Long Range Caliber?

I'm interested in getting into long range target shooting but struggling with what caliber rifle to get. I don't reload, so looking for something that has readily available factory ammo options. I currently own three Browning X-Bolts (.223 rem., 7mm-08-, and .300-win mag) which are hunting rifles and have sporter profile barrels, so I am wanting to get a rifle that will be a dedicated long range target rifle only. From what I have been researching it seems like 6.5 Creedmoor and .308 would be the best two options for me, I'm leaning towards the 6.5CM but want to get others' opinions before making a decision. Barrel wise, should I be looking at a bull barrel or heavy sporter contour?
I would agree that 6.5 CM is a great caliber if you don't want to reload. I've got a Bergara that shoots so well with all the factory ammo I've tried, that I don't waste my time reloading for it. I have always been a huge Sierra fan, but my 6.5 shoots factory Hornady ammo (everything I've tried) into the same hole at 100 yds.

I agree with the 6.5 creedmoor. In the past two years I have seen some of the top shooters going back to the 6.5. I started out 10 years ago with a Bergara 6.5 that came with a 22" barrel. I ran it for a couple years then I but a Benchmark MTU 24" match barrel on it. I also recommend a good muzzle break that will help reduce reoil even more and keep you on target. As for the ammo the Hornady Match is tough to beat and most importantly you can find it in most stores at a good price.

Hit up search for all your questions dozens of threads. Quickly of the cartridges you mentioned, so I will go with factory ammo. HB in 6.5 sucksmoor.

6.5CM with a medium or heavy barrel sounds like a good possibility for you but if you want to get out really far, 7prc will take you a lot farther, but there are lots of considerations:

LONG RANGE INTENSIONS:how far you want to shoot long range will affect your decision. Also for long range are you plinking or are you looking at competition or the best accuracy you can do with factory. (I enjoy ringing steel the most).

WEIGHT OF GUN AND BARREL: As many mentioned the heavier the barrel and gun, the less felt recoil, which will improve accuracy and ability to spot your shot.

BARREL LIFE: more powerful cartridges will get you out farther, but the faster the round, the faster the barrel burns out if that matters to you. look up barrel life on line

SHOOTING SESSION LENGTH: The more shooting you want to do at a session, the less recoil you want since more powerful cartridges (all things being equal) makes you less likely to shoot as much for one session.

SAVAGE ALLOWS EASY BARREL SWAPPING (to replace barrels and allows changes to different cartridges):
I have a SAVAGE 308 (sporter barrel) (Hornady precision hunter ammo (178 grain eldx) I plink out to 1000 yards with and also hunt with. (less accurate than hornady match cartridges)

SOME PRECISION FACTORY CARTRIDGES (check on availability in your area)
:
6.5 cm (147 eldm bullet)(a good choice with low recoil) (supersonic out to 1500 yards at zero feet elevation)
6.5 prc (high recoil)
7 prc (high recoil)(with 180 eldm bullet) (supersonic out to 1900 yards at zero feet elevation),
300 PRC (high recoil)

I have a Remington 700 5R heavy contoured barrel in 308. It shoots great! Right around a 1/2 inch with several factory loads. No problem going to 1,000 yds. It is about 10 lbs with the scope. I am learning how to read the wind and long shoot with it. I primarily shoot Federal 168 and 175 gold medal match. I do not hunt with it because of the weight. Recoil is not bad because of the weight So far I am pleased with it.

IMO you do not need a custom rifle for long-range shooting unless you have money to burn or you are competing.

I have never shot a 6.5 CM but I am sure it is great. I don't think you can go wrong with 308 or 6.5 CM. You are wise to stay away from many other calibers as the ammo is expensive and harder to find.

Since you have hunting (big game and varmint) calibers covered, it would be hard not to suggest either the 308 or the 6.5 calibers. The 6.5 vs 308 argument will never end and there are good reasons for both. Ammo availability is excellent for either. If you're a doomsday prepper, there is probably as much 308 ammo out there as there is 22 LR (this is hyperbole but there's a lot of it). I like the 6.5 most due to the lighter felt recoil and the better ballistics at longer range. The 6.5 doesn't have a massive advantage but I will say personally shooting beyond 700/750 yards, wind is such a difficult variable to account for and I will take all the help I can get beyond that mark. The heavier rifles do reduce recoil but I have found too heavy a rifle doesn't come out of my safe as often. I purchased a Badrock Southfork pre-covid and honestly it's so heavy and I so rarely shoot off varying types of platforms and scenarios that I just use my tikka CTR anytime I want to plink steel at long range. Best of luck in whatever you decide and I am a tikka bandwagoner but there are a lot of other great rifles out there.