Long Range Caliber?

At those ranges, either of the 6.5CM or 308 would suffice. Since you do not handload, the 6.5CM "may" have the edge over a 308. I used the 308 or 7.62x51mm for years on the 1,000yd prone and Palma lines, and it is very capable with proper loads.

Even today, we train a few new LR shooters with fast twist 223/5.56 rifles using 75-80gr bullets all the way out to the 1,000yd line. They are great for wind training, low recoil, and allow for numerous more rounds down range at reduced costs and longer throat life.
The .223 I have is a 1/8 twist but only has an 18" barrel. I currently use that rifle as a training gun to work on fundamentals at 100 and 200 yards.

It's a sporter barrel that is suppressor ready, currently waiting for one to get out of jail that I will be putting on that.

Cheap way to,.. LR Accuracy,..
Buy yourself, a "Shot Out" Tikka, T-3, SS in .270 - .300 WSM or, 7mm R. Mag / .300 Win Mag ( Magnum Bolt Face, Action and Magazines ) and Put, a Heavy Sporter, 26" 1-8.3 Twist, Barrel from, Krieger, Brux or, Bartlein with, a .710 to .715 Muzzle Diameter on it with, a Final weight in, the 10.5 to 11.5 lb, all up, Scoped,.. "range" which can be,.. Lugged up most Hills to Hunt,.. LR Big Game, too !
Put an, Elay Precision Trigger Spring in it and, Build,.. a 7 SAUM,.. DONE !
Good to around, 2,000 Yards on Steel Plates with, the Right Bullet and good on Elk,.. to 1,000+ ish, yds !
ADG makes, FINE Brass and there are, LOTS of,.. "Good", 7mm Bullets !
The bigger 7's and, the .300 WSM,.. WIN at, 1000 yd, BR for,.. a REASON

Last edited:
I had a .308 target gun which was more or less over the counter and ended up replacing it with a 6.5CM custom gun that I put together myself. For shooting out to 1000, the 6.5CM is better than the .308 based on its flatter shooting characteristics at that distance and reduced recoil. Shooting next to my buddy with his .308 AI duty gun, the drop difference even out to 600 was noticeable. The gun shot great, but I ultimately ended up cannibalizing the 6.5 build for other things because it was set up like a PRS gun and I don't shoot nor do I intend to ever shoot PRS. Shortly after I had built the CM, that is when 6.5PRC was just coming out and if I had to go back and do it again I would have gone 6.5PRC. I think inevitably when you find your rhythm and discover that 1000 yards really isn't that far you are going to wonder what 1200, 1400, etc are like. I think the 6.5PRC is better for that and reaches the greater potential of that caliber. Parts like barrels in heavy contours are also readily available. You even see guys shooting 2100 yards with it at the NF Steel Challenge, so I feel that it has much more potential as a long range target cartridge especially while sticking to a short action.

I currently own three Browning X-Bolts (.223 rem., 7mm-08-, and .300-win mag) which are hunting rifles and have sporter profile barrels, so I am wanting to get a rifle that will be a dedicated long range target rifle only.
If you like the x-bolt then consider the X-Bolt Pro McMillan Long Range. You get heavy sporter barrel and McMillan grip is great for relaxed trigger finger making for consistent shots. 6.5 CM is great choice.

The Expected Barrel "Life" of a well "taken care of" ( Bbl. kept, fairly COOL and cleaned, correctly ), for the 6.5 Creed, is about, 3,000 to 3,500 rds
( so, the .308 is 2 X that, but NOT,.. 3 or, 4 Times )
A 6.5 PRC, will last from 900 to 1,200 rounds as, the 140 gr. Bullet is going 3,100 FPS vs 2,700 for SAME Bullet, in the 6.5 Creed ( 400 FPS Velocity MORE, IS, a LOT of, Barrel "Heat", Bro ). It's, a FINE, LR Deer / Elk Cartridge ( But for, Lot'sa Steel, FUN,.. NO ! ).
The .308 shoots, 150 to 173 / 180 grain Bullets for almost, TWICE the "felt Recoil" of, a 130 gr. 6.5 creed,.. going, 2,800 FPS.
These ARE the "Facts" that, I've heard ( and KNOW ) and, WHY, I chose, the Creedmoor, as My "all around" Mid sized, Game Rifle and for,..
a L R Target shooting, cartridge !
There's lots of, 6.5 Creed "Haters",.. BUT, I'm just NOT, one of, them !

Last edited:
Today, I will be loading some, 130 grain, .553 BC ELD-M's, @ 2,800 FPS, as my EASY on, the Shoulder,.. Steel, "Plinking Load" ( and for Yotes, too ).
I use, the 143 gr. ELD-X's at, 2,735 FPS for, Big Game. at, Reasonable Ranges.

Last edited:
After doing a significant amount of research, went for a 7 prc, which is a good long range shooter.
I've had no issues ever finding ammo in stock for it.
If I lost it, wouldn't have to wonder what to replace it with, it would be another 7 prc.

After doing a significant amount of research, went for a 7 prc, which is a good long range shooter.
I've had no issues ever finding ammo in stock for it.
If I lost it, wouldn't have to wonder what to replace it with, it would be another 7 prc.
The 7 PRC is, a Fine, Long Range, Elk, Moose / Big Deer Cart. But, the OP wants something to, Target shoot with,.. also.
My son built, a 7 PRC, but He doesn't go out shooting it at, Steel, every week or Two, like, I,.. do.
He's expecting, 1,000 to 1,300 rounds of,.. Barrel "Life" and he's fine,.. with,.. THAT !
The OP needs something like,.. the 7mm-08, .308 or, the 6.5 Creedmoor for, "Good" barrel "Life" and LOTS of, Target shooting

Last edited:
Just plinking, .223 for varmint\coyote, 7mm-08 for deer and .300 win mag for Elk. Would you go heavy sporter contour or with a bull barrel?
I'd go with, a 24" to 26", "Heavy Sporter" barrel, to stay around, the 9.5 to,10 Pound Mark ( .705 - .710 dia., Muzzle ).
NO,.. "Truck Axle" 13+ lb Rifles, for,.. Me !

Last edited:
When barrels do wear out, they are not difficult to change at least.
I view it as maintenance, like changing the oil, filters, and greasing the Case 540 Quadtrac. Every so often it has to be be done, but don't stop using the tractor because of it needing some maintenance done. There is even a possibility that someone may enjoy working on their guns, or even tractors. Or possibly it's just me who enjoys working on things. 🙂