Lilja 3-groove 6mm Barrels

mbianchini

S1 & others who have experience with Lilja 3-groove .243 barrels what kind of barrel life are you getting from the 243 Imp using the 3-groove Liljas? What is the advantage of the three groove?

I have two Lilja barrel’s that I started to shoot last season. These barrels were on my BAT action and were chambered for 6ppc 263NK. I put 432 rounds through the one and the second barrel had 671 rounds. Both throats are gone. The barrels shot great until the throats burned out. I was told that Lilja uses very soft steel.
Shilen and Krieger’s I get about 1500 to 1900 rounds out of those barrels in 6ppc.

View My project Pictures: http://images.andale.com/f2/129/124/6198627/1039287952032_farley500_2.JPG http://images.andale.com/f2/129/124/6198627/1039287953218_farley500_1.JPG

[ 12-13-2002: Message edited by: mbianchini ]

mbianchini

S1
I talked to a few friends at the IBS Nationals this year they said that they had the same problems as I did with some lilja's. I ask one big name shooter what he thought of Lilja barrels. He said “look at the equipment list before you buy a barrel”. That was at the IBS Nationals.
I had my smith look at the two lilja’s through the borescope. He said looks like u got lotta rounds through these pipes. Lotta cracking in the throats. I told him the exact rounds through the barrels he just said that’s a shame. I was thinking that the lot of stainless might have been bad. I think the matter is the steel that Lilja is using. Like I said before the shot great when they had low rounds.

Cleaning Procedure:
I use Lucas bore guides and Dewey rods in all my guns. Newer any moly bullets or abrasive cleaners.

Solvents:
Blue goop which is activated with hydrogen peroxide.

I shoot like a “runner” trying to get five shots off before the condition is lost..

My 6ppc load consists of:
Lupua Brass
Fed 205s
28.0gr 8208 or 28.4gr 133
Fowler 68 FB or 66 FB

[ 12-13-2002: Message edited by: mbianchini ]

Brent

I just read in the Precision Shooting Reloading Guide the 243 was a barrel burner, well they were comparing it to the 308win.

I really wouldn't have thought it to be too bad though.

Interesting to know what Dan says.
Don't sound right to me.

mindcrime

By all means please keep us posted! I just built a tight necked 6mm Ackley sporting a Lilja 3 groove with a 1-7 twist. I am currently in the process of fireforming 100 weight-sorted pieces of Win brass, I'll keep an eye on my tube also. The 1-7 Ackley should "shoot out" way before your 1-13 twist in your PPC would.

jjhall

S1. I'm pretty new to this but it's clear that you are a veteran. What is the "Black Star craze". I had a 243 rebarrelled by Black Star a number of years ago. It never shot up to par and I finally sold it. Does Black Star still exist? What was their problem? Thanks for all your help!!

mbianchini

"Black Star craze"

Black Star was using what they called a super stainless which was S 700. Actually Lothar Walther was making the barrels to BlackStar specifications. I'm not sure what the hardness was on the Rockwell C scale of the stainless is.
I don’t believe that Black Star was hand lapping the barrels instead they use some sort of electro-chemical bore polishing technique. Which to this day they have it patented.

Back during the "Black Star craze" I bought two of there barrels in 6mm 1-14” twist HV taper. I got them chambered for my Panda HV in 6PPC .262NK. I though that the barrels shot ok newer good enough to shoot big match. They were a bitch to clean. To this day I still have both of the barrels “low rounds” i'm going to use them for ground hog hunting some day.

Black Star still sell barrels: http://blackstar-barrels.com/

[ 12-17-2002: Message edited by: mbianchini ]

mbianchini

S1

Did the 30 cal barrels foul bad?
The 6 barrels did and they were a bitch to clean even with the BLUE GOOP..

Did you do the chamber work on you Black Stars. I heard they are hard on reamers.

I found this warning at: http://www.reamerrentals.com/policypage.htm

Do not use rental reamers on “super-alloy” steels, Black Star barrels, Do not use rental reamers on “super-alloy” steels, Black Star barrels

Trending threads

Recent Posts

Nightforce has great tracking capabilities, they are rugged, a bunch of elevation, holds zero forever, and reticles are designed for long range shooting. So if you are looking to shoot long distances constantly, then you need a scope that can take the abuse. -- gilmillan1

Culture Of Excellence At Nightforce Optics
By Len Backus

A high level of quality both in production and in service. Read More

Nightforce is such a solid combo of reticle, available elevation, glass that is good enough to shoot at the longest range you can dial. Nightforce has bullet proof construction that can handle the incidental horse rolling or some other rodeo action. -- bigngreen

Nightforce ATACR Scope Review
By Jeff Brozovich

The new NightForce ATACR is for sure a top choice for any long range shooter. Read More

The total package. Nightforce is the best I have used as far as turret feel and solid detents. I have never had one that didn't track right on and always return to zero. Nightforce NXS is the best value for everything I need. -- Broz

Nightforce Velocity 1000 Reticle Review
By Scott Shreve

I think Nightforce knocked it outta the park with this reticle! Read More

NightForce