Load development

One thing I've learned from shooting Kimbers in 270 WSM, 7 Rem, 300 WSM and 338 Win Mag is that if you want a light rifle to shoot you should hang onto it. Forget pretending it's a benchrest
gun and grab that pistol grip and forend like you mean it. They calm right down after that.

I also find that monkeying around with grip pressure on heavy recoiling guns, can give positive results. I'll often hold the forend with my off hand instead of tucking under the rear bag.

One thing I've learned from shooting Kimbers in 270 WSM, 7 Rem, 300 WSM and 338 Win Mag is that if you want a light rifle to shoot you should hang onto it. Forget pretending it's a benchrest
gun and grab that pistol grip and forend like you mean it. They calm right down after that.
Hey! Someone who actually knows how to shoot a real hunting rifle for a change!
:)
Some solid advise right here.

Both my rifles.are about 7 1/4 pounds. When I fire them while hunting I hold them like a b b gun. So when I develope a load they lay on the rest and don't horse them. Ten shots in 3/4" from one and an inch for the other.

We all do what we have to.

Both my rifles.are about 7 1/4 pounds. When I fire them while hunting I hold them like a b b gun. So when I develope a load they lay on the rest and don't horse them. Ten shots in 3/4" from one and an inch for the other.

We all do what we have to.
You can fight the recoil or flow with it, just be consistent in how you handle it and you should have consistent results.

Keeping a consistent mount though is essential to good recoil management no matter how you deal with it.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.