reset zero range after firing?

Moose Fever

Hello,

I wonder if some of you reset zero at 100 yards after firing at 600 yards? Let's give you an example. You see two varmints at 650 yards and 325 yards. You dial to actual MOA for 325 yards then fire. You may forget the MOA number from 325 yards to 650 yards. Do you dial back to zero and start again for 650 yards?
confused.gif

Hello

You can go back to zero but if you tape your click chart to the side of your stock you will know what to subtract.
The click chart should start at a 100 yd zero and it can be made to go every 50 or 100 yards out to the maximum you want to shoot.
later
DC

I generally don't go back to the 100 yard zero unless I'm done shooting for the day.

For walking around I usually set the scope at 1 MOA high for varmint type hunting and 2 MOA high for deer, when time permits or the distance is long I set the scope for the measured distance and fire.

For a shoot at only long range, I adjust the scope to the desired setting/distance one after another without ever returning to the 100 zero.

I sight all my rifles in at 2.5 in high at 100yds since I only hunt big game. I know what my point blank range is for the particular rifle and what drop I have at what yardage past that point. Everyone does what works for them, but I never readjust my scope in the field.

Hello

For the Long-range and extreme-long-range you must go back to your 100 yard zero because of all the varible yardages you may be shooting.
There may be a shot at 1000 yards then the next may be at 1500 and then back to 600 again depending on where the game shows up.

If your not used to firing at varible ranges, It is VERY easy to forget how many clicks were actually put on. Therefore it is best to go back to the 100 yard zero after the firing is done at one range so you are ready for the next.

Darryl Cassel

Warning! This thread is more than 23 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.