270 win heavy bullet data 150-170gr

Thebear_78

I just got my fast twist 270 finished. I have quite a few Nosler LRAB 150s and a couple hundred matrix 165s on order. I could use some load data if anyone has any with either bullet. I loaded up some 150 LRAB with re22 but haven't had s chance to hit the range with them yet. I've heard re26 might be the powder to get for this application but haven't found any except for an 8 pounder and didn't want to invest in that much without trying it out. Interested in data for 150 LRAB, 165 matrix, and 170 Berger, along with any other good high BC bullet in the 270 win. Will mostly be used for sheep and caribou, but would be nice to be tough enough for a moose if the occasion arose.

Rifle specs
Remington 700 L/A trued and lightened
Pac-nor 1-8 featherweight barrel 24" fluted
Wildcat composit ultralight stock
Leupold 4.5-14x40 30mm CDS In tally lightweights
Finished weight is 6 pounds 10.8 ounces.
Black nitride metal finish

The only ammo I've run in it yet is nosler 140 BT factory loads and they average at around and inch. I'm hoping to do much better with reloads.

IMR 7828 ssc I use moly on most of my bullets no matter the cartridge. I would think the long bearing surface would benefit for a dry lube.

VERY NICE STICK! minimalist look with nice lines and flutes really add to it. Only thing I'd add is cordura cheek saddle w/zipper pouch because of my big head and long neck. Also a radial brake due to bad shoulder.
As loads can't give ya data but powder wise I think your on right track. Maybe try RE25 if ya can till 26 is in stock. Or maybe New imr 7977 , they say it's better than 7828.

Gene

TB78,congrats on that Beautiful 270, while I've not played with the two bullets you mentioned, I have gone over book with my 270 wcf with RL22 powder,I very much believe many are under loaded by factory&private companys ,just to make the newer stuff look better and more sale able . It still comes down to honest reloading and cronographing ,all the books ,published data are just guides anyway, I'm a big fan of Reloader series powders,sadly I've not tested any new 23/26 powders as yet , but a great friend tryed one pound of Imr 7977 in his new tikka 270 wcf ,and it gave him the highest speed and accuracy of the day, almost forgot my 270 sports a 24 inch Krieger 1/10 twist cmly bbl, friends tikka 22 inch same twist , personally I think Imr 7977 & REloaders Newest series powders, should poll vault to to where you want to be with your new Fast twisted 270 WCf ,regards jjmp

165 gr Matrix
Win brass
CCI 200
55.5gr H4831sc
Very easy forgiving bullet to load.

Drops made it out to be at 2675 fps. Slower than I'de like but it was accurate at range.

The Bear78, Nice rifle. I have 270 with Lilja 1/10 twist barrel and I'm using IMR-7828ssc with 150gr ABLR. I drew one of our early buck tag (Co) last year which is mostly above timberline and got pretty nice 5x5. I did played around with seating depth and I'm mid 2900fps.

Well good luck

Hart 1-8 at 26". With some of the newer powders, it may have gone a lot faster. Didn't want to deal with temp flux...

Never should have sold that rifle...

@FEENIX. He has a 270AI. Not sure his barrel length, but he may have some other powders for you...

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.