Lightest Carbon rife stock

Check Stockys. Just got a 22 oz stock for my Vanguard that is like an Game Scout or EH1 with narrower grip. Thats with a Very nice pad too. Their carbon line. In stock inlet is perfect. Got my 338 wm to 8.7# with Leupy 4-24.

Depending on what you plan to add to the stock in terms of studs, Arca plates and such, I would suggest looking at more than just the weight criteria. I still have a Manners Ultra Classic stock cut for an Impact Precision laying around that I took off a build because it wouldn't take an Arca plate. I changed to a Manners EH1 because I like using the tripod and the stock weight difference was negated by having to carry my Hog saddle. I think there is an older thread somewhere on the forum of a guy who had his ultra light weight stock break because he added a second sling stud.

I'm not saying don't go ultra light weight, just suggesting you check out the whole picture relative to your objectives.

MPI and oregon gunsmithing are the only two truly lightweight stocks I've seen in the US. Wildcat in Canada comes in at 18oz.

Anything 20oz or over has no business on a sheep gun IMO.

If you're really building an ultra light gun, pick a mild recoil cartridge. Or put what you're thinking into a recoil calculator and look how it compares. You can make a 7-08 kick like a 300wm if you get it light enough.

Bottom metal choice is a huge factor when deciding on a LA set up. Peak 44 is sweet, but would be only BDL. Manners UCS Plus would probably be you best bet if you are looking for a DBM and don't mind a 14 month lead time

My head hurts from searching. And this probably isn't the right section to post this.
Between Manners, McMillan, AG Composite and so on, I'm looking for the lightest carbon stock (adjustable or non adjustable) for a sheep rifle. Long Action. Spend a lot of time in the Brooks and most shots for Rams are 500 and under so I'm on the lightweight train.

Anyone point me in the right direction please?

Prefer adjustable.

Bottom metal choice is a huge factor when deciding on a LA set up.

At one time, not too awful long ago, there was a company making carbon fiber DBM and bottom 'metal' for rifles. I've misplaced that link so I can't verify their existence currently. Maybe someone else remembers...:oops:

I'll second the Peak 44.
Built a 300PRC that is probably too light.
Probably going to switch to a non magnum.
MPI and oregon gunsmithing are the only two truly lightweight stocks I've seen in the US. Wildcat in Canada comes in at 18oz.

Anything 20oz or over has no business on a sheep gun IMO.

If you're really building an ultra light gun, pick a mild recoil cartridge. Or put what you're thinking into a recoil calculator and look how it compares. You can make a 7-08 kick like a 300wm if you get it light enough.
The 300 PRC was the cartridge I was hoping to go with for dual purpose. Lowland is littered with bears and moose. Wanted to stick with 30 cal for that reason. Yet, keep as light as I could for sheep.
Bottom metal choice is a huge factor when deciding on a LA set up. Peak 44 is sweet, but would be only BDL. Manners UCS Plus would probably be you best bet if you are looking for a DBM and don't mind a 14 month lead time
Thanks. I'd Definitely stick with The BDL.

Handy online recoil calculator at JBM...

The 300 PRC was the cartridge I was hoping to go with for dual purpose. Lowland is littered with bears and moose. Wanted to stick with 30 cal for that reason. Yet, keep as light as I could for sheep.

I wouldn't personally want a 6lb 300prc.

With 180 gr bullets at 3000 fps, in a 7lb rifle, that's around 40 ftlbs of recoil. 6lbs would be 45 ftlbs.

280 AI would be the next option I guess.

That's gonna get you down to ~30 ftlbs with a 168 @ 2900 fps for a 6 pounder. Still substantial.

For comparison, a 9 lb "Grand Pappy's Ought Six" type rifle, e.g. classic wood and metal Rem 700, Win 70, etc, would probably be around 20 ftlbs of recoil. Same rifle in 338 Win Mag would be around 30 ftlbs.

If I was building anything bigger than a 6.5 PRC in a 6-7 lb rifle, I'd put some foam around the scope ocular just in case...

I used a paradigm CF stock on my 280 AI. Going off memory I think it was 23-24 oz with a Hawkins M5 BDL. They are very light.

Attachments

• 80B2EB5B-58B2-4F25-A5CF-69C6020B6636.jpeg
    80B2EB5B-58B2-4F25-A5CF-69C6020B6636.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 71
  • 8DC42A39-D1E4-4DB5-BA6F-64EACC8938C2.jpeg
    