10mm heavy bullet load data?

Glock 20SF - 4.6" KKM barrel - 22lb spring.

So i was able to test the BE-86 the Rim Rock 220 hardcast. Here is the results.
———-
Be-86 6.5gr, Starline brass, CCI LG primer, 1.248 OAL, 220LDFP HC

5 shot: AVG. 1063fps ES 17.5, SD 6.2. Good accuracy.
————
BE-86 6.6gr, 1.248OAL, 220 HC

5 shot: AVG. 1068fps, ES 31, SD 22
————
BE-86 6.8gr, 1.248OAL, 220HC

5 shot: AVG. 1080fps, ES 68, SD 30. Note: primers just starting to flatten out and slight flow around firing pin.
———-
I then went back and shot the 6.5gr load again with ten rounds.

BE-86 6.5gr, 1.248OAL, 220HC

10 shot: AVG. 1062, ES 18, SD 7.69

This 6.5gr load is where will focus. I will use this load to practice and use the Buffalo Bore factory ammunition for bear protection. Buffalo Bore states in their testing, "4.6 inch Barrel yielded 1140fps. I'm not willing to push any load to find that speed without the knowledge of the exact powder and lot number they have used. Speculation of the powder used, Power Pistol or BE-86, observation from bullet pull downs on 10mm-firearms.com.

The reason I used 1.248OAL was that another fellow had problems with feeding so I pushed it back for the testing. I had no FTF during testing with these loads. In fact I also loaded up 5 @ 1.255OAL and shot them with no FTF. So I will test some more at that OAL, 1.255, and grab some speeds and function tests.

Note: these are my loads, with my equipment, and with new star line brass. Shooters must always use safe starting loads produced from reliable sources, i.e. manufactures DATA or published reloaded manuals and work up! I share these results as info only!

As I stated in the previous post, a stock barrel with factory dangerous game loads created bulges in the brass. I would not reload that brass again, nor would I feel comfortable shooting these types loads from a stock Glock barrel.

I had concern when changing guide springs regarding the ammo I planned to use so I called Glock and questioned, I plan to do some hunting in bear country and would like info on the guide spring I should use when shooting Double tap 230 grain pills. The tech at Glock told me, use the stock 17lb spring in my G 40 mos.10mm. When sighting at the range I found those 230 grn pills weren't no problem at all and recoil wasn't a problem. At 25 yards off hand they all went center mass. I did have a 22lb spring with me so I gave it a try and found it slowed things up a bit but no issues with the exception of racking the slide back and of course I did mentioned I was using an after market barrel because this ammo was hard cast..

So, exactly what is your issue?
It seems you probably meant to say the the 230 grain bullets were no problem, so other than using a double negative, I don't see what you meant to write about.

I have been hearing on this site that it is wise to select a heavy guide rod spring when shooting high performance hard cast from Buffalo 220 or Double tap 230 grn in 10mm . For example going from stock 17lb too 22lbs. According to Glock techs that's not necessary.

I have been hearing on this site that it is wise to select a heavy guide rod spring when shooting high performance hard cast from Buffalo 220 or Double tap 230 grn in 10mm . For example going from stock 17lb too 22lbs. According to Glock techs that's not necessary.
The heavier spring isnt necessary in G20 as the slide is heavy. In my G21 with 10mm conversion barrel I run a 24# spring and no issues so far.
As I phase out Hodgdon, I'll be testing 3N37 and 3N38 powders in my 10mm. 3N37 shot best in my 40 SW

Just a couple of things regarding 10mm in general. Firstly, never, ever go by what a factory powder looks like compared to what you might have on your bench! Unless the factory will tell you exactly what powder they use (kind of unlikely) going by looks is a disaster just waiting to happen! In this case, just say no!

I've been reloading for well over 50 years and have reloaded over a million rounds of ammunition, having had a commercial operation years ago. I have by no means seen or done it all as there are a constant stream of new components on the market. Personally, having just in the last couple of years gotten into the 10mm (something I should have done 30 years ago when the Colonel said to) I am finding the 10mm cartridge to be the hardest of any other pistol caliber to judge the pressure via the condition of the fired brass! In this case looks really can be deceiving! The 10mm brass simply doesn't always show excessive pressure, in which case a chronograph is a necessity to keep you safe. If you're getting bulged cases, you are WAY over pressure, even in a stock Glock barrel! No if, and or buts! If your aftermarket barrel doesn't bulge a case with the exact same load it just means the barrel is covering up your sins better than a stock Glock barrel! It also means you're in the same category as a test pilot every time you pull the trigger... You're pushing the envelope with every shot and the only reason you haven't blown yourself all to hell and back is the outstanding strength of todays firearms!

