Long Range Caliber?

mww982

I'm interested in getting into long range target shooting but struggling with what caliber rifle to get. I don't reload, so looking for something that has readily available factory ammo options. I currently own three Browning X-Bolts (.223 rem., 7mm-08-, and .300-win mag) which are hunting rifles and have sporter profile barrels, so I am wanting to get a rifle that will be a dedicated long range target rifle only. From what I have been researching it seems like 6.5 Creedmoor and .308 would be the best two options for me, I'm leaning towards the 6.5CM but want to get others' opinions before making a decision. Barrel wise, should I be looking at a bull barrel or heavy sporter contour?

Last edited:
You can still shoot long range with a Sporter contour barrel. If you learn your data on previous engagements(dope) then you dial your scope for any distance and have through knowledge of your gun. And using the guns you have will save roughly $2000 that you can spend on reloading equipment if that interest you or whatever. If you want to have a reason to buy a gun just say so

You can still shoot long range with a Sporter contour barrel. If you learn your data on previous engagements(dope) then you dial your scope for any distance and have through knowledge of your gun. And using the guns you have will save roughly $2000 that you can spend on reloading equipment if that interest you or whatever. If you want to have a reason to buy a gun just say so
Always need to have a reason to justify a gun to the wife....

Always need to have a reason to justify a gun to the wife....
Then go with the reason you need to be able to protect them from intruders and go with a belt fed 🤣. If looking at new rifles I'd look at something with more power for long range than those 2. Sooner or later you may want to hunt with that rifle and want something that carries more energy out to the distance you had been shooting paper

I want to keep those as dedicated hunting rifles and wan't a heavier barrel with a target gun.
Yes you do. A pencil barrel will beat you up for long outings of target shooting with a heavy cartridge.

If you're just plinking and don't intend to hunt with it, get the CM.

If you plan to hunt with it in addition to targets I'd go 308.

Just my .02

Then go with the reason you need to be able to protect them from intruders and go with a belt fed 🤣. If looking at new rifles I'd look at something with more power for long range than those 2. Sooner or later you may want to hunt with that rifle and want something that carries more energy out to the distance you had been shooting paper
This is also true on both counts lol!

I'd go with the 6.5 CM and a bull barrel.

I recently had @Triggered Precision put together a Solus action and Krieger barrel in 6mm Creedmoor. It's been shooting 1/4 moa, 3-shot groups, using factory loaded match ammo.

Attachments

• 20230926_131138.jpg
    20230926_131138.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 28
Yes you do. A pencil barrel will beat you up for long outings of target shooting with a heavy cartridge.

If you're just plinking and don't intend to hunt with it, get the CM.

If you plan to hunt with it in addition to targets I'd go 308.

Just my .02
Just plinking, .223 for varmint\coyote, 7mm-08 for deer and .300 win mag for Elk. Would you go heavy sporter contour or with a bull barrel?

Ok my first question would be What is Long Range for you ! Then search for a Caliber that performs to that distance and then some .
I would recomend a heavy barrel , this will help you stay on target for follow up shots .
I just shot in my first Prs match last weekend . I had a Ruger Rpr in 6.5 creedmore just setting in the box . I tryed what i had for factory ammo. It shot ok but I wanted more and you will to I'm sure!
Our targets were from 100 yards out to 1054 yards . The 6.5 creedmore actually performed well .
I would recomend a rifle in that caliber to start off . If you dont like hitting target long distance then it would be easy to sell.
If you do like the long range shooting you will move to a bigger Caliber!
Good Luck in your Choice !

Rum Man

Just plinking, .223 for varmint\coyote, 7mm-08 for deer and .300 win mag for Elk. Would you go heavy sporter contour or with a bull barrel?
Awesome cartridge choices for the hunting.

I'd go medium target contour or bigger (about .800 at muzzle) I ran a M24 contour on my 300wm I built for long range and really liked the barrel weight.

With the 6.5/308 a medium target would be just right imo