.5. I would be using this rifle for hunting mostly out to 700 yards, but I would also like to use it for for practice at long ranges a couple of time a month. Having said that I am looking for a 6.5 cartridge that is as close to 3000 fps as possible to retain more down range velocity, but I don't want a cartridge that is a barrel burner either. I am thinking of using either berger vld 140s or hornady a-max 140s. I would mostly best using this for deer and antelope, but could occasionally use it for elk. Would be running a 26" barrel. Thanks in advance for your help.

Based on your criteria I would go with the 6.5-284. I shoot both the 6.5-284 and the 260Rem. Just about every shooter/hunter I know that starts taking game or busting targets at 700 yards wants to move further out after they become proficient. If this is even a remote possibility the 6.5-284 is a stellar performer. If properly chambered loadwork is minimal, and it is exceptionally accurate with 140 VLD's. I wouldn't pay too much mind to the barrel burning hysteria. For the kind of shooting you will be doing, barrel life won't be much different, or perhaps better than many cartridges capable of it's ballistic performance. You are right to do your homework and make sure your smith is experienced with chambering this cartridge, and, you provide the dimensions!
Good luck with your decision.

Out to 600 on elk I would not be afraid of the 260 rem but beyond that your going to lack retained energy on game that large.
Outlaw6.0 has it nailed I'd look into the 6.5 -06 or the 7 w sm

Jordan@406

+1 I love the 260 out to the range you mention but not much past that and you'll get double if not more the barrel life. I love the 6.5 WSM but it's a whole different level in bot velocity and the corresponding wear on barrels. If you're going to practice a lot I'd go 260 as a working and practice gun then get one of the other options as more of a dedicated long range hunter that you use but not to the same level in terms of random rounds down range.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.