Long Range Target Cam

My only thought is any kind of wind could topple it over due to the narrow base.
Thank you, Sir! Well, there will be holes drilled in the 'feet' to accept the small metal stakes used for ground-blinds and such. If it's windy enough to 'uproot' all that from the ground odds are I won't be shooting anyways. 😉

All the snow/ice melted as of today, but now the ground is a muddy, sloppy mess that I just don't wish to cover everything in right now, so I'll wait till the ground dries out some before anymore testing/shooting. Anyways, I drilled some holes in the 'feet' and glued in some 'inserts' that will allow 10" spikes to be driven through into the ground. We're gonna get there...
F398C46F-D157-4145-9A71-54C8E39368AC.jpeg65B3CDCE-904D-4897-A7E5-F4FD8354D678.jpeg081CA233-90D4-498B-B4AB-DDB01CBADC0C.jpegDA4790E2-5B31-40DE-8DFB-B71B42BC734D.jpeg

Okay folks.....first let me preface this by saying I'm going to try and just state the facts and leave my 'feelings/emotions' out of this. So, here we go. I was able to shoot the .300 Win Mag again today at 500 yards in much warmer temperatures (54 degrees), both the camera unit AND the base unit had fully charged power banks, I was using the elevated stand I built for the base unit, it was fully extended to 10 feet and was stable (west wind at 3-5 mph). Standing at the target 500 yards away from my shooting position the elevated base unit was clearly visible from it's raised position and 'line of sight' was clear of ANY obstructions. I never could get it to properly connect for whatever reason and as a result do not have any photos for that shooting session.
After I finished shooting at 500 yards I set up at 200 yards to re-establish a 200 yard zero for my rifle AND to see if I could get proper camera function at a lesser distance.
The first picture (I took with my phone) you can clearly see my shooting lane and the target. The second picture (taken with my phone) shows the camera unit pointed at the target. The third picture (taken with my phone) shows the elevated base unit which was directly behind my prone shooting position and pointed at the target/camera unit.
B9597943-325F-4C8D-90A6-E2B7B0D87188.jpeg012CBF92-6994-429C-A1E4-C29A754D58E3.jpeg4A520A4C-E6C0-40D6-B65E-AED8AEE29055.jpeg
I was able to establish proper connection initially at 200 yards and all seemed well. The first target camera picture was just a 200 yard 'sighter'.
52C64C7D-1FB2-4BCD-8872-61BE7287DAD1.jpeg
The second target camera picture (lower left diamond) was a 'zero' shot.
4E1C90FB-07B7-43C5-AEE4-4B987FB9FDC8.jpeg
The third target camera picture (center diamond) was the first of a 3-shot group.
A2E2711A-FBE7-4762-99FA-51E86E0F01EA.jpeg
Here's where things started to go downhill. The fourth target camera picture is a screen shot of some kind of 'error' it suddenly had and connectivity was lost. I had to walk down to the target with the base unit and tablet and after several attempts (shut downs/re-starts) was able to re-establish connection.
9BF86F9B-A894-46BD-88AD-5F95CF623200.jpeg
The fifth (and final) target camera picture was the second shot of the 3-shot group.
F6A54808-3006-4D1B-BACC-17554735DBB2.jpeg
I lost connectivity after this shot and do not have a target camera picture of the third shot of the group. I did, however, take a picture of the target with my phone after taking measurements and writing in the necessary data.
C8275D10-5E25-4562-88BE-D7955CE75C4A.jpeg
I am NOT going to 'bash' this target camera or the company I purchased it from. I've done what I could to try and make it work for MY applications and shooting area. Others may fare better in their areas with different equipment/upgrades. There could merely be something about this unit that I'm just 'not getting' or understanding. I don't know. You be the judge(s). I am pleased with how my rifle is shooting, however 😇.

Sorry to hear that you are still having issues with this setup, bro.

I am thoroughly convinced that if someone actually spends the time to create a quality, foolproof target camera that doesn't exhibit all of the bugs that the current offerings do, that they will be a zillionaire.

Sorry to hear that you are still having issues with this setup, bro.

