Long range scope

bstomper

I have been a member for awhile now but haven't posted much at all, just lurking and soaking up info. I am shooting a winchester model 70 in 7mm rem mag with a 3-9x40 bushnell 3200. While this scope has done very well for me for the shot distance hunting and shooting that I have been doing, I would like to upgrade to a longer range scope so i can reach out a bit further. I don't hand load but I have found that my gun realy like the remington psp core lokt in 150gr. I have figured out where to hold my reticle so I can consistantly hit a 10"x10" gong target out to 500 yards. This medium range shooting has got me wanting to shoot even further. I am hoping that with a better scope geared towards the longer ranges, My gun and amo will be up to the task of shooting further.
I have been looking at the vortex viper HST scopes but I am uncertain which one to get. The 4-16x44 or the 6-24x50. I would like to try to shoot out to 1000 yard, again if my gun will be capable of acurate shots at that distance, and i am not sure which scope would be best suited for that range. I don't want to be overscoped in the magnafication area but I also don't want to be under scoped either. Would the 4-16 be good out to 1000 yards?

For what its worth a 4-16x44 seems like enough scope to hit 1k fairly easy. I have the 4-16x50 viper pst on my 300 wm and it seems more than adequate. Plus being able to go as low as 4 power is nice when you find yourself in thick cover. Just my 2 cents. My guess is once you start shooting at that range though the inconsistencies of the core-lokt ammo will start to show.

Thanks for the input. I was hoping to hear that about the 4-16. I also kind of figure that about the factory loads but that's not a problem. I have a few friends and a father in law that reload. I just haven't had a reason to till now.

Go for the 4-16x50, its god scope for hunting. Butbif you Want the 6-24 try and takle a look on Kahles K624i

I have three Viper PSTs. One is a 6-24 ebr-2c mrad one is a 1-4 and the other is a 2.5-10 ebr MOA. I also have a 4-14 Mark 4 leupold.
For the distance that your talking about, I would go for the 4-16 but opt for a PST as I feel they are much better scopes... unless your state doesn't allow illumination. 6-24 is for dedicated LR rigs for me, and 10x is good to 1000 yards for me, but just barely. I find 4 is okay on the low end, but still more than I want.

That being said I would only put a 4-16 on something if you KNOW that your will have a lot of long shots, otherwise you may be shooting yourself in the foot.
I say this all the time to new LR shooters that want to "dabble" in long range... YOU DONT ALWAYS NEED ALOT OF MAGNIFACATION. 10x on the high end will get you there, a lot cheaper and you will have a more practical hunting rifle. 4-16 can be better, just be realistic about the length of your shots.

Although I love long range hunting and shooting, I have never taken an animal over 700 yards. I have the equipment and the skill set, as I am pretty proficient to around 1300 yards, but I can rarely find a safe shot on game that is that far. heck, I have only ever had one opportunity at 900 yards and didn't have a rangefinder!

I have to agree with the recommendations above except for a couple issues. If you hunt in open terrain or getting close to retirement age. As a member of the over the hill gang I find I really appreciate the higher magnification. Even when sighting in at 100 I shoot better groups. The better I can see the target the more accurate I am. "Aim small miss small."

Since you plan on shooting at longer ranges I would go with a 20 power at the minimum. Really nice to see what you are aiming at, especially targets. :)

Just keep in mind that as the ocular magnification increases, the FOV decreases as well as the eye relief. Nice to 'crank 'em up. Not so nice to get scope eye.....:)

Thanks for all the info and help guys. It's nice to hear alot of opinions as well as ideas from people that "have been there done that" it will definatly help to make my decision.

How about Sightron SIII 10-50x60 scope? I've shot a buck at 166 meters with 10x. It is very good lens and nice eye relief.

Here is an example at 1000 yards. I believe the magnification was about 40x.

Attachments

• Sightron-reticle.jpg
    Sightron-reticle.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 210
I've got the long range bug for more than a year now. I'm comfortable with my steel plate at 600 yards, I'm dry-firing & working with my scope out to 2100 yards. I've enjoyed using my new Schmidt & Bender 5 – 25 x 56. It's nice to have the extra magnification, but most of the times I'm down in the 8 to 12 power. Either of your scope choices there's pluses & minuses, but that's what makes this hobby so exciting.

I use a Schmidt Bender 4-16x50 for shooting out to 1400 yards. My primary target with this rifle is marmots. I've shot as far as a mile with it, but at that range more power would be helpful.
I also use a NF 2.5-10x32 on a sporter weight hunting rifle. I've shot at marmots as far as 1100 yards with it, and killed too many to remember to distances as far as 800 yds.
In contrast I have an older IOR 6-24x50. While the turret adjustments have been flawless, the glass quality is not on a par with either the NF or SB, making the higher magnification necessary. This scope is used on my prairie dog rifle. If there is much mirage, I end up shooting more around 12-16 power anyway.
My $.02

Love that 10-50 for shooting at 1000. With a 9 or 10 power scope your shooting at the white target. I want to see and shoot between the eyes of the the bad guy on the white target.

I have no doubt you are correct about 10 power at a 1K target. In retrospect, the 25 power S&B would have been the better choice for what I am doing, as would that 10-50. I want to try a Bullseye doubler on my 4-16.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.