Load Development Ruger Precision Rifle .243

It must be my year. The RPR took this cougar down with one shot at 200 yards. We hiked up a mountain and setup in a deer wintering area. Within 30 minutes of calling this lion came sneaking into the caller. I was setup above for a possible shot. It wasn't a perfect shot, little back but I was a little excited :)
What a way to end the year, that is a trophy of a lifetime.

Congrats.

It must be my year. The RPR took this cougar down with one shot at 200 yards. We hiked up a mountain and setup in a deer wintering area. Within 30 minutes of calling this lion came sneaking into the caller. I was setup above for a possible shot. It wasn't a perfect shot, little back but I was a little excited :)

Very nice!!

You hear a lot these days about Extreme Powders or temperature sensitive powder. I think its hard for the average shooter to get the fancy equipment, time, energy or money to really try and figure out everything there is with long range shooting.

Today Russ and I completed a test that anyone with a decent chronograph can accomplish. We used a Magneto

The conditions outside were 33 degrees for all the testing. The ammo was frozen in our kitchen freezers which is usually around 0 degrees. Room temperature for me is around 67 degrees, saving a little money :)

We are both shooting the Savage 7mm rem mag in the LRH with IMR4350 and the 168 Berger Classics. I shoot Federal Match 215 and Russ shoots the regular 215.

We shot these combinations.
Room temperature gun with frozen ammo
Room temperature ammo with a frozen gun
Frozen ammo with a frozen gun

Russ' gun sat outside for about 4 hours

Frozen gun/Frozen ammo: 3 round average FPS 2916
Frozen gun/Room ammo: 6 round average FPS 2964

Joes Gun
Room Gun/Frozen ammo: 3 round average FPS 2822
Which is close to my average velocity I use for my ballistic
program of 2818 FPs

My gun froze outside for 6 hours
Frozen gun/room ammo: 3 round average FPS 2810 FPS
Frozen gun/frozen ammo: 3 round average FPS 2793 FPS

The results on my gun compared to my zero data 64 degrees 64 ammo degrees was an average of 2818. The gun at 33 degrees with 0 degree ammo was on average only 25 FPS slower, I think that is pretty acceptable. When I shot my elk last year, I adjusted my FPS 20 slower, It was around 20 degrees and my gun was frozen in the tent with me.

I think its pretty interesting that Russ had a much more extreme spread. I wonder if the match vs regular primer could do it? If anyone has any ideas, let us know.

Thanks Joe & Russ

The 7mm is the only gun I shoot IMR with. I will test an Extreme Powder with it soon.

Last edited:
Dear shooters: can anyone provide practical load data and range results for 600 yards and beyond for 243 ruger PR for heavier bullets like 110 and 115 grain.
Much appreciated.
I have data for 107 Sierra MK up to 600 yards if any one is interested.
Mangust1

I will check the stability of those bullets at range for you. Not sure the gun should shoot them

So most of those heavier bullets are going to be too long for the RPR and the twist rate isn't correct for those heavier bullets. You would want a 6.5 to 7 twist
105 Berger vld hunting base to ogive .598
115 Berger vld hunting base to ogive .695

The 115 is almost .100 longer, I already had issues getting close to the lands with the 105 and went with the AICS magazines.

example
The 115 Berger VLD would give you a 1.38 Stability at the Muzzle and a 1.18 stability at 600 yards. You shouldn't send that down range with RPR in standard conditions.

The bullets that will mimic the 105 VLD seem to be what the RPR .243 was built for.

105 vld has a better form factor by quite a bit and is also a more efficient bullet.

I haven't ran the energy numbers 115 vs 105 but I would guess on a 600 yard animal, it wouldn't make much of a difference.

If you want to do some research, I would compare some 115 vs 105 with some wind and energy calculations.

If you want to do a little more research on a little heavier bullet, maybe you could try and look for some shorter bullets with base to ogive similar to the 105 .598 ish.

My advice would be to stick with the 105.

I dont believe you can find a box gun with a twist rate necessary to stabilize the 115vld. I would also suggest a long action would no doubt be helpful in order to accomodate the 115gr loaded long, unless you are ok single feeding the longer bullets into a short action.

This is not to say guys havent/cant load the 115vld to fit their short actions, and shoot them decent, but in the interest of long range shooting we tend to think optimum..... twist rate being of utmost importance when shooting/matching a vld within a particular caliber.

My advice would be to stick with the 105.

This is sound advice, I will add though, the 105 Hunting VLD is quite different than the 105 target VLD. The hunting VLD has a higher BC and is more efficient than both the target VLD and the 105 Hybrid. The 105 HVLD is a fantastic all around bullet that can be driven hard.

Quick tip

I was reloading today and had some dented case mouths. Simply place a larger caliber bullet tip down the mouth and rotate with a little pressure. Don't read into this one too much :)

Attachments

• IMG_4324.jpg
    IMG_4324.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 80
  • IMG_4323.jpg
    IMG_4323.jpg
    135.5 KB · Views: 79
  • IMG_4326.jpg
    IMG_4326.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 78
I got my cat back already. I think it looks pretty good

Attachments

• IMG_4493.jpg
    IMG_4493.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 90
  • IMG_4487.jpg
    IMG_4487.jpg
    201.1 KB · Views: 82
Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.