Lilja 3 groove #1 contour 6.5 mm

Highvoltage

Anyone use this barrel to build a light weigh hunting rifle? It's an 8 twist at 27 1/2 blank. I was thinking about a lightweight 6.5 prc, saum or wsm and wanted to shoot 143 eldx and up. I've heard the 3 groove may provide some bullet slippage. I don't want to make a mistake on a rebarrel and end up shooting 130gr. Any advice is welcomed...thanks

Also anything on the accuracy would help the decision as well

Anyone use this barrel to build a light weigh hunting rifle? It's an 8 twist at 27 1/2 blank. I was thinking about a lightweight 6.5 prc, saum or wsm and wanted to shoot 143 eldx and up. I've heard the 3 groove may provide some bullet slippage. I don't want to make a mistake on a rebarrel and end up shooting 130gr. Any advice is welcomed...thanks

Also anything on the accuracy would help the decision as well

Barrel is only one component/element of a rifle's accuracy. But the "NUT" behind the trigger remains the main factor of accuracy and competency.

I have a 30" Lilja 1:8" 3G on my semi-custom .270 AI (.5-.7 MOA to 1K) and 27" Lilja 1:9" 3G on my full custom .30 LARA (.5-.7 MOA to 300 yards, farthest thus far). Both have the accuracy potential "IF" I do my part.

Idk honestly all I can go by is what I've read up on and talked to other shooters about 3 groove barrels, just looking for any good info to help me decide, I'm not a barrel manufacturer or bullet maker just and average joe not wanting to make a mistake on a build that could have been avoided by doing some homework

There's so little empirical evidence on barrel accuracy, it seems more of a faith. One group of shooters will gravitate towards a certain brand because someone wins with a barrel or beats you with a barrel or your buddy has one and it's awesome or a gunsmith sells a couple brands and has really good luck promoting those within a region.
Personally, I wouldn't hesitate to buy a lilja barrel.

Idk honestly all I can go by is what I've read up on and talked to other shooters about 3 groove barrels, just looking for any good info to help me decide, I'm not a barrel manufacturer or bullet maker just and average joe not wanting to make a mistake on a build that could have been avoided by doing some homework

How about some reference(s) for us to go by?

Honestly I doudt any of us would know the difference if we didnt know if it was a 3, 4, or 6 groove or 5R. A good barrel is a good barrel. Good barrel, good Smith and components are what makes a good shooting rifle and the nut driving it determines the rest.

Good deal glad to hear everything is cool with the 3 groove and there are no negatives once again thanks for all the good info. Did some digging on the site and it sounds like the slippage is in reference to match bullets being torn up from the rifling of the 3 groove but since it's a hunting rifle, it should be Just fine. I know they make top notch products and I'm looking forward to getting this build under way, good luck and thanks

Not to put words in his mouth-but Steve (Hammer) has the 168 mono, 6.5, 1-6" twist, 3300 fps. It's not quite flying ideally, "slippage" was a concern, and examining recovered bullets it appears to have nice clean rifling marks.

I wouldn't be afraid of even a 1-7" in the cartridges you're talking about.

I do t think the three groove is good for a barrel burner type round and bullets like a cup and core, when they get rougher they really seem to trash jackets and I'm personally not a fan but if running an average chamberings I don't think there is any problem.
I won't put a Lilja on anything, period!!

I won't put a Lilja on anything, period!!

Why? I had a .338-06 with a Lilja that consistently sub moa to 300 yards and beyond. Currently I have .25-06 that's a shooter as well with a Lilja tube as well. In my limited experience Lilja makes a good barrel.

If Dan builds and sells it, it's a accurate barrel. But he can only do so much, it's the reloader/shooter that has to do his part. I have dealt with Dan for years as both a supplier and shooter, he has given loads of info about both.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.