6.5-mm comparison question

woodcr24

I'm a long-time Swede owner (milsurp and modern), and (as a devout fan of the .264 caliber) have recently picked up a .260 Rem DPMS for my wife to use against the local coyote packs. I do have an AG-42B, however our coyote activity is nearly completely nocturnal, and our Gen 1 just doesn't reliably attach to the old boy.

I started looking at uppers for the DPMS and came across the 6.5 Creedmoor option. I've been aware of this cartridge for some time, but never ran a ballistic comparison. In a bolt gun, 6.5x55 (unimproved) is all that I think I need.

The question that I have is, assuming a modern loading for the 6.5x55 (to nearly 60K PSI, in a modern action [this is done by a lot of shooters, so please no flaming]), and a standardized action, barrel length, rate of twist, and projectile (let's assume a 139 - 143-grain), which one outperforms the others in terms of accuracy? I would love to stretch the legs of a semi-auto that can be fitted with a modern optic (my long-distance eye sight is just not conducive to the use of irons), but I would like to hear from people who have actual, bona fide experience with two or more of these cartridges and have done enough shooting to have formed a viable opinion.

Best,

Chris

Don't have experience with 2 different but did build an AR 10 this year, MP PRS, timney, ect. w/DPMS creedmoor upper. The gun quickly became one of my favorite's. It shoots .6-.7 moa, very easy to shoot for anyone. Hornady match ammo runs avg of 2770 fps for the 140 gr & 2965 for the 120 gr. Took it mule deer hunting this year even though weighs 14lbs w/atlas, & harvested a nice buck @ 310 meters. Haven't really stretched it to much but shoot it to 600 meters often.

woodcr24,

The difference is the action length when you shoot the Swede as it's supposed to. The original Mauser M98 was an intermediate action as was the Swedish M96. This allowed for the exceptionally long, heavy military bullets to be loaded.

Defiance makes a bolt action version of this for the hunters. They can even put a Mauser/Winchester style extractor on it along with a 3-position safety ala Winchester.

Take a look at the PRS blog with more details about how many rifles are chambered for the 6.5 Creedmoor in some of the best competitions in the U.S.

PRS Archives - PrecisionRifleBlog.com

The 6.5 Creedmoor is superb for the semi-auto AR platform. Accuracy can be excellent if you have the right builder.

Tyler Kemp has made an excellent video shooting a GAP10 chambered for this cartridge. You can contact him through this website, he's a member here.

Here is a comparison article full of good reading:

http://www.accurateshooter.com/tactical/6-5-creedmoor-for-tactical-competition/

Regards.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.