Long range scope

elkins93

Ive been in the market for a new long range mil dot or moa style scope for awhile now but cant find what I want. Im wanting one I can zero at say 200 and adjust for a 700 yard shot and after im done be able to return it to its original zero. Can anyone help me?

Ive been in the market for a new long range mil dot or moa style scope for awhile now but cant find what I want. Im wanting one I can zero at say 200 and adjust for a 700 yard shot and after im done be able to return it to its original zero. Can anyone help me?

It depends on what gun you are shooting as far as being able to get to 700 yards and dial back to 200, but any scope should be able to dial back and forth. The biggest difference is going to be in repeatability. That is a big part of what determines the cost of a scope, along with other things. Give us some more details i.e. what gun and what your price range is and we can give you some more details.

Without spending almost $4000 on the best scope in the world IMO, the US Optics 5-25x58mm, 34mm tube w/H37 reticle, I went with what I consider the next best rifle scope out there... the Horus Falcon 5-20x50mm, 30mm STEEL tube with the H-37 reticle.

With any Horus reticle, you zero at 100m/yds then use the reticle for all other uses. That simple. Horus has MOA and MIL reticles. No dial ups, no dialing for wind or movers. Use your ballistic program if you have one or a whiz wheel / cheat sheet/ range card for your holds.

The glass is crystal clear and the scope is practically indestructible. The turrets have caps so they will not be bumped by accident or fouled in anyway.

I use the H-37 reticle with an internal 17.5 moa (4 mils) offset and Burris Signature Z rings with the .010 posi-align inserts for an additional 19.5 MOA on a flat picatinny rail. So I can actually use the reticle, without dial ups, out to 1500m +. The reticle is easy to use once you spend a bit of time learning how shoot it. Although it is a fine reticle, it is easy to see in practically all lighting conditions. The reticle is also illuminated if you find yourself shooting into shadows or bright backgrounds.

Horus backs all of their products 100% of the time and the staff is great to work with.

But rifles and riflescopes are an individual choice according to your use and taste. I prefer Jack Daniels... you might be a Manhattan person. It's all about choice and one shot... one kill.

Good Luck Pardner! Happy and Successful Shooting!!

Animo et Fide "Courage and Faith"

DocB

I have looked at the horus scopes; and used the simulator they have and I, just worried itll be a lot of trouble to figure out in the real world.

What about the Vortex Viper PST? I don't own one, but have heard a lot of positive comments on dial up/down repeatability. Their glass has mixed reviews, but that is always a matter of preference for me. It has a zero stop. Dialing up to 700 yds in one revolution is possible, depending on the speed, design and caliber of the bullet you are shooting. On some of my rifles, my zero is 300 yds., but my stop is set at 200 yds.

I have the Vortex HSLR 6-24X50, 30mm tube, with the XLR first focal plane reticle and couldn't be happier. It is a lot of scope for $850. No need for a spotting scope as I can see my bullet holes through the scope.

Some have questioned the 1/2 MOA elevation adjustment. Believe me, you won't miss the loss of 1/4 MOA at all. The windage turret is capped as well but the XLR reticle is fabulous and should be easy enough to learn to where you'll never dial windage again anyway. In fact, in a fast shot environment, I won't click for elevation. I can get to 1000 using just the reticle.

The clicks are positive, audible clicks. It has the Vortex Zero Stop and plenty of travel to get most calibers to 1000 yards.

The Viper PST is the more popular scope but IMHO, the Viper HSLR, First Focal Plane XLR reticle is a superior HUNTING scope It has all the bells has the ability for faster target acquisition, just as clear and sharp of glass. It has paralax adjustment on left side, elevation turret o right, reticle focus near eyepiece and zoom range knob just beyond rerticle focus ring.

By a large margin this Vortex Viper HSLR 6-24X50 is the best scope I have evr seen for under $1000.

My main rifle has the Vortex Razor HD 5-20X50 with the EBR 2B reticle. This scope has the most positive stop and most audible and tactile clicks on any turret I have ever tried. Glass is exceptional and reticle tracking is as good as it gets. I have the new HS-T, however I loaned it out to a friend as I am waiting for the rifle to be built still. It works well, basically a 2nd focal plane PST with no illumination. On his Tikka T3 Sporter in 6.5X55, we were shooting it today and he made a second round hit on a 980 meter steel target, this was the first time he took this rifle that far and we were impressed with the tracking and repeatability for a scope that was only $600.

My vote goes for the Razor, with the PST/HS-T coming in second.

YMMV.

if you can afford nightforce, its a no brainer. If your budget is under $1k then the PST or HSLR models from vortex is the way to go. I have a PST 2.5-10x44 on a .243 that works very well to 1K.
The XLR reticule that was previously mentioned is an AWSOME reticle. I am waiting for it to make its way into the PST line up and then I will buy two.

Just my 2 cents...

For those of you looking and who use a FFP mil reticle and are hell-bent on Nightforce, you really should look into the Horus Falcon or Horus Raptor. If you don't like FFP then the Horus Predator might be for you, It comes with the MOA reticle. Save a few dollars and get an incredible scope with the reticle of your choice. Nope, I don't sell 'em or get a kick back.. I just own one! lol :D

Check 'em out!

Good shooting fellas!

DocB

Horus has hit the nail on the head in one aspect, and totally dropped the ball on another. IMO they are the leaders in reticule design and have brought a hole slew of great ideas to the table. Being able to get past 1k with a just a reticule, and to do it fast, is an accomplishment.
Where they really need to pick up their socks is on the turret end of things. Turrets are nice, practical and the worlds best use them... for a good reason. For me they allow a solid hold ate any range without getting lost in my reticule when I have the time. The reticle is a great back up and ranging/estimating tool.
I feel that with the way the market is now, there is no reason for a scope at the $750 mark not to have good turrets, a good reticule and a decent piece of glass. for me this is the PST line from Vortex.
The XLR reticule really looks like a not-so-busy Horus knock off.

If your budget is much less than all the previous mentioned I would look at the fixed power SWFA's. $300 and they hold zero and repeat click very accurately for the money. Best "bang" for you buck on a budget as far as I'm concerned.

The first thing to be considered when scope "shopping" should be the intended target.

Deer/elk?? Then you don't need a 5 million power scope....700 yards can be easily done with nothing more than a 10 power scope. And to make it easier, it can be done with a Luppy TMR reticle, of something like it.

Too many folks get bought up on "super-power" scopes, that call the Hubble telescope their father, yet folks have making shots of these types for years with less.

Don't get me wrong, I like the big scopes too, but if you want a mountain rifle, and weight MUST be a consideration, then yes, a Luppy "M" series scope with a TMR reticle, will definitely get 'er done.

Now, if we're talking about long shots at ground-squirrels, then lots of power on a big scope will definitely be needed.

Again, for deer & elk.....don't tell me it can't be easily done with nothing more than 10 power, it can.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.