Loads that work well in many rifles..

I had good luck with fed gold match king 168s so that's what I been working up a load with. Not opposed to 175s just didnt have as good of groups with factory loads when I tried them.

The 6.5 Grendel is unique in that it was developed as a combat cartridge to replace the 5.56mm NATO cartridge in the M-16 platform and deliver improved performance at 200 to 300 yards. The cartridge case is based on the 7.62x39 Russian case with a blown out body to accommodate more powder. (This requires a different bolt head in a 5.56mm ( .223 Rem) AR/ M-16 rifle.) The cartridge can use the same 30 round magazines as an AR/ M-16, but due to the fatter case body, capacity is reduced to 26 rounds. This cartridge, in the civilian market, is good for target shooting, varmint hunting and within it's bullet's performance envelope, deer/ pig hunting in my opinion.

The best bullets for the 6.5 Grendel range from 90 grains thru 130 grains. A barrel twist of 1:8 to 1:9 is best for these bullet weights from the Grendel. The light weight varmint bullets in the 90 grain class can reach up to 2,900 fps from a 24 inch barrel. That will be around 2,700 fps from a 16 inch carbine barreled AR-15 style rifle. The 'deer class' hunting bullets of 128 ~ 130 grains will reach 2,500 fps from a 24" barrel and drop to around 2,300 fps from a 16" carbine barrel. When looking at the energy generated by the cartridge in a 24" barrel, it generates slightly more from a 24" barrel than the standard 30-30 test bullet. When the power is tested on the Grendel with a 16" barrel, it's power is just under the 30-30 out to 200 yards. Since the Grendel uses spitzer or pointed bullets, it has less drag than the 30-30 and is slightly more powerful that the 30-30 from 200 out to 300 yards, it's maximum useful hunting range. Most hunting experts place this cartridge in the same class as the 30-30, 7.62x39 to .243 Win class of cartridges.

I have tried the varget in the 308 with that class of bullet in my tikka t3 light. My load was Nosler max of 46 gr varget 165 ballistic tip rem cases cci primer. It shot 5 shots into half inch but I had flattened primers. I worked this load up for an elk hunt but ended up winning a 300 win. I backed down and now shoot 44 gr. This is just my experience the 165 ballistic tip is pretty long and in tikkas short action it's to mag length. I'm sure I'd be ok if I convert it to a long action and load It longer but it shoots good without the added expenses

I have tried the varget in the 308 with that class of bullet in my tikka t3 light. My load was Nosler max of 46 gr varget 165 ballistic tip rem cases cci primer. It shot 5 shots into half inch but I had flattened primers. I worked this load up for an elk hunt but ended up winning a 300 win. I backed down and now shoot 44 gr. This is just my experience the 165 ballistic tip is pretty long and in tikkas short action it's to mag length. I'm sure I'd be ok if I convert it to a long action and load It longer but it shoots good without the added expenses
Yep, that's another highly used load 44.0 to 44.5 Varget and 168gr bullets in 308 win.

Fortunately, the four cartridges/loads if have used in volume and in multiple rifles over the years have produced excellent results with the same recipes. Powder charge will usually be within 1 grain, confirmed with a 5 or 10 shot ladder. Seating depth may require adjustment. All deliver <.5MOA, SD<5. While these loads aren't at max pressures, they should be worked if tried.

-223 Remington, 25gr Varget, CCIBR4, Lapua Brass, 69gr SMK
-308 Win., 43gr Varget, Fed210M, Lapua Brass, 168/175 SMK
-6.5x47L, 41gr H4350, CCIBR4, Lapua Brass, Berger 130, 142 SMK
-6.5x284N, 57gr Retumbo, Fed210M, Lapua Brass, 140BergerHVLD, JLK/142VLD

Yep, that's another highly used load 44.0 to 44.5 Varget and 168gr bullets in 308 win.

I'll have to give Varget a try. Currently, my Savage FCP-SR shoots the Sierra 168 grain match and the 165 grain Gameking absolutely lights out over 42.0 grains of IMR 4895. It's a bit dirty but I guess there's no free lunch!

I purchased a Ruger m77 270 win a few years ago with a few boxes of handloads that the owner said produced 1 hole groups. Needless to say he was correct since then I've tried them in 4 other 270 Winchester's and all have shot sub Moa. I know many have great loads already but I thought I would share his load that has produced excellent groups for me in multiple rifles. 45.1 gr Imr 4064, rem cases, fed 210, 3.290" Sierra 130 sbt, velocity is 2830 ft/sec 24" barrel. Not a screamer by all means. Good luck to everyone and happy shooting....if anyone has any loads they wouldn't mind sharing for any caliber I'd love to hear other great results folks have had with loads that work in a number of rifles
55.5 grains IMR 4350, CCI Primer, 130 gr Sierra BT. 3 shot groups you can cover with a dime

I have noticed there seems to be velocities that certain bullets like to shoot at. For instance a 168 .284 Berger has shot in multiple rifles very well at 2920-2950.

Hi Guys Since we are talking about good loads can anybody help me out with a good loads in a 6 xc ? Just got to 180 rounds down the pipe . Custom ,Bartlin 26" heavy barrel 1-8 twist,?built on Sako action, beded and pillars . So far none of the Tub info has given me the results that I built this for rifle for . I 'm using 107 smk and RDF Nosler and now going to try 105 Berger's. H-4350 just won't bring anything together. Reloader #17 at 40.5 grains is showing some hope ,Jam.002 . Any help could save me some barrel life . I am a Benchrest shooter so I m not new a the reloading bench . Open to any advice. Thanks

I purchased a Ruger m77 270 win a few years ago with a few boxes of handloads that the owner said produced 1 hole groups. Needless to say he was correct since then I've tried them in 4 other 270 Winchester's and all have shot sub Moa. I know many have great loads already but I thought I would share his load that has produced excellent groups for me in multiple rifles. 45.1 gr Imr 4064, rem cases, fed 210, 3.290" Sierra 130 sbt, velocity is 2830 ft/sec 24" barrel. Not a screamer by all means. Good luck to everyone and happy shooting....if anyone has any loads they wouldn't mind sharing for any caliber I'd love to hear other great results folks have had with loads that work in a number of rifles

I've been a member for quite some time now, but have been listening intently rather than responding. After reading this series of posts I'm finding a lot of useful information but am struck by the lack of reference to calibers such as the 260 and the 7:08. I am glad to see so many references to the great 25:06.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts