Loaded up my first hammers this evening

In case ButterBean is otherwise occupied, I ran the QL wizard for you just so you're not stepping off the lunar module blind. The results (attached) predicts max pressure at 62.9 grains for H380 and 67.8 grains for H4350. This data was derived using a weighting factor of .33 (recommended for overbore bottleneck cartridges) and a shot start (initiation) pressure of 6525 psi (recommended for solid copper bullets). I've sent a bunch of hammers down range, including the 75 HH in my 250AI, by adjusting these two settings along with my actual cartridge length and H20 capacity and have found I can generally exceed the QL predicted max by as much as a grain (slightly more in larger capacity cartridges) before seeing pressure signs beyond slightly flattened primers. That said, I have no personal experience with the 257 bee or H380 in cartridges larger than 22-250.

Good luck out there and be safe.

"And I think it's gonna be a long, long time
'Till touch down brings me 'round again to find
I'm not the man they think I am at home
Oh no, no, no
I'm a rocket man
Rocket man burning out his fuse up here alone"

- Rocket Man by Elton John

Attachments

• 257 Bee 75 HH H380.txt
    2.4 KB · Views: 59
  • 257 Bee 75 HH H4350.txt
    2.5 KB · Views: 32
Well I do understand that but it apparently isn't totally uncharted…others have gone before me haha.

Reminds me of the first Indiana Jones movie when they're looking into a snake pit they need to get through…his Egyptian friend looks in there and says

"Asps….very dangerous….YOU GO FIRST!!!" 🤣
Don't flinch! 😅
watching-through-fingers-sam-gorski.gif

@ButterBean you think I'm in a safe starting place for the H380?

No load data for anything that fast in 257 bee anywhere I could find. I've based my
H4350 load range off abundantly available data. Should be ballpark and for sure safe.

I will say the h380 has a way better case fill than I expected. No worries about detonation or anything. Still ball powder but not near as dense as SUPERFORMANCE, which is crazy dense and as a flattened ball powder packs in even tighter and just doesn't seem to play by any conventional rules at all….kinda like hammers 🤣🤣🤣🤣

And after just doing some comparison and research again regarding fill I'm with @Hand Skills … don't care what hammers have going for them, no way in HECK I'd try cfe223 in this case for any reason under any circumstances
Yes Sir, Let Her Eat