Savage Long Range Hunter Scope/Mounting

jeremyd4l

Hello,
I am new to hunting style rifles and scopes in general. I have been shooting for years but handguns and AR rifles with red dots, and then my friends rifles. I may sound like a total idiot, but I am ok with that, everyone was at this point one time or another.

I just bought a Savage Long Range Hunter 11/111 7mm Rem Mag and also a Vortex Viper 6.5-20X50 scope. My goal is to reach 1000+ yards but I know that will take time. I do want to also go down as close as 100 yards for target and potential hunting reasons.

I bought the Weaver Extended Multi Slot 20 MOA mount and Weaver 30mm Tactical Rings that are LOW (1/4" I believe). When I was doing research I saw I believe the same set up and it seemed to fit good, but I don't know if that would go down to 100 yards. Do I need 20 MOA for 1000 yards with a 7mm and that scope? The scope is a mil-dot so I can always use those as my zero if NEED BE but I would rather it center for my zero.

I emailed Vortex and they said Medium rings would work good but that was with a 0 MOA so I am wondering if that 20 MOA counter acts the Med Rings.

Also I am going to have the Caps on the scope so I would need enough clearance for those to slide on.

If anyone could help with those few questions that would be good.

Thanks, and I thanks for having me on here.

I have a 7RM and the same scope. If you handload and can get your FPS up above what normal factory ammo produces and shoot a bullet with a decent BC you will be ok at 1,000 yards, IMO. I had a 0 moa rail originally but it topped out at about 850 yards with the 162 AMAX and 775 with the 162 SST.

A 200 yard zero works good for the occasional 100 yard shot and makes it a little easier to get out to 1,000.

You can get a 10 or 15 moa rail if that works better for your setup.

I had that scope on a savage .260 with medium rings and a 0 moa base. The base didn't align perfectly and I had to use a lot of windage adjustment to get it zeroed. I didn't know it but that also uses up your elevation. I could only reach 800 yards. It may reach 1000 for you, I would guess you would be close with the 20 moa base. You would have to try it to know for sure.

Desertbull,
Can you zero at 100 yards if you wanted to? what MOA is your mount? what rings?

I spur of the moment bought some 2 piece mounts and rings at Bass Pro last week with some help from a sales member and I ended up with rings that stick out over the mount, which I don't know if that normal or not but it doesn't seem to be. Also the rings are extra high, which seem to be HUGE, and way more than I need. It sucks because that Bass Pro is the closest one to me and a good 1 1/2 hrs away.

So I hoped online and did more research and I saw a 50mm Vortex scope on a rifle (same model, different cal) with a 20 MAO rail and the fitting looked perfect. So I ordered them online and do not have them yet, should be next week when I get them.

I know the 20 MOA is not needed for this, but I, for now, am more worried about the 100-700 yards than the 1000 yards. My main concern is that 20 MOA won't let me go down to 100. But I guess unless someone has the exact set up I got to just wait until I can try for myself.

I hope they do work well because I am eager to take my new rifle out! gun)

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.