Longest Hunting Harvest on the Boards

Let's see, my longest shot. Well I'll give the ones that were witnessed.
Whitetail 1450 yds
Ground hog 1375
Prarie dog 1225
Crow 1087 in high cross winds (.264) A little luck involved there

These were all witnessed. I have a few longer ones but only the Lord and I can prove them.
Just for the record though I did nail a 5 gallon drywall bucket at 2000+ yds using a 30 Hart, but it wasn't moving around too much..ha!
I killed most of the from a 7mm stw using 168 JLK's

Just a comment.. I shoot as long range as anyone.. probably more so at times, but within the capability of the weapon... Now, before anyone decided to beat on me.. I was trained by the United States Army on Range 37. Anyone who knows that range knows what we do there..

Some of you need to rethink your shots and shooting guidelines.. a few examples are 223 @ over 300yds on any sort of big game animal.. qualification on that weapon for a man is 300.

1400 on anything is extreme.. I have made that shot but even burning 25,000 rounds annually which was my average I was not as consistent as I wished. Of my sniper section, I was maybe middle of the road, but I knew my limits and that is the point here. Knowing ones limits is the place we should all draw the line...

If you are shooting where the energy in the weapon is less than a viable kill you should not be taking it...

Second, I am at the range every week. I shoot and shoot and shoot and am more than capable of a 600yd shot on any given day.. but while I sit there and watch the other shooters.. I am in serious doubt that many could connect over 200yds... if they did they know not where they connected...

Few times have I ever seen someone pull out a wind meter or dope chart at a range or in the field.. I do carry them both at all times..

Lastly, few actually practice at these ranges as there are not that many locations that have this type of capability... Please shoot within our means...

De Opresso Liber...

I understand completely as I have witnessed the same sloppy results. To say that about everybody, is quite inaccurate. Although 99.5% of the shooters I have seen would fall under that category I for one have a 3 benches built on my property where (including my back yard) the Lord has blessed me with the luxury of shooting 1500+ yards. Also using a portable bench for 2000yds.

I for one shoot nearly everyday at these distances. For example I shot a milk jug at 1250 yds with my 308 just the other day!
So I guess what I'm saying is this, what some consider extremely hard is a walk in the park for others...Try knife throwing!

I understand completely as I have witnessed the same sloppy results. To say that about everybody, is quite inaccurate. Although 99.5% of the shooters I have seen would fall under that category I for one have a 3 benches built on my property where (including my back yard) the Lord has blessed me with the luxury of shooting 1500+ yards. Also using a portable bench for 2000yds.

I for one shoot nearly everyday at these distances. For example I shot a milk jug at 1250 yds with my 308 just the other day!
So I guess what I'm saying is this, what some consider extremely hard is a walk in the park for others...Try knife throwing!

I hit a playing card at 10 paces with a throwing knife. I have also thrown hawk. It is a lot of fun. I attend a muzzle loader rendezvous every spring and fall. They just added the hawk and knife again as part of the trail walk. We also have to split cards on edge with a muzzle loader at 10 to 15 feet. Anybody think that is not difficult, try it!

I've split the card with cap and ball revolver, my 40 Glock, 22LR w/ scope off hand, and several different 50 cal. muzzle loaders. I guess this is more precision than long range, but a card on edge with any weapon is long range when you think about the target surface.

Thanks for your service guys and protecting our country.

Tank C 4/1 FA

No where in that small comment is there anything saying "everybody".. Closely read my comments as I do not make broad brush statements..

As for your capability, fine but you did say you shot at those ranges regularly, as do I and I am quite sure if you saw me shoot you would say the same thing I hear all the time at the range" you sure are a good shot"...

Most of the shots I have seen while hunting out west with quite a few different groups have been Hail Mary's with no prep, no rest and/or idea which way the wind was going.. That was with Outfitters and on the ranches I hunt...

There was an interesting article recently about a the difference between and "hunter and a shooter or marksman" can't remember the exact title but it was partially correct. I disagree on some parts but the premise was good. it basically stated, hunters go to the range and site in their weapons before the season and then hunt, shooters have all kinds of equipment and stuff and sit and hunt from vantage points etc.. I somewhat agree... but the difference is a true hunter does what it takes to connect with the animal he or she is hunting.. and part of that should be good solid marksmanship...

So to make this go down easier for some of us sensitive types who could be lurking out there..

"If you ain't made a similar shot, feel in doubt, don't know the distance, have less gun than need be for the range at hand, don't take it"

enough said.. Out here!

De Opresso Liber...

Last edited:
Just a comment for some of the folks out there who are arguing... The question is "what's the longest harvest out there"... there is not one mention of ethics on the board - other than that we are asked not to argue about ethics....

I'm sure there are some BS responses on the board but that doesn't mean that we all have to call them out on it in a lengthy arguement. There are many shooters at LRH.com that are capable of shots and have made shots that I would have called BS on just three years ago. I guess I tend to question the feats of those who have demonstrated their knowledge on the board less than those who just get started...

Mr. Britz, I made a comment on the idea of the shooter making or attempting shots that exceed the capability of the weapon or the shooter..

