Load Development Ruger Precision Rifle .243

I did a quick not really scientific test today with my .223 62 gr federal standard duty

I used the magnetto sporter and shot two different positions

One position with the gun held at my hip and let it free recoil that produced more erratic and higher extreme spreads and velocity

Avg. 2853 fps ES 87

The other position was prone locked in to my shoulder with some force held to the rear

Avg. 2814 fps. ES 34

I would have to bet that kneeling or standing would produce different results also

Actually that sounds pretty scientific to me. Shows that being able to consistently hold a rifle with the same amount of shoulder pressure produces better ES. Something lots of us are aware of but never really take the time to test. Thanks for testing and posting. The non believers should now be converted. :)

[FONT=&quot]Sent: [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Monday, August 15, 2016 6:32:30 PM[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
Subject: Re: es/sdI [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]did a quick not really scientific test today with my .223 62 gr federal standard duty

I used the magnetto sporter and shot two different positions

One position with the gun held at my hip and let it free recoil that produced more erratic and higher extreme spreads and velocity

Avg. 2853 fps ES 87

The other position was prone locked in to my shoulder with some force held to the rear

Avg. 2814 fps. ES 34

I would have to bet that kneeling or standing would produce different results also[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]

Sent from my iPhone[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]On Aug 15, 2016, at 4:30 PM\[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]So I find myself wondering how es and sd data is collected by those who advertise both commercially and professionally. My guess would be some, if not most of it is collected using modified chambers that are immobile, test chamber/barrel configurations. That would explain some of the super low, seemingly impossible to obtain numbers for the consumer.[/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Your non scientific yet real world test just proved to us that different methods of mounting a fire arm can and will vary es/sd results, and that a stationary chamber/barrel configuration would most likely produce numbers not obtainable from a person setting behind a rifle engaging in live fire.

So...........I say we chase this to an end and post this up as another real world test conducted by shooters, as shooters, with out mechanical aids or other devices that would otherwise enhance numbers for commercial purposes. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]

Think about it........we can bring results to others that are obtainable for them, and not just lofty numbers that cannot be obtained without high tech shooting equipment. That would include containment rests like the lead sled strap in models.......

[/FONT]

Back to my .243 project that I did because I wanted a unique to me gun, as well as wanting to see if we could put together a rifle that shoots like the RPR and stays at the same price point.

No problem staying at the same price for the basic gun. Of course price can go up and down like the tide with personal choices for barrels and stocks. So with that in mind, we stayed pretty close in price all finished off, ready to shoot.

So to start with, I went right along with our data from the RPR and cut the chase, going right for the H4831sc, loading my bullets ( Berger 105 Match Hunting VLD ) at 8k off the lands. A brief test of charge weights to find the velocity node and I was settled in shooting, trying to get more rounds down the bore for a complete break in.

I was mixing my short shooting sessions with my kitchen remodel, so for awhile shooting didnt get as much attention as normal. Then, seemed like there was always more than enough wind to influence my results to the point of me not being satisfied. Had I never shot Joes RPR, I would have been more than satisfied from the get go, but ..........and this is the odd part.........what I wasnt satisfied with was generally a pretty consistent 5 shot 1/2 moa group at 100 yards.

As my round count went up to about 100 and I switched over to a Gempro scale, I saw my groups shrink a bit more. This is when I decided it was time to do my 200 yard zero. So.....final dial in at 200 yards is 5 shot .7 inch sub 1/2 moa group with 4 of those shots being .37 inch sub 1/4 moa. I like it.

SO the other question as to whether or not we can engage a project gun that will shoot on par with the RPR.........I think yes. I wont say better or visa versa, but definitely on par. Two very different guns of the same caliber that shoot nearly identical loads very accurately. Yes, Im satisfied. R

Attachments

• russ target  200 yard.jpg
    russ target 200 yard.jpg
    228.1 KB · Views: 95
  • 243 revised 1.jpg
    243 revised 1.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 102
Plus I feel as though the Benchmark barrel I put on my rifle is an upgrade from the factory barrel, and it was nice to have the hands on with the guages for setting the head space.

