Long Range Zero

Roy, I figured, it is easy to hold over shot this side of 400 yards with any flat shooting rifle. I start losing my confidence though, in my ability to guesstimate hold over beyond that. Me and my buddy, well, at least my buddy had been dumping deer at around 700 yards this days with regularity and it's about time to streach it out a bit. Just designed two gong that simulate mulies vitals area for target practice. Now all I need is a bigger stick. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

I have kicked this around a lot lately as well. Where I hunt it is really hard to know what I am going to need so it is hard to say what is the best method. I have the NPR2 reticle but if the range needs something in-between the hash marks I do not want to compensate.

So I just decided to zero at 100 yards and leave the scope dialed there. Once I get to where I am hunting I range the area and determine what my zero needs to be. So if I cannot shoot less than 300 yards and the max is 500 yards I will most likely dial in 400-450 and leave the scope there. If time allows I will finish the adjustment based on the range and chart. If things happen fast I am pretty darn close which is all you can ask for and I do not have to worry about hold over or anything else.

It is a tough call as to what is correct but if you have an animal at 400-600 yards or further he may be in brush, timber or something else and you cannot be close. Even if an elf has a 12" or larger kill zone you may be required to stick a bullet through a 3" hole to kill him. To do this at much distance you need to be very precise.

[ QUOTE ]

Even if an elf has a 12" or larger kill zone you may be required to stick a bullet through a 3" hole to kill him. To do this at much distance you need to be very precise.

[/ QUOTE ]
When does elf season open? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I tried a bit of a unique shot at a spike elk this year and noticed something in the final moment of braking the trigger that got me to thinking.

This situation is completely applicable to me and not to most others but I tend to get the "fever" however much reduced in my later years. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

When younger and a really big buck appeared I just couldn't keep from looking at the horns while attempting to shoot into the boiler room. I don't know how many trophies I shot over top of. Well, yes I do, it was 3. But **** it WAS exciting! Then depressing.

This year I made a 2 hour stalk on a herd of bulls that were bedded. (I had a antlerless tag and spikes had to be less than 6") I kept congratulating myself on how calm I was while crawling the last few yards to the shooting position. 430 yards was as close as I was going to get. Again I was pleased to have been calm enough to consider other paths to get closer.

As I set up for the shot the wind was in the 30 mph range and very gusty. I looked at the drop chart and held accordingly. I even waited for the wind to get back to the proper condition.

BUT, when the rifle went off I noticed that my eye was focused on the reticle intersection NOT the hold over/into the wind point. Maybe that's why I missed......

When shooting at water bottles, rocks etc I have no problem using the reticle for hold over. There seems to be a bit of a difference when there is hair in view.

Thus my drop chart has both mil hold over and windage data and MOA for when I have the time to make the clicks.

Most of my long range spots have nothing but air/wind for about 600 yds to the other side of the canyons.

Don't feel too bad Roy. It happens to all of us. I once missed a beatiful cinammon colored Black Bear at a mere 300 yards distance. Rather than concentrating on my crosshair placement I found myself admiring the animal instead. Shooting my 300 Win Mag zeroed at 100 yards at that distance to missed by a foot over the animal's back, say's much about where my hold over was. I'd been blasting ground squirrels twice that distance without any problems. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

[ QUOTE ]
When does elf season open?

[/ QUOTE ]

December 24th at about 11:15 EST, also reindeer tags can be had for $419.95 a piece but it is a lottery drawing.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.