Ethics we shall leave for the one who can truly judge us..

I did not question anyone's ethics.. When it comes to calling BS on my ability, I spent 13yrs in Special Forces, traveled to 38 **** holes around this globe and have attend nearly every shooting school Uncle Sugar wanted to spend tax money to train me. I have spent days not hours on ranges shooting with MEN who toyed with long shots.. My abilities are quite fine and have been used enough to understand all the questions I was curious about...

If and when I want to question someones shooting ability I earned a little right to do so, questioning is not critizing it is part of being men and becoming better...

Ethically, seen some things that may make many's hair stand on end, but I wake up each day just fine... when I see him and he makes his judgement, I know I will be fine as the demons I carry are not just mine they are his and mine. If I offended you, my apologies sir, as I learned that while a soldier, I also learned other things which play out here true to form..

Don't worry I shall not answer another thread to this no matter how hateful anyone gets.. : )

"De Opresso Liber"

Last edited:
cuernos1,

No Hate here, we are all good mates. You should be proud of your skill and dedication to your country and the service that you have done. I respect what you have done and I am not even a Yank!

I agree with you 100% about staying within your limit of ability. One hunting group I belong to requires you to do a shooting test before they let you hunt. It is a simple test of hitting a deer cutout target twice at 100 yards in the vital zone with your own rifle and ammo.

Let me tell you that 70% of new members fail this test. This is why they test all new members that join.

Back to the topic of the thread, my most noteworthy long shot was a Goat at 650m taken with a 25-06. The day before I got one at 495m with a 338WM.

...For example I shot a milk jug at 1250 yds with my 308 just the other day!

Anybody can hit a milk jug at 1250 if you give them enough time. The real question is, how many shots did it take you to hit the milk jug? If you hit it with the first shot it's pretty impressive, if it took you more than three shots then not very impressive, but still good.

a few years back somebody told me about this site.
i got on and was somewhat directed to an area called lens living room.
there was a major brawl going on over 2 guys who had gotten an elk.
seems they had gotten to about 900 yds. and shot the elk in its bed.
i had read the story, and didnt personaly think it was very unusual at all. however the criticism that followed was awful.
everything was discussed including how unethical it was to shoot it laying down.
it was several years before i revisited the site.

differences of opinion are fine, we can sometimes learn from that.
topics like this are bound to create controversy.
in a way this place is like a bar room.
anybody can walk in, and say anything they want.
its sometime best to just roll your eyes, pick up your change, and walk out.

I think I remember a discussion with Darryl Cassel when this site first opened and he had taken an elk over 1600 yards with his 338-416 improved. I think his shots were the longest I have seen on here. 14 and something elk by GG is probably the next longest I have seen on here by people I thought knew what they were doing.

I posted on this thread in good faith thinking that guys are proud of what they can do and are prepared to celebrate the ability of others. If someone wants to talk BS then they are only fooling themselves. Personally I am not going to acuse anyone of speaking nonsense. I do not have long range equipment but I challenge a man without drop charts, microwave ovens, windmeters, gps etc etc to hunt offhand at 380m with a 3 - 9 x 40 and drop a springbuck! No one has criticised this because it is not seen as far - it is flippin far. Longer ranges are criticised and insulting comments are made or intended! Why? That is immature. Do not shoot this at that range with this or that at that range with that?? I ask you with tears in my eyes - what is the deal? Back off with the criticism and let the masses speak. I like to shoot my animals close because it means that I have beaten them on the stalk and that gives me a thrill but the next man might like the 1000 yard shot AND GOOD FOR HIM (OR HER HOPEFULLY). I am disappointed with the bickering and my chest is bigger than your chest mentality. Get over yourselves and celebrate what you have done without criticising the next person. I love my hunting and sometimes I have to take a long shot but i do not train for this - these shots are taken with the years of experience behind me and knowledge of my rifle and i believe it is as merit worthy as the 1000yd shot. I cannot afford super duper equipment like others on this site but i do not crititicise them. Lets get back to the initial gist of this thread.

Anybody can hit a milk jug at 1250 if you give them enough time. The real question is, how many shots did it take you to hit the milk jug? If you hit it with the first shot it's pretty impressive, if it took you more than three shots then not very impressive, but still good.

It was on the 2nd shot. I just posted the results due to the fact that it was a .308 which is "stretching" it for that caliber. The point being is this, most rifles are capable of shooting long distances, we just need to reach our potential!

I agree with Dave!! Everyone has there own game that they pursue but we all like our freedom. There will be people shooting at 1000 yds that shouldn't be and there will be people slinging lead at 50 yds at running elk thru dense brush. We all have an equal responsibility. I once made the mistake of asking a 1000 yd. question on a benchrest forum and was nearly burned at the stake! Let's not start that here. I was only looking for advice on that site and got nothing but ridicule. I never went back. I will say this! I have killed a few head of game in the 1000 range and have not yet lost or crippled one because I was completely prepared. That's not to say I never will. In the 40 years I,ve hunted elk, I HAVE lost 2 at close range.....Rich
GOD BLESS ALL OF YOU!

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.