Little help with 30-06ai please

ka30270

I'm wanting to build a 30-06 ai and throat it a little for a little heavier bullet (190 - 215). If I have the throat extended can I still shoot factory ammo decently accurate? What action and length will give me the magazine length I may need? I don't have an unlimited budget and am a blue collar guy. This will be my first "build" and I was looking at Tikka but I'm afraid they will be to short and I want something a little tighter than a Savage. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

I'm collecting parts to build either another 280 AI or 30-06 AI. Probably end up doing a switch barrel. Got a defiance tenacity LA to work with. I'm not familiar with tikka. But a Wyatt extended box BDL will get you 3.825 COAL I believe. Not sure if that helps? Guess In the end it depends if you want to stay with the factory Tikka mag.

I'm wanting to build a 30-06 ai and throat it a little for a little heavier bullet (190 - 215). If I have the throat extended can I still shoot factory ammo decently accurate? What action and length will give me the magazine length I may need? I don't have an unlimited budget and am a blue collar guy. This will be my first "build" and I was looking at Tikka but I'm afraid they will be to short and I want something a little tighter than a Savage. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks
Yes, but like anything else YMMV.

I was working on some 06 AI loads today so I took an AOL of a 215 berger at the lands. Got 3.352 in my chamber, bottom of boatail was at the shoulder body junction. Rough measurement was about .045 above the neck shoulder junction for the bearing surface of the bullet. I run 165's in this rifle so can't help you with powder or velocity for the heavier bullets. Hope this helps, this is a standard AI chamber,if there is such a thing.

Thanks
I'll look into a WSM, kinda makes sense.......
Is the .300 WSM what you really want? I have 3 .300WM, 2 .300 WSM, a .30-06 but I still wanted a .30 Gibbs. I considered the .30-06 AI but went with Gibbs instead. I am still doing load development but I am propelling the 190 VLD at 2806 FPS with more room.

I grew up hunting with a Rem 7400 in 30-06 that my dad gave me as my first hunting rifle when I was 15. I still have it but hunt it very seldom as I moved on to bolt guns searching for greater accuracy. Dad passed in January so I thought I may put together a 30-06 bolt gun and try to get a little more zip out of it. I didn't really want to go Gibbs because I'd like to maintain the "factory fodder" option. I'm in NC and have never hunted out of state so I don't really see the need for a magnum. I've had a few 300 Win, a 300 WSM, 338 Win, etc but these deer die pretty quick from a regular ol 308 Win. Elk are on my bucket list good Lord willing so I may just go WSM. That should give me the flexability I'm looking for without having to get to spendy.

I grew up hunting with a Rem 7400 in 30-06 that my dad gave me as my first hunting rifle when I was 15. I still have it but hunt it very seldom as I moved on to bolt guns searching for greater accuracy. Dad passed in January so I thought I may put together a 30-06 bolt gun and try to get a little more zip out of it. I didn't really want to go Gibbs because I'd like to maintain the "factory fodder" option. I'm in NC and have never hunted out of state so I don't really see the need for a magnum. I've had a few 300 Win, a 300 WSM, 338 Win, etc but these deer die pretty quick from a regular ol 308 Win. Elk are on my bucket list good Lord willing so I may just go WSM. That should give me the flexability I'm looking for without having to get to spendy.
That's fine, as long as it is exactly what you want. I responded accordingly per your original post.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.