Ruger precision rifles

Vbark01

Im realley intrigued, now frustrated,they 308 ,20 inch barrel,,6.5 -24"',243-26
One web site says the 13.5 is more accrurette than the 26 at long ranges on 308
So would one be more accrurette than another i thought heavey bullets better

For the most part talk is cheap !! NO one can determine the accuracy of any rifle before putting it on the bench. The new rifle for the money has certainly turned lots of heads, their availability is testimony to that...dollar for dollar they seem like a steal for around a $1000.00.. They are very difficult to find, they may not shoot as good off the bench as a $5000.00 custom version but they seem to be good enough to ring steel out to a 1000 yards with no problem. I'm surprised Big Green/WW/Savage have not come out already with their version of it. Overall most are picking the 6.5 cm, hopefully they'll offer some other choices but they can't handle demand as it is..I don't think you could go wrong picking one up !

For the most part talk is cheap !! NO one can determine the accuracy of any rifle before putting it on the bench. The new rifle for the money has certainly turned lots of heads, their availability is testimony to that...dollar for dollar they seem like a steal for around a $1000.00.. They are very difficult to find, they may not shoot as good off the bench as a $5000.00 custom version but they seem to be good enough to ring steel out to a 1000 yards with no problem. I'm surprised Big Green/WW/Savage have not come out already with their version of it. Overall most are picking the 6.5 cm, hopefully they'll offer some other choices but they can't handle demand as it is..I don't think you could go wrong picking one up !

I agree with this post 100 percent. I believe it is a good deal at $1000.00 tops.... If anymore then that put something together which could and should be better on a Savage action. gun) The 6.5 CM is a very accurate round and excellent ammo for long range shooting can be purchased easily. I am not a biv fan of Ruger rifles, but this one did turn my head. :D

Agreed. Over the holiday these things were selling for $1700-1800. That kind of took away from its "value". But as demand decreases and competition arises I'd expect the price to return. It will be interesting to see what other companies come up with to rival the RPR.

Seems that Ruger has also turned the corner as even their American line up is very solid for the money. There are a few small issues being reported but for the most part this is one hell of a rifle for the money and easy to modify if you have the desire to. I too would sell my AR-15 DPMS in a second for the Ruger Precision 6.5. I am pretty sure a Burris XTR II SCR would fit it very nicely too. I know over at the hide they have several posts/videos on this rifle and how to modify it if you want to. I too would prefer the Savage Bolt but there seems to be nothing wrong with this Ruger offering.

I picked up a RPR in 6.5 about a month ago. I used FN rings and a NF Benchrest scope.

After cleaning the barrel, I took it to the range using Hornady 129g ammo. It took me 7 shots to get it zeroed at 100 yards. Shots 8-10 were touching. I love it! I'm going to have a LOT of fun with it.

I got mine for $950 + tax, so deals can be had if you look.

You don't need a 30" barrel to have an accurate rifle. Check the spec's on the .30 cal sniper rifles used by Marines and Special ops for most of the last forty plus years.

I'm not buying that there's something magical about the barrel shorter than 20" however making them "more accurate".

When it comes to precision rifles each one is it's own cat and the same combination of pieces and parts will not always have the same outcome so yes, while it's possible having all else equal once in a while you will find a shorter version being more accurate than the longer version but it's not going to happen consistently or predictably.

People always want what they can't have... Or at least anything that seems like it's hard to get.

I'll admit that for some reason there is an allure about these rifles.

But if you really take emotions out of the equation, there is really nothing that special about them and they don't sound like that great of a deal money wise.

If you want a rifle that takes AR accessories and magazines... Hmmm, buy an AR maybe? Plenty of AR10 style rifles that are almost the same price and I bet just as accurate.

All of that said, I am an emotional creature and I still would like to come across a good deal on one in 6.5 CM. :D

I happened to trade for one chambered in 243. overall, i like it, however, the handguard is only held on by 2 small 8mm bolts, and it is grossly off centered on the barrel. Other then that, it shoots stupid good with 105 hornady match w/retumbo. I can see the allure to them, they are fun as heck to shoot.

I think their biggest drawback is limited COL for ammo. They are ar10 type, I believe. These are limited to SAAMI spec ammo which is at or less than 2.820. If you shoot VLD bullets in a 308/243/6.5 Creed, you will never be able to get close to the lands. So you are somewhat limited when tailoring ammo to the rifle for true long range.

