Load data for 10mm

That's the reason I started handloading for my 10mm. Not that I thought the factory loads weren't good enough, they were fine, but the price of them I wasn't happy with. I can get a box of 300 bullets, the same ones Buffalo Bore uses, for $55. I can also get a box of 700 for only $68 of the bullet that HSM used in their bear load. With more than 1k primers sitting on my shelf it's pretty hard to justify paying $40/20 or even 50 rounds at the store.
Heck, I've been scrounging lead for free and casting my own... I've got a couple hundred rounds through the pistol now. I had to back up my 200 gr. cast a bit. They were dragging on the mag. (just a few thou. too long) and a full mag was giving issues with feeding... I've been running AA#9 with the 200's (actually around 208 sized/ lubed with my alloy) and true blue with my 180's. The 180 load has been just fine from the get-go. I simply loaded a mild/mid load and ran with it.

Last edited:
The most important thing for shooting lead is to slug your barrel and fit the bullet to it accordingly. Since we're talking 10mm i'll talk about them. Factory jacketed ammo is usually .401". So if your barrel is .400 or .401 then for lead you would want .402-403". Since lead is softer than copper it will swage down to the barrel and seal it. If you were to shoot .401" out of a .401" barrel you might have the bullet not fully engage the rifling and skid down the barrel and deposit lead.
Properly sizing a bullet to a particular barrel will almost always solve any leading issue you may have had in the past.
Great way to describe exactly what causes leading.

Heck, I've been scrounging lead for free and casting my own... I've got a couple hundred rounds through the pistol now. I had to back up my 200 gr. cast a bit. They were dragging on the mag. (just a few thou. too long) and a full mag was giving issues with feeding... I've been running AA# with the 200's (actually around 208 sized/ lubed with my alloy) and true blue with my 180's. The 180 load has been just fine from the get-go. I simply loaded a mild/mid load and ran with it.
Yeah, someday, if I have more than a couple of guns that I want to shoot cast lead through I'll get set up for casting. At this point in my life I have enough going on that I don't even shoot the stuff I buy as much as I'd like to.

Yeah, someday, if I have more than a couple of guns that I want to shoot cast lead through I'll get set up for casting. At this point in my life I have enough going on that I don't even shoot the stuff I buy as much as I'd like to.
A lot of guys are powder coating with Eastwood powder coat lately. I'm still using a lube/sizer, but I'm settled in and don't need to change. An old turkey fryer burner, cast iron pot, mold, lead ladle, flux, stirring spoon, and a lead source is enough to get going if powder coating. Some bullets may need a push through sizer if a bit big.
Most everything can be picked up used for nearly nothing. I went with a Lyman kit and got most of what I need. If I'm cleaning up lead (range pickin's or wheelweights) I'll go to my Pop's place and he'll wake up the turkey fryer burner for a spell. A few hours later we've got 100-150 pounds clean lead in ingots. I usually give him a bunch for his trouble.

When I was a mechanic I had a source but not now so I have to scrounge or buy my lead.
Lefty7mmstw has a good source and he knows how to purify his lead.
He has given me some tips.
Who knows,we may all be scrounging for lead some day.
I go to Estate auctions. A lot of the old timers cast their own bullets. I buy the bullets even if not in a caliber I have. Just for the lead. It usually sells cheap. Not many want to shoot lead these days. Most people buy factory ammo. I had one lot I bought that was 38 spcl. Different cast sizes. Most lubed & ready to go. I also bought some 45-70 I sold to my neighbor. 500 bullets for like $30.00 I don't own a 45-70. I was going to keep them just in case. Then my neighbor made the offer to buy them. So off they went. I can find more. lol

Last edited:
I am presently trying to get some old lead pipe fittings folks had lying around.I melted about 20 pounds down a couple years ago and hoping to get more.Also some lead flashing from roofing that was torn off and just laying on the ground but the guy thinks it's worth a fortune.
The old waiting game.

question to all has anyone used the win LP in standard-mag primer with AA-9 or bludot in 10mm with 175 or 200gr hc coated bullets. have never used these primers always use CCI 300 thank you.

question to all has anyone used the win LP in standard-mag primer with AA-9 or bludot in 10mm with 175 or 200gr hc coated bullets. have never used these primers always use CCI 300 thank you.
I'm sure it would work fine. I only have Fed GMM LP for my 10mm.

When I was a mechanic I had a source but not now so I have to scrounge or buy my lead.
Lefty7mmstw has a good source and he knows how to purify his lead.
He has given me some tips.
Who knows,we may all be scrounging for lead some day.

Being the paranoid individual that I am…..I'm stocked with about 1200 pounds of wheelwright. More than I'll likely need…..but, less than I'd like to have! 😉

I really need to cast a few hundred for my 45-70 and my 460 S&W. memtb

Being the paranoid individual that I am…..I'm stocked with about 1200 pounds of wheelwright. More than I'll likely need…..but, less than I'd like to have! 😉

I really need to cast a few hundred for my 45-70 and my 460 S&W. memtb
Whoa.... that is only 42,000, 200 grain bullets!! Are you sure you will have enough lead for a while???;):eek:😋😋 Now... all you need are primers and powder to go along with the lead.

Whoa.... that is only 42,000, 200 grain bullets!! Are you sure you will have enough lead for a while???;):eek:😋😋 Now... all you need are primers and powder to go along with the lead.

Good on powder…..a "wee bit" short on primers! ☹️

Though, my total count will be a lot less, once the trash is removed …..and most of my cash bullets far exceed 200 grains! 😉 memtb