Load data for 10mm

Been wanting to try cast lead for rifles like 30-30,358 win.I may get to that this year buddy.

Rooster, I've cast for our 270 Win., 308 Win., 30-06, 30-30, 338 WM, and my .375 H&H and my .375 AI. Though it was with conventional lubes and gas checks. I haven't loaded or shot those in years……but, one day (if I live long enough) I like to try powder coating for some of the above rifles.

None of those had great accuracy, but was good enough to take out rabbits, a few coyotes and did OK on Prairie Dogs out to around 200 yards…..if you don't get too excited about the misses! 😉

Powder Coating is a "God Send" for cast bullets! memtb

I, too, have a Glock 40. I purchased a 6.5" after-market barrel for future replacement

View attachment 519671
View attachment 519670
I currently shoot the HSM Bear Load 180 and Buffalo Bore Dangerous Game 190 Mono for bear defense. However, I will be loading with Lehigh Defense.

View attachment 519687
The Lehigh is plenty enough.I loaded 140 gr and it went through a post that had been pulled and replaced.The old one was lying around so a few of us cut some into sections and shot them with Lehigh 140 gr and it went through at 20,then 30 yards and destroyed the exit very well.The bullet went out of sight into the hills.I too would feel good with them FEENIX.

Rooster, I've cast for our 270 Win., 308 Win., 30-06, 30-30, 338 WM, and my .375 H&H and my .375 AI. Though it was with conventional lubes and gas checks. I haven't loaded or shot those in years……but, one day (if I live long enough) I like to try powder coating for some of the above rifles.

None of those had great accuracy, but was good enough to take out rabbits, a few coyotes and did OK on Prairie Dogs out to around 200 yards…..if you don't get too excited about the misses! 😉

Powder Coating is a "God Send" for cast bullets! memtb
Now you have me wondering!I may have to try it.I have a 30-30 but much too nice to test lead stuff with.
I need to buy a used 30-30 to test it on.

alaska I wonder if you can powder coat soft lead and shoot it?Never thought of it before but now I wonder.

I'm butting-in…….but if your referring to pure lead (as in battery or plumbers lead), I wouldn't recommend it unless the velocities are kept pretty darn low…..likely under 800 mv for best performance! JMO. memtb

No not pure lead or junk lead.I add antimony and tin to get me to around 10-12 BH.Soft for my use but harder than what your thinking.
I would try it in a pistol first.Make the bullet and then powder coat it and let it sit in an over at 100 to 120 for a little while to set the hardness.

Been wanting to try cast lead for rifles like 30-30,358 win.I may get to that this year buddy.
Now that 40 cal gas checks are available I may go back to using them as I had zero leading with gas checks in other calibers.
They work pretty well in my mint Win 1894 .30 WCF carbine circa 1942 Cheers

M94 30 30 year 1942 - Copy.jpg

I use "plain old" wheel weights, which are primarily lead, tin, and antimony! As cast they go around 12 to 15 hardness. If I decide to "quench" them to temper them, I can easily exceed 20.

Those that are "tempered", gas checked, and with a good lube can be pushed well over 2000 mv……with no leading.

With my powder coated, and gas checked, I'm running 430 grain, wide metplat bullets @1800 (+/-) mv…..while getting 1" to 1 1/4" 5 shot groups @ 100, with a 4x scope. Could probably tighten that a bit, with some experimentation and a higher power scope!

Running 400 grain, powder coated, gas checked from my 8 3/8" S&W 460 to 1500 mv. With a 2 moa red dot, I've gotten quite a few sub 3", 4 shot groups @ 100 yards. Using a 2 moa red dot…..I figure that's as good as I'm likely to do! As 150 yards is my maximum intended use on big game…..I'm calling it good!

No signs of leading or excessive fouling with anything listed! memtb
Thanks for the information, very interesting, where have all the old wheel weights gone? I have about 350 lbs of old roofing lead sheets which is pretty close to pure, I have to find a place that will melt it down and add tin and antimony for me then put it into lead ingots for down-the-road needs. Cheers

Thanks for the information, very interesting, where have all the old wheel weights gone? I have about 350 lbs of old roofing lead sheets which is pretty close to pure, I have to find a place that will melt it down and add tin and antimony for me then put it into lead ingots for down-the-road needs. Cheers
I have taken 1/2 a lead sheet from a friend back in Louisiana many years ago and cut pieces of off in strips and side cut the strips made chips that I melted in an old cast iron pot just for that purpose.I made sure to weighed them,don't guess.That way write down your antimony and tin addition to get the right mix.Cast a few,let it set up for 3 day and measure hardness.Back then I shot 357 mag,44 mag,45 LC and 45 ACP and 45-70.With GC's I got so little leading I could clean it out in a 10-15 minutes.

Wonder if the coated cast would be fine. Or does the powder coated cast not change anything?
I have shot thousands of powder coated and commercially epoxy coated bullets and have had almost zero residue in bores.Mostly pistols and 1 45-70 rifle.On epoxy base coatings you will get some residue from the epoxy itself but I have had almost zero cleanup on properly coated powder coat bullets.
If you get any residue from powder coat you are not up to temp and need to get a tad higher.

Recent Posts