Whats the longest shot you would take on a brown bear

Definitely not Long Range Hunting.
-There's an archery section here on the forum. So, clearly there's exceptions.

-On this forum, there have been polls and threads where most of you all clearly keep things inside 500y…which for me is NOT long range hunting.

Same is true on this specific thread.

-the point was they die like anything else, while people are talking about carrying and loading everything short of a artillery battalion to hunt brown bear. I'm not against the extra insurances per say, and as someone that has hunted grizzly with a bow myself, I get it. However, a decently placed shot at 600y with a 200gr A frame will work fine, and a 150gr arrow at 20 yards will work too.

300-400 max. Depending on the guide you might not get that. A few might let you push it to 450. The 338 RUM will get it done.

Part of the thrill is getting close. A friend just got back from his hunt this past year. His shot came at 20 yards on a 9 1/2 footer as they were trying to sneak in close enough for a shot. Topped a ridge and he had decided to meet them half way. They just got above him and saw him first. Fun!!!

Rifle was a 338 Win Mag

And that is why big bear hunters should practice the 3 shots in close drill. Start with one target at 25 yards for 3 shots. Then move on to 3 appropriately spaced targets. Speed AND accuracy BOTH count here. Some of the practice could be done with a less than grizzly bear caliber. I use the same rifle and scope, just in a lighter caliber. You are working on the rhythm of the sequence: Shoot, Reload, Acquire target - Repeat. Then fine tune with the bear caliber.

And that is why big bear hunters should practice the 3 shots in close drill. Start with one target at 25 yards for 3 shots. Then move on to 3 appropriately spaced targets. Speed AND accuracy BOTH count here. Some of the practice could be done with a less than grizzly bear caliber. I use the same rifle and scope, just in a lighter caliber. You are working on the rhythm of the sequence: Shoot, Reload, Acquire target - Repeat. Then fine tune with the bear caliber.

There was a required portion of a test for professional hunters in Africa (can't remember which country) that entailed…..3 targets at different ranges. From memory, I think the first was straight away at 20 yards, the second was @ 15 yards and to the left 10 yards from center, then the last was @ 10 yards 10 yards from center line. The kill zone was a 4" circle, with the goal of hitting the 4" circle on each target as rapidly as possible starting with the farther east target.

The guides "stopping rifle" must be used. I can't remember the time limit…..but I think it was 5 seconds. It's been a long time since I read about it, so the details may not be totally accurate! memtb

Should get the Brown like we catch Polar Bears, cut hole in ice,place fish in front of the hole when the Polar Bear bends over to get the fish you just kick him in the ice hole.Must have good BC boot for this kind of work!!
I've heard this works well for elephant hunting as well, but having dug a hole and filled it with ash instead cutting a hole in ice.

There was a required portion of a test for professional hunters in Africa (can't remember which country) that entailed…..3 targets at different ranges. From memory, I think the first was straight away at 20 yards, the second was @ 15 yards and to the left 10 yards from center, then the last was @ 10 yards 10 yards from center line. The kill zone was a 4" circle, with the goal of hitting the 4" circle on each target as rapidly as possible starting with the farther east target.

The guides "stopping rifle" must be used. I can't remember the time limit…..but I think it was 5 seconds. It's been a long time since I read about it, so the details may not be totally accurate! memtb

I talked with an African guide for a couple hours. He said, "If you hit the circle line you failed."

Which John Burns is this of which you speak? memtb

The Mr. Burns that I refer to has built a lot of long range rifles, pretty much an expert on them from what I have read of his posts over on 24hrcampfire.

I believe that I watched a video that me made shooting a Grizzley with a 264 Win Mag with 140g of sorts, at some distance.

I was talking to a friend whos planing to go on a hunt . Hes taking a 338RUM he thinks he might take a long shot at one. But i said he should keep it close. Hes said i worry to much which might be true but elk are alot nice then a ****ed off bear. Just wanted to get your thoughts on it
Depends on who is wading into the thick brush to finish off a wounded browny.
Mike

There used to be a video from a couple guys in Africa hunting Lions. It was on VHS about 25-30 years ago in the early 90's. It was a private video a friend had from a hunt a buddy of his was on. We watched it at his house maybe 99'? Guy shot a big male just over 300 yards with a 375 H&H 270 gr SP. He got nervous and was afraid they would loose the Lion in the bush so he rushed the shot and hit him a little far back, gut shot. The big male ran off into a thicket. When they got to where he went in the PH had the two hunters stand back at the ready. He sent five armed trackers in to retrieve the big cat. The PH stayed with the hunters. On the video you can hear the gases escaping the lions bowels. All of a sudden the big cat burst out of the thicket into a blaze of gun fire. They shot him 26 times in less than a minute the last time in the ear hole as he tore a leg below the knee from one of the hunters, killed one of the trackers if memory serves me correctly. Cape Buffalo kill more people than any other dangerous game. What they don't tell you is most of those animals are wounded. Shooting any dangerous game beyond 300-400 yards, I would say over 200 for some, is not a good idea and if you do make sure you have a good rest and you shoot true, otherwise you need to be the first one in to retrieve him. A brown ain't no dear!

Last edited:
There used to be a video from a couple guys in Africa hunting Lions. It was on VHS about 25-30 years ago in the early 90's. It was a private video a friend had from a hunt a buddy of his was on. We watched it at his house maybe 99'? Guy shot a big male just over 300 yards with a 375 H&H 270 gr SP. He got nervous and was afraid they would loose the Lion in the bush so he rushed the shot and hit him a little far back, gut shot. The big male ran off into a thicket. When they got to where he went in the PH had the two hunters stand back at the ready. He sent five armed trackers in to retrieve the big cat. The PH stayed with the hunters. On the video you can hear the gases escaping the lions bowels. All of a sudden the big cat burst out of the thicket into a blaze of gun fire. They shot him 26 times in less than a minute the last time in the ear hole as he tore a leg below the knee from one of the hunters, killed one of the trackers if memory serves me correctly. Cape Buffalo kill more people than any other dangerous game. What they don't tell you is most of those animals are wounded. Shooting any dangerous game beyond 300-400 yards, I would say over 200 for some, is not a good idea and if you do make sure you have a good rest and you shoot true, otherwise you need to be the first one in to retrieve him. A brown ain't no dear!

^^^^^^^^^^ This ^^^^^^^^^

A very strong "Amen" from me! memtb