Long range practice session

shoots_5

Also posted this in my intro thread in the new members forum but thought I'd share it here as well.

Well, here's a couple of video's from the weekend. I was working up a new load for my 300 H&H Mag with 168gr Berger VLD's and found a decent one using IMR 4350 that gave me a surprising velocity of 3255 with a SD of 16. That was about a 100 fps faster than I was hoping for so I was a happy camper. Had a few loaded up that I decided to shoot at longer range although I didn't have a data card on them so I was guesstimating. Never did hit the target at 756 with them....the wind was really screwing with me. Kept changing direction slightly and velocity from shot to shot. I'd hit right add windage and the wind would shift to full value and I'd hit in the same **** spot.....add windage and the wind would change and I'd hit left....minus windage, wind change hit right. Frustrating but good knowledge and good to know my current limits. Ended up switching to a known load using 185 grain Berger's and shot at the 12" target at 804 and got some hits. Just beginning with longer range shooting but having a hell of a good time with it! Oh, and I went out and bought a Kestral the next day....hopefully that will help me learn to judge the wind a bit more accurately...along with providing more accurate atmospheric conditions.

couple of shots at 804 yards
YouTube - Title(1/2)

again at 804
YouTube - Title(2/2)

longer video showing me struggling at 756 and then shooting at 804
YouTube - long range shooting.wmv

Thanks for posting.

A great way to show things.

What are the details on the rifle?

Sad to say I see a little bit of me in you...... I'd suggest slowing down a bit or your barrel may lean towards being a 338 H&H:D

Nice place to shoot also. A couple of wind flags may help.

I'm interested in the 300 H&H as my neighbor is setting one up for 1k shooting.

Keep us posted

Roy

Great video. I agree with Roy... you'll be ordering a new barrel if you dont slow down. Practicing in the wind is a good thing. That's what it's all about. I would suggest trying a higher BC bullet like the 210 Berger.

What are the specs of your outfit... rifle and scope?

-Mark

Thanks.....I was actually shooting much slower....just edited out the dead time so it was a shorter video.

Specs on the rifle....it's my elk hunting rifle that I've been working on building up. It's a Remington 721 chambered in 300 H&H, 26" factory barrel 1:10 twist. Original stock but glass bedded, I have a Bell & Carlson stock on order for it though....Vias muzzle brake and topped with a Leupold VX3 4.5-14x40 LR scope with M1 turrets and the TMR reticle in Leupold dual dovetail rings and bases. Basically my goal with this rifle is to be comfortable enough, given the right conditions, that an elk within 800 yards is going to end up in my freezer. I found a really accurate load using the Berger 185 grain VLD going 2850fps. Just finished up the load using the Berger 168 grain and it's traveling 3255 which ends up much flatter trajectory wise than the 185. Just don't have the data worked up on that load yet like I do the 185.... Also picked up some 168 grain A-Max's that I'm going to play with as well.

Working on some plans to rebarrel a Mauser 98 action I have into a 6.5x45L for a little more economical LR gun to shoot. Gets a little pricey reloading and shooting the 300 as much as I would like to. For that build I'm looking at going with a Brux barrel in 8.5 twist finished at 26".

All in all it was a really nice afternoon to be out burning some powder. And I feel like I learned a few things getting out shooting in some variable winds so it was a valuable experience. Just wish my buddy that usually shoots with me could have been there to help as a spotter.

shoots_5,

When you get the stock switching done and possibly desire to rid yourself of the 721 stock lemme know. I have an affinity for those things.

I'd recommend getting a bipod for your prone shooting. You may be surprised.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.