I am thoroughly convinced that if someone actually spends the time to create a quality, foolproof target camera that doesn't exhibit all of the bugs that the current offerings do, that they will be a zillionaire.
Thanks brother! I really had high hopes for this. I'm wondering if some kind of outdoor WiFi point-to-point 'signal booster' would be any account 🤔? I don't know much about this kind of stuff I'm afraid.
If somebody actually does what you said I'd almost believe one would have to be a 'zillionaire' to afford it! 🤣😂😂🤣

Thanks for posting your results. I think you were fair in your review. When I first read about this system, I didn't have any faith in it.

A system can be made as the video below shows. Now this video was made in 2012 and components have changed a lots since that time. There are better, smaller and cheaper products available.

I think one of the main problems is the small antenna that is being used. The better the antenna, the better the transmission and reception.

Each time I read about one of these systems, I want to make my own.

Thanks for posting your results. I think you were fair in your review.
You're welcome and Thank you, Sir! Today, I have been in touch with the company (via email) and have expressed/explained the 'issues' I keep having with this camera system. I have to point out that the owner of the company has offered to send me his personal camera that he uses out to 2,000 yards until we can figure out what's going on with mine. The customer service and communication has been exemplary thus far. I just hope that we can get this going like it should. 😇

So, at the request of the company I sent the target camera back to them. They received it this past Friday and the owner checked it out and found an 'open circuit' in the antenna connection (which was most likely causing the 'connectivity issues') and he went ahead and replaced the entire camera unit. Said he tested it to 1,200 yards and it functioned 'flawlessly'. He is also upgrading the internal battery (to the camera unit) to a better Sony battery that should increase run time....especially in colder weather. Hopefully, I'll have it back soon and can do some more shooting/testing with it.

So, at the request of the company I sent the target camera back to them. They received it this past Friday and the owner checked it out and found an 'open circuit' in the antenna connection (which was most likely causing the 'connectivity issues') and he went ahead and replaced the entire camera unit. Said he tested it to 1,200 yards and it functioned 'flawlessly'. He is also upgrading the internal battery (to the camera unit) to a better Sony battery that should increase run time....especially in colder weather. Hopefully, I'll have it back soon and can do some more shooting/testing with it.
That's great to hear. Nice that they're standing behind their product with good CS.

Okay folks.....first let me preface this by saying I'm going to try and just state the facts and leave my 'feelings/emotions' out of this. So, here we go. I was able to shoot the .300 Win Mag again today at 500 yards in much warmer temperatures (54 degrees), both the camera unit AND the base unit had fully charged power banks, I was using the elevated stand I built for the base unit, it was fully extended to 10 feet and was stable (west wind at 3-5 mph). Standing at the target 500 yards away from my shooting position the elevated base unit was clearly visible from it's raised position and 'line of sight' was clear of ANY obstructions. I never could get it to properly connect for whatever reason and as a result do not have any photos for that shooting session.
After I finished shooting at 500 yards I set up at 200 yards to re-establish a 200 yard zero for my rifle AND to see if I could get proper camera function at a lesser distance.
The first picture (I took with my phone) you can clearly see my shooting lane and the target. The second picture (taken with my phone) shows the camera unit pointed at the target. The third picture (taken with my phone) shows the elevated base unit which was directly behind my prone shooting position and pointed at the target/camera unit.
View attachment 256211View attachment 256213View attachment 256215
I was able to establish proper connection initially at 200 yards and all seemed well. The first target camera picture was just a 200 yard 'sighter'.
View attachment 256218
The second target camera picture (lower left diamond) was a 'zero' shot.
View attachment 256220
The third target camera picture (center diamond) was the first of a 3-shot group.
View attachment 256223
Here's where things started to go downhill. The fourth target camera picture is a screen shot of some kind of 'error' it suddenly had and connectivity was lost. I had to walk down to the target with the base unit and tablet and after several attempts (shut downs/re-starts) was able to re-establish connection.
View attachment 256224
The fifth (and final) target camera picture was the second shot of the 3-shot group.
View attachment 256225
I lost connectivity after this shot and do not have a target camera picture of the third shot of the group. I did, however, take a picture of the target with my phone after taking measurements and writing in the necessary data.
View attachment 256226
I am NOT going to 'bash' this target camera or the company I purchased it from. I've done what I could to try and make it work for MY applications and shooting area. Others may fare better in their areas with different equipment/upgrades. There could merely be something about this unit that I'm just 'not getting' or understanding. I don't know. You be the judge(s). I am pleased with how my rifle is shooting, however 😇.
Just thinking outside the box are there any high tension lines near it or some other kind of interference possibly

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.