A little help please my friends- 338 Lapua

I don't have a 338 LM but my 338-378 Wby. mag. shoots the Sierra & Berger 300's pretty well & also the Barnes 280 LRX as well. Haven't shot anything other than paper thus far but am taking my "lightweight"😳 hunting rifle on a backpack elk hunt this fall in CO with the 300 Bergers.

Mine likes the 300's either the Berger Tactical or the Lapua Scenar. Not fond of Rotumbo but does prefer H1000.
I use 98 grains of Reloader 33 with Berger 300 grain OTM's .010 off the rifling in my Desert Tech SRS with a 26" barrel throated to allow an OAL of 3.9375 which still fits in the 4" long magazine. It gives me 2760 fps on my Magnetospeed, and when I do my part I get 1/4 moa groups at 100 yards. I have over 800 rounds on the barrel and still capable of 1/4 moa, however I am loading .020" longer now due to throat erosion. I have a new Bartlien 30" 5R lefthand gain twist 1:10.35 to 1:9.35 that I will be chambering soon and plan on using the same components since they have worked so well for me. Quickload predictions have been spot on with this load too as long as the h2o capacity is correct and shot start initiation is set for close to the lands. I have looked at virtually all other powder options on Quickload, but Reloader 33 looks best to me.

You may be able to get away with running the 270 grain Badland Precision super bulldozer. It has a .401 G7 that I have been running, and with the velocity you can get over a 300 grain berger, it is right on it's heels for wind drift. If your shooting a sierra 300, it has significantly less wind drift. May be worth checking out. But if it wouldn'twork, the 240 Super bulldozer may be a good option, it has a .710 G7 (vs .685 for the 250 Berger) and would be an awesome flat shooting hunting round, with less wind drift and likely more energy than the 250 Berger much past 400 yds.

I have loaded the badlands in a couple different rifles, and they have given me fantastic accuracy, very easily.

Do these bullets expand well like the Barnes or do they fragment like the Hammer's?

Do these bullets expand well like the Barnes or do they fragment like the Hammer's?
They are designed to perform better than a barnes at lower velocity, but at high velocity the act similar to a hammer from my experience. Check out this thread for more info related to that -

I'm running the 270 ELDx on top of 89.5gr of RL 26 in Lapua brass, Fed GM215m primers and having really good luck. I'd have to doublecheck but I believe I'm 0.025 OTL. I did have to play a bit with seating depth. They'll mag feed in my Weatherby action but don't fit in my Wyatts DBM on my other gun. Good luck
What is your COAL Brotherbear...I'm also shooting Weatherby .....TacMark....thank you!

What are you fellas shooting for Bullet selection ( brand and weight) for best accuracy in 338 Lapua. This is the only caliber I'm struggling in! Did get very good results with 300 gr. Sierra Game King...285 Hornaday...not so....270 Hornaday not a hope...any suggestions will be appreciated. Thanks very much!
I have had good luck with the Hornady .338 Caliber 225Grain SST bullets that have a BC of 515.
I have found that this bullet, when coupled with Alliant RL -19 powder, has been a harvester of game for me.
As for load development theses figures, you must establish for yourself, as this is the only safe way to develop a load.
Right now it may be next to impossible to find any reloading supplies on dealers shelves and even though they might not be exactly what you want you may either have to substitute for something else or wait until they are resupplied.

Last edited:
I have had good luck with the Hornady .338 Caliber 225Grain SST bullets that have a BC of 515.
I have found that this bullet, when coupled with Alliant RL -19 powder, has been a harvester of game for me.
As for load development theses figures, you must establish for yourself, as this is the only safe way to develop a load.
Right now it may be next to impossible to find any reloading supplies on dealers shelves and even though they might not be exactly what you want you may either have to substitute for something else or wait until they are resupplied.
Thanks...no shortage in Canada....

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.