I shoot a 6.5 Creedmoor LRP in a Mcree Precision Chassis with a teflon coated ALPHA 308 5 shot mag. I can seat bullets out to 2.930!

Here's what it looks like. Not near as tacticool as the RPR, but it also uses a Savage target action with a trigger that is adjustable to about 4 ounces. Oh and comes with a 26 inch button rifled barrel.

So, if you can get beyond having to have the latest tacticool rifle at the range, I think there are better options out there for you.

Pic and 100 yard target for load workup....

Attachments

• 6.5 creedmoor.jpg
    6.5 creedmoor.jpg
    356 KB · Views: 98
  • IMG_20131210_175337.jpg
    IMG_20131210_175337.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 78
I think a lot of folks are missing the point of this rifle. What is different about this rifle? I posted this on another site where we were discussing it:

Unlike a conventional bolt rifle, there is no action-stock interface as their is no stock wherein the action needs to be bolted in, hence no need to bed the action like you need to on a conventional bolt action in order to get that sub-MOA accuracy. This due to the direction of forces when an action is bolted in. The bolts run perpendicular to the direction of force and have very little control over the force as it is transfered to the stock, bedding or a high end stock replacement is required to insure no movement of the action and there always is movement in conventional factory rifle.

The calibers it's offered in are both traditional (308, 243) and newer (6.5 Creedmoor) long range capable calibers. 1000 yards being long range. But it's not just the calibers, it's the twist rate on the barrels. They are a tight twist which is needed to stabilize the heavier high BC bullets used in long distance shooting. Also the 5R rifling is much gentler on bullets and cuts down on jacket separation when loading to the limit for higher velocities as is done in long range shooting. It sounds like the throat is also cut deeper to support those heavier high BC bullets.

The rifle comes stock with a 20 MOA rail. The only other manufacturer who does that is Savage and it'll cost you over $100 just for that on other rifles. That means that with the typical 30mm scope tube you've got enough travel to dial in the range of 1000-1500 yards.

The trigger can also be set much lower than a conventional rifle which is needed in precision shooting. Again, Savage is the only other maker that does this and the trigger looks to be a Savage Accutrigger design which is essentially a two stage trigger that can be set very low without the worry of a bump fire.

Adjustability. That butt can be adjusted to shoot prone, bench or standing. The cheek piece can be adjust to support a variety of scope heights and mount designs. That piece alone will cost you ~350 if you want to add it to a platform that supports it.

Another cool thing is that the barrels can be changed in your garage. All you need is a barrel wrench and a set of go-nogo gauges. If you shoot a lot of long range with hot loads in a caliber like 6mm (243) you can go through a barrel in as little as 2500 rounds so easy barrel changes become a necessity.

Then you talk about the price, if you go with a quality mid-range scope like a Vortex PST, Signtron Siii or a Burris XTR II, you can be into the rifle for ~2500 if you pay full retail. That puts you at a price point $1500-$3500 less than than the bulk of the offerings out there for the tube gun alone. And that is essentially what this is, a tactical oriented tube gun (or space gun as some call them). Tube guns have become very popular in long range PALMA shooting (1000 yards with only a sling and open sights). Take a look at the Tubbs offerings as a comparison. A Tubb's rifle is essentially the same thing but that'll cost you in the 5k range just for the rifle.

The bottom line being, the team that designed this knew what they were doing. They targeted a growing market segment with a product that checks all the boxes. And from the sounds of early reports, they were successful. They're getting 1/2 MOA accuracy out of the box with factory ammo. The only other mass producer who puts out that kind of gun is Savage. A little load development and tuning then you're talking about a 1/4 MOA rifle which is needed in the long range precision game.

I think a lot of folks are missing the point of this rifle. What is different about this rifle? I posted this on another site where we were discussing it:

Unlike a conventional bolt rifle, there is no action-stock interface as their is no stock wherein the action needs to be bolted in, hence no need to bed the action like you need to on a conventional bolt action in order to get that sub-MOA accuracy. This due to the direction of forces when an action is bolted in. The bolts run perpendicular to the direction of force and have very little control over the force as it is transfered to the stock, bedding or a high end stock replacement is required to insure no movement of the action and there always is movement in conventional factory rifle.

The calibers it's offered in are both traditional (308, 243) and newer (6.5 Creedmoor) long range capable calibers. 1000 yards being long range. But it's not just the calibers, it's the twist rate on the barrels. They are a tight twist which is needed to stabilize the heavier high BC bullets used in long distance shooting. Also the 5R rifling is much gentler on bullets and cuts down on jacket separation when loading to the limit for higher velocities as is done in long range shooting. It sounds like the throat is also cut deeper to support those heavier high BC bullets.

The rifle comes stock with a 20 MOA rail. The only other manufacturer who does that is Savage and it'll cost you over $100 just for that on other rifles. That means that with the typical 30mm scope tube you've got enough travel to dial in the range of 1000-1500 yards.

The trigger can also be set much lower than a conventional rifle which is needed in precision shooting. Again, Savage is the only other maker that does this and the trigger looks to be a Savage Accutrigger design which is essentially a two stage trigger that can be set very low without the worry of a bump fire.

Adjustability. That butt can be adjusted to shoot prone, bench or standing. The cheek piece can be adjust to support a variety of scope heights and mount designs. That piece alone will cost you ~350 if you want to add it to a platform that supports it.

Another cool thing is that the barrels can be changed in your garage. All you need is a barrel wrench and a set of go-nogo gauges. If you shoot a lot of long range with hot loads in a caliber like 6mm (243) you can go through a barrel in as little as 2500 rounds so easy barrel changes become a necessity.

Then you talk about the price, if you go with a quality mid-range scope like a Vortex PST, Signtron Siii or a Burris XTR II, you can be into the rifle for ~2500 if you pay full retail. That puts you at a price point $1500-$3500 less than than the bulk of the offerings out there for the tube gun alone. And that is essentially what this is, a tactical oriented tube gun (or space gun as some call them). Tube guns have become very popular in long range PALMA shooting (1000 yards with only a sling and open sights). Take a look at the Tubbs offerings as a comparison. A Tubb's rifle is essentially the same thing but that'll cost you in the 5k range just for the rifle.

The bottom line being, the team that designed this knew what they were doing. They targeted a growing market segment with a product that checks all the boxes. And from the sounds of early reports, they were successful. They're getting 1/2 MOA accuracy out of the box with factory ammo. The only other mass producer who puts out that kind of gun is Savage. A little load development and tuning then you're talking about a 1/4 MOA rifle which is needed in the long range precision game.

I agree with pretty much all of this. The fact is they still are not worth more then $1000.00. JMO

I think their biggest drawback is limited COL for ammo. They are ar10 type, I believe. These are limited to SAAMI spec ammo which is at or less than 2.820. If you shoot VLD bullets in a 308/243/6.5 Creed, you will never be able to get close to the lands. So you are somewhat limited when tailoring ammo to the rifle for true long range.

I shoot a 6.5 Creedmoor LRP in a Mcree Precision Chassis with a teflon coated ALPHA 308 5 shot mag. I can seat bullets out to 2.930!

Here's what it looks like. Not near as tacticool as the RPR, but it also uses a Savage target action with a trigger that is adjustable to about 4 ounces. Oh and comes with a 26 inch button rifled barrel.

So, if you can get beyond having to have the latest tacticool rifle at the range, I think there are better options out there for you.

Pic and 100 yard target for load workup....

I'd take yours over a RPR anyday. That's a sweet firearm!

Quick question though; I thought the Savage Target Actions could not be magazine fed? Or maybe I just made an assumption along the way and have just been believing the wrong thing for all this time. I have seen some great deals on new Savage target actions but never picked one up because I really thought they were all single shots.

Quick question though; I thought the Savage Target Actions could not be magazine fed? Or maybe I just made an assumption along the way and have just been believing the wrong thing for all this time. I have seen some great deals on new Savage target actions but never picked one up because I really thought they were all single shots.

Sorry that was confusing wasn't it. The Savage Long Range Precision (LRP) is the Savage target action with the middle action screw removed and the bottom opened up for a drop box magazine. The LRP has the Savage target trigger (red blade) that is adjustable down to about 4 oz. Savage does a little extra to make sure these actions are stiff and true. If you look at one closely you can see that the top of the ejection port is not cut away on the top, like the standard action. They keep that metal there to keep the action stiff.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.