Like I say, the RPR and my frankenstein Savage both shoot lights out, as Im sure both of your Savages do.

Plus I feel as though the Benchmark barrel I put on my rifle is an upgrade from the factory barrel, and it was nice to have the hands on with the guages for setting the head space.

Like I say, the RPR and my frankenstein Savage both shoot lights out, as Im sure both of your Savages do.

Oh yeah. I'm on the second barrel with 6.5. The first one shot great until it went off. Fire cracked a third of the way up the bore and I was still shooting it. Replaced with a Shilen. Nothing quite as nice as being able to do your own barrel changes. The RPR is going to get a heavy barrel when the current one is toast. Might go with a 6 Creedmoor when I do. Something to keep to keep the 6.5 company in the safe and stay with 6 mm.

I figure I ought to join in since I am now the owner of a RPR in 243 Win. I have to admit it's not a rifle that interested me much at $1000 plus, but at $850 I decided to give it a try. I found some 105 HVLDs, 105 Hybrids and a couple bags of Win brass at the local Sportsman's.

I achieved .6 MOA 5 shot groups almost immediately with a 105 Berger HVLD, Norma MRP, CCI 250 in Win brass. With a little load tweaking to center the powder charge in the high node along with a primer test and some seating adjustment, I duplicated several five shot groups averaging .5 MOA from a bipod in the prone. I still need to get a velocity measurement with the magneto and do some long range validation, but if this load performs with continued consistency it will work fine.

My load:
105 HVLD .007" off the lands
44.2 grains Norma MRP
CCI250
WW brass, weight sorted with a deburred case mouth and flash hole.

Another load that the RPR stacks into tiny groups is a load I had leftover from a 243 I previously owned. It is a great hog load, and I killed several with it with my previous 243.

95 grain Hornady SST
42.0 grains RL17
CCI 250
WW brass

850$ was great price.

I would own another one. Building the ammo the same way every time is the ticket. Hopefully your load has some great extreme spreads also. I was hoping to get some Sitka deer with the RPR but we were fogged in most of our trip

850$ was great price.

I would own another one. Building the ammo the same way every time is the ticket. Hopefully your load has some great extreme spreads also. I was hoping to get some Sitka deer with the RPR but we were fogged in most of our trip

Now that I have the node nailed down, I'll throw 15 across the magneto tomorrow to and see what I get. I'll call it a success if the ES is 25 or better. I'd like a larger sample, but I'm planning to take it wolf hunting this weekend and time (daylight) is short here in the North country.

So I developed another factory gun to shoot long range, it's a Savage Long Range Hunter in 7mm Rem Mag. I shoot Imr 4350/ Berger 168 Classic Hunter.
I shot the elk at 904 and 922
The Whitetail at 527
The Coues at 500

Attachments

• IMG_3577.jpg
    IMG_3577.jpg
    318.9 KB · Views: 85
  • IMG_3777.JPG
    IMG_3777.JPG
    108.6 KB · Views: 78
  • IMG_3978.jpg
    IMG_3978.jpg
    210.8 KB · Views: 87
So I developed another factory gun to shoot long range, it's a Savage Long Range Hunter in 7mm Rem Mag. I shoot Imr 4350/ Berger 168 Classic Hunter.
I shot the elk at 904 and 922
The Whitetail at 527
The Coues at 500

That Coues is a gagger! Nice stuff.

It must be my year. The RPR took this cougar down with one shot at 200 yards. We hiked up a mountain and setup in a deer wintering area. Within 30 minutes of calling this lion came sneaking into the caller. I was setup above for a possible shot. It wasn't a perfect shot, little back but I was a little excited :)

Attachments

• IMG_4084.jpg
    IMG_4084.jpg
    248.2 KB · Views: 77
  • IMG_4088.jpg
    IMG_4088.jpg
    211.2 KB · Views: 81
Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.