best long range caliber

matty ny

hey guys im new to sight and was just wondering if i was to buy one gun what caliber should it be? Someone told me 300 or 338 rum . just wondering thanks matty

Do you want to keep things simple or entertain a little more work? And, what exactly are you planning on using it for?

One simple gun only, that is overkill on a lot of stuff: I'd go 338 Lapua. You get the best brass and a bigass bullet and there is no other caliber that can champion it to any real noticeable margin, IMO.

You want some pizazz? 338 Edge, one of Kirby's calibers, 338 Lapua improved...

You want anything in between: I'd go 300 RUM with a 210 Berger VLD first. I cannot think of much of anything this won't handle.

There are way too many choices.

If we were next to each other shooting at 2 elk at 950 yards, I'd be just as comfy with my 7mag and a 180 VLD or my 300 RUM and a 210 VLD even if you had any 338 configuration. And, I don't think you, the elk, nor I would be able to say something is more lifeless than the other.

Picking one gun is just like picking one woman. She's out there somewhere, just start grabbing some tush and see which one cranks your tractor, because she's got to handle every situation you want to put her in. :D

hey guys im new to sight and was just wondering if i was to buy one gun what caliber should it be? Someone told me 300 or 338 rum . just wondering thanks matty

I don't think that one caliber will do everything but there are some that will be close.

My recommendation would be the 300 RUM even though it is overkill on some game.

It can be loaded with heavy bullets and take just about any living thing.

It can also be loaded down to 30/06 levels for a less powerful and recoiling round.

They seam to be inherently accurate and very easy to load for.

Just my choice.

J E CUSTOM

Depends on what you are going to do with it. If your just hunting the east get something economical to shoot and you can have fun with. It doesn't take much for whitetails. If you hunt the west and want value then get a 338 RUM. I also like the 300 ultramag which I am using right now on long range deer and antelope but for a one rifle guy it has a shorter barrel life. The 338 RUM has long barrel life and can take you well beyond 1000 yards. It is a rifle you can keep for a lifetime and kill anything you come across with it.

A big magnum is not necessary though if you prefer a cartridge more pleasant and less expensive to shoot. The big guns require a muzzle brake and that turns many off if they only have one rifle and want to shoot it a lot. If I had to stay under $1000 and buy one rifle to do me the rest of my life it would be either a remington 700 in 338 RUM or a Tikka T-3 light in 338 winchester. That comes from a lot of experience hunting all over North America for 40 years. I have and hunt with both now.

The tikka is lighter, doesn't require a brake so more pleasant to shoot, cheaper to shoot and is deadly accurate to 800 yards. The rem 700 in 338 RUM shoots on average 300 fps faster therefore extending the range a little. In a light factory rifle that may not help you any anyway. It is a better extreme long range performer though if that is your objective. The new sierra loading manual lists three loads with the 300 grain SMK at 2750 fps in a 26" barrel remington 700. This will kill an animal as far as you would ever be able to hit it with a standard rifle. Just look at all the long range kills listed on the site with Edge and Lapua's shooting the same or slightly more velocity if they have 30" custom barrels.

Hey Long Time Ranger,

Don't mean to derail this thread but can you post those three Sierra SMK 338 Rum recipes?

They sound pretty tempting!

fatrack, A gunshop owner was showing that to me not long ago. The new sierra manual listed three loads at 2750 fps with the 300 smk in the 338 RUM. They used a model 700 remington 26" barrel for testing. I did not write them down because I have my own data and I hardly use heavy bullets any more in my 338 RUM. Wal mart sells sierra reloading manuals and you can just stop by and look it up. Mine is a standard rem 700 with 26" barrel and I get best accuracy at 2730 fps with the 300 smk.

Nice honest write up Long range long time,
Thanks for sharing some of your knowledge.

Awesome... New here and apparently under caliber as I only own a Sendero in 300 WM... No big deal and I appreciate the forum info!

Cheers,
DReaux
(Derek)

Do you want to keep things simple or entertain a little more work? And, what exactly are you planning on using it for?

One simple gun only, that is overkill on a lot of stuff: I'd go 338 Lapua. You get the best brass and a bigass bullet and there is no other caliber that can champion it to any real noticeable margin, IMO.

You want some pizazz? 338 Edge, one of Kirby's calibers, 338 Lapua improved...

You want anything in between: I'd go 300 RUM with a 210 Berger VLD first. I cannot think of much of anything this won't handle.

There are way too many choices.

If we were next to each other shooting at 2 elk at 950 yards, I'd be just as comfy with my 7mag and a 180 VLD or my 300 RUM and a 210 VLD even if you had any 338 configuration. And, I don't think you, the elk, nor I would be able to say something is more lifeless than the other.

Picking one gun is just like picking one woman. She's out there somewhere, just start grabbing some tush and see which one cranks your tractor, because she's got to handle every situation you want to put her in. :D

Do you reload ?
That narrows down the list but yes 300 and 338 are good starts .

I don,t know how much long range shooting you do but a very good all around long range gun is the 7mm mag. I have been using one for many years at 1000 yards and it has never let me down. It has also done well on deer, elk, hogs, and Moose with no problems at long range. The next choice would be the 6.5-284 with sufficent freebore in a 26 in barrel. It is a wildcat but an easy one to work with and reload. It is the current favorite on the long range benchrest competitions. Both of these are good long range bench rifles and longe range hunting rifles with very managable recoil. Hope this helps.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.