Long range practice session.

RockyMtnMT

Official LRH Sponsor
Went out on Sunday with a couple of buddies to do some long range shooting with several rifles that we have not shot long. Two of the rifles we shot the new E-Tip out of. We set up steel targets and shot from 450yrds to 1030yrds. The session was very successful for all of us. Most of the rifles shot were bone stock, all ammo was hand loaded.

Rifle bullet combo's shot: 30-338lap imp w/ 180 E-Tip, 30-06 W/ 150 GS Custom HV, 6.5-06 W/ 130 Scirocco, 270 wsm w/ 130 E-Tip, 30-TC w/ factory ammo 150grn Hornady, 7mm RUM W/ 160 Accu Bond.

The 6.5-06 is a rifle that I had re-barreled this summer for my son for his 1st rifle. It is carrying a 24" McGowen Barrel. It is shooting the 130grn Scirocco @ 2950fps. It has an old vxII that is not suited for dialing so I shot it just using hold over out to 600yrds. Considering the hold over thing it shot very well. Once I found an aim point it held sub moa @ 600yrds. Until it gets a better scope, and stock we won't be able to really see what it can do.

The 30-06 is a Browning White Gold Medallion that belongs to my uncle. I have been developing a load for him to go moose hunting w/ this next week. He will be shooting the GS Custom HV 150 grn @ 3200fps. I shot about 3/4 moa out to 745yrds. Stopped there as the energy level beyond this range is too low for big game hunting.

The 30-338lap imp is a rifle that I have been working on for a year or so. It has a 30" Lilja, built on a Sako 995 action, with the original stock. It is shooting the 180grn E-Tip @ 3490fps. This rifle did very well. I was able to make cold bore 1st shots @ every range that we shot at that would have been a kill on a whitetail deer. It seemed that the farther out we shot the better this rifle shot. This rifle barley can hold moa @ 100yrds. It held 1/2 moa and better out to 1030yrds.

The Browning 270 ran out of scope adj @ 745yrds, but held moa or better out to that range, and also made cold bore 1st shot kills at every range shot.

The Thompson Center 30-TC is the most impressive factory rifle I have ever seen. We can't figure out what Hornady is using for powder because we can not duplicate the velocity of the factory rounds. The factory rounds are shooting the 150SST @ 3000fps. This rifle held 1/2 moa out to 1030yrds.

The 7mm RUM is a Sako. It is shooting the 160grn AB @ 3430fps. We did not have a drop chart made for this rifle but after we got the moa drop @ 600 figure out then we were able to get it on the gong 1st shot @ every yardage after that. This rifle also shot sub moa out to 1030yrds.

One thing that was interesting was that the 7 ultra shot clean through the steal @ 600 yrds, wear the 30-338 stuck the E-tips in the target. Muzzle velocities are nearly the same, what would be the diff? The only thing that I can figure is the lead core acts differently on the steal. The E-Tip held about 80% weight on the steal.

All in all it was a very good morning out shooting far. What great fun.

Steve

that story should be made into a beer commercial. couple of buddies, shooting long range, it doesn't get any better than that!

That is a great analogy, I like that. If it hadn't started getting warm out and ammo running thin, I don't think we would have stopped. It seems that the farther you shoot the more addictive it gets.

Steve

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.