Loads for New 270 wsm 1 in 8 twist 26" Barrel

Fedwell

I have a NEW 26" 1/8 twist Barrel coming and will have only a short time before my Elk Hunt so i am in a Hurry to develop loads for it.
I want to Use Hammer Bullets, and have 116AH, 117HH, 124HH and some 133HH also have a Pretty good assortment of Powders. what i need is suggestions for starting Loads , Powder and Grains.

thanks, in advance. Fed-Well :)

Hopeing to get comments from Dougdewey, Bean or anyone else with experence in load work up with HAMMERS.

BTW i DO NOT have RL26 or 25 or H4350

Look over both hogdon and nosler load data for starting points.

If you are short on time go with the 124hh or 133hh grab something in the h4831 or rl23 burn range from the nosler/hogdon reloading manuals and go.

I have a NEW 26" 1/8 twist Barrel coming and will have only a short time before my Elk Hunt so i am in a Hurry to develop loads for it.
I want to Use Hammer Bullets, and have 116AH, 117HH, 124HH and some 133HH also have a Pretty good assortment of Powders. what i need is suggestions for starting Loads , Powder and Grains.

thanks, in advance. Fed-Well :)
I run the 126HH in my 270 WSM with RL23 at about 3380fps. Nosler brass and 215M primers. I don't recall the charge weight off the top of my head but I'll check when I get home. If you have RL23 I'd start there. Seems to be what Steve recommends for the 270 WSM.

I run the 126HH in my 270 WSM with RL23 at about 3380fps. Nosler brass and 215M primers. I don't recall the charge weight off the top of my head but I'll check when I get home. If you have RL23 I'd start there. Seems to be what Steve recommends for the 270 WSM.
I just happen to have 8lb Jug of rl23 will start with that . Thank you.

I used h4350 with fed 210's for 3430-40 for the 116's. 3 large mule deer with different shot placement within 200 yards dropped instantly for my buddy. One bad shot placement from his boy was minimal meat damage. I'd have to look at powder charge. It was my buddies rifle and he did say he wouldn't hesitate to use this combination for elk

I used h4350 with fed 210's for 3430-40 for the 116's. 3 large mule deer with different shot placement within 200 yards dropped instantly for my buddy. One bad shot placement from his boy was minimal meat damage. I'd have to look at powder charge. It was my buddies rifle and he did say he wouldn't hesitate to use this combination for elk
Thank you for the reply, H4350 is one Powder i have NOT been able to obtain, However I do have a couple pounds of IMR4350, may try a workup with that.

Fed-Well :)

Thank you sir, i will. Hope the same load will be ok in the 124HH?

Fed-Well :)
Definitely work up to that load. I was within 1 grain of my max with that. I'm running a 24" barrel so you should see a bit more velocity than I did. I have heard the 117HH is pretty wicked out of the 270WSM. It would be worth trying both if you have the materials.

I went with the h4350 mainly for stability, it just happened to deliver good speeds. I've had excellent success with a short.01 ladder up or down from desired charge to get groups dialed in. I recommend 200 if conditions allow as the super tight 100 groups have opened up at distance. I've also used the limb saver harmonic dampener for quick tune. Would be really cool to hear your results if you get an elk, really impressed with the hammers

If you have the magazine capacity and throat, the 156HH is a load! I got 3284 out of .270Win and the extra BC and weight is nice to have for elk.

You also might get surprised by W760 with the 124's. See the Hammer load data for more loads.

FYI - I shot tune up today for Sat opener in Indiana with the .270 Win 156 HH and it was a dream to shoot and see a 1.5" group at 300 yards. Dialed up pretty good such that the group was 12 o'clock over bull just touching the top of bull so drop at short range was fine. This was 3200 fps so it will leave a mark.