Unless you have access to good pressure testing equipment you can only go by chrono readings, which is a decent indicator but no where near as safe as pressure testing! Unfortunately, it is out of reach for virtually all of us in the trenches, doing things the hard way!

I will also agree that using the extra heavy bullets in a 10mm is a case of diminishing returns. The 200 and even 180 grain bullets offer much better velocities and foot pounds of energy, especially with the mono copper bullets available today. Add in the coated hard cast bullets and while everyone else has them, too, they are the best option when you're potentiality dealing with something that can bite you!

While I wouldn't want to carry my self defense ammo when tromping around in the woods with bears and dragons, the 200 gr hardcast/coated ammo I have from Underwood covers me nicely. For personal defense against 2 legged critters I carry the 115 gr Lehigh Xtreme Defender bullet in my Glock 40 and the 100 gr XD bullet in my Glock 29 (unfortunately no longer in production). I carry the factory ammo because I am falling about 200 fps short of their velocities with my admittedly maxed out, hand loads. They simply have access to better, faster powder than I do! I still load the XD bullet but I carry theirs only because of their better velocities that I just can't match.

When pushing your 10mm as hard as posdible you need to temper your enthusiasm with a goodly dose of common sense and, if you have any working brain cells, a bit of fear is going to go a long way to keep you from blowing your gun, and yourself, to pieces! There are plenty of examples floating around the 'net that should convince anyone willing to listen. If you ignore all those previous failures you're just a bad example waiting to happen! Most of todays firearms will take almost all the abuse the nutters are willing to try. Almost! Don't be the one trying to impress everyone with your nuclear loads because if you shoot enough, it is going to bite you eventually and when it does, it is going be costly in both equipment and pain! Especially pain. Pain is nature's way of telling you, "Well, that was pretty dumb!" Nuff said!
Cheers,
crkckr

I typically use a higher powder charge and get higher velocities with a cast bullet compared to a jacketed bullet of the same weight. In the 44 Mag I shot a 330gr hard cast bullet at the same velocity as a 300g jacketed bullet, and used almost 2.0gr more H110. I had the same results with all the other magnum revolvers as well. Using the right alloy or a gas check will prevent damage to the base of the bullet and help with some of the fouling and accuracy problems too.

I never had any issues shooting cast bullets in a factory Glock barrel as long as I used the proper bullet alloy. Shoot soft lead in just about any gun with velocities over 1000 fps and you're going to have a mess to clean out of the barrel, unless you use gas checked bullets.
After talking to a couple of friends who shoot cast bullets, they both seem to think that most people who cast their own bullets use slightly softer lead than what would be described as hard cast. If you add antimony and or tin to the mix you will get a harder bullet and that may be just what you need if you are going to push the bullets to a higher speed.

gt bullets makes a nice looking 200gr hollowpoint lead bullet,, anyone load those in a 10mm
wondering how they would feed in a semiauto

i have a xdm compact im waiting to try them in, its my everday day load in a 38 +p 3in barrel and a 270 gr in 45colt, killed lots of deer and other critters with both gt bullets

Frog4aday, research showed NDZ has spring, guide rod adapter(?) And guide rod for the 40. I don't know about the 40, mine is an old model. But that should get you going...might want to get a couple different springs, from what I've learned,a super heavy spring, though it slows slide rearward movement, increases forward speed...? rsbhunter
Excellet quality from NDZ I have a NDZ stainless Rod and 17 pound spring in my G17 for home protection.

Last edited:
If I may suggest, perhaps you could check with the company that sold the bullets to you.
You should find your load with Long shot @ 8.0 to 8.2 with CCI 350 with 200gr Hardcast.
I just purchased some 220gr hard-cast bullets from Rim Rock bullet company. Now that I have the bullets I cannot seem to find a load for a bullet heavier than 200gr for the 10mm.. I recently picked up a Hornady #10 reloading manual, the manual lists a maximum load of 7.3gr of Longshot for a 200gr bullet. I was told that Buffalo Bore uses "7.1gr" of Longshot in their 10mm ammunition. I guess I could do some pressure testing with different loads in .05gr increments, don't like doing that with a handgun, or any gun. With a rifle there are familiar signs when pressure is getting too high, with a handgun that is not such a luxury. I've checked some of the other forums, this situation does not seem to be unique to these bullets. What I did find was that for any accuracy out of the heavy bullets in a Glock the bullets have to be moving at least 950fps to stabilize. Any one have suggestions or resources for load data for the heavy, 220gr, hard-cast bullets?
You should find your load with Long shot @ 8.0 to 8.2 with CCI 350 with 200gr Hardcast FNGC.

Recent Posts