Looking for a 6.5 cartridge

I get 2750 w/ a 26+" barrel in my Remy 260 and 2850fps w/ my Tikka 6.5 Rem Mag 23" barrel, Neither are hot loads, both shoot very well,
Since you have a 270 the cheapest route is the 6.5/06 most easily built w/ your rifle, depending on how you load, treat it and what powder you use, will dictate how long the barrel will last

If you are going to run a 260 rem, you can't go wrong with the 130 gr or 140 gr berger. If you run the data through shooter, the 130 gr berger going 2950 fps actually drops about 2 MOA less than the 140 gr berger going 2800 fps and only has 80 foot pounds of less energy. I used those fps for each bullet because that is about the velocity that people are gettig out of both of the bullets in a 26" barrel. Even with wind at 900 yards there isn't too much difference between the two. The 140 Berger is 4.4 MOA left and the 130 gr berger is 4.6 MOA left with a 10 mph wind coming from the 9 o'clock.

I am starting to purchase parts for my 260 rem build down the road and the nice thing is that you can find a load for the 140 gr and the 130 gr berger and just use either one that the stores have in stock and be completely confident.

Last edited:
I think I have made up my mind on the 260. I think it will be the best compromise between speed and barrel life. Now I just have to start saving the pennies.

As per barrel life, I just got 4800 rounds out of my 6.5x47L before my first set back. That is 130 gr Jlk's at 3005 fps out of 29". I know the barrel is long for your combo but it is what I currently run. Shot 1/2 moa at 4800 rounds and gun normally shot 1/4 moa. Set back so far has been in the 0's. Plus brass lasts 15+ reloads and it uses a couple grains less powder than the 260 or 6.5 Creedmor with same bullet weight and velocity. If not doing 47L, I would do the 6.5 cm long before the 260 for brass life and throat life. Nothing wrong with the 260, there is just better stuff out there and most people don't like anything tied to lapua, not sure why, they just don't.

Another plus for the 6.5 x 47 Lapua is you will spend more time shooting it than working up loads for and paying for the 2 new barrels you will need if you go with the 260 or 6.5 x 284. I actually do enjoy working up a load but just not when I HAVE to.

With lapua brass for the 260 I'd still go 260 I've never had trouble getting one to shoot with either 4831 or 4350 and barrel life is not an issue.

Nothing wrong with the 6.5x47 but for hunting given my choice the 260 wins out for me simply because of the performance I've seen from the 140 vld

As for disliking lapua well the two 338 s I have are Lapuas and I love them both ! Lol

Another plus for the 6.5 x 47 Lapua is you will spend more time shooting it than working up loads for and paying for the 2 new barrels you will need if you go with the 260 or 6.5 x 284. I actually do enjoy working up a load but just not when I HAVE to.

How many 260 Rems have you actually loaded for? The 260 is easy to load for at least the two that I have loaded for. I think your info is a little off.

Didn't read too carefully, but if you want some more speed than the 260 that's not a barrel burner, you could go with the 6.5-06 AI. more case prep.

How many 260 Rems have you actually loaded for? The 260 is easy to load for at least the two that I have loaded for. I think your info is a little off.

260 is not hard to load for, just not as easy as the 47L and I have done load development for more that 5 of both guns, some mine and some for others.

260 is not hard to load for, just not as easy as the 47L and I have done load development for more that 5 of both guns, some mine and some for others.

I wouldn't argue that it is easy to load for but when someone is trying to figure out which cartridge their build is going to be based off of people should give them solid facts on the pros and cons. Telling someone that they are going to waste two barrels finding a load for a 260 while you are still on the first 6.5x47L barrel is a little off.

Realistically when you are talking about building a 6.5x47L or a 260, you can't go wrong with either choice. It would just be a personal preference because there isn't that much difference between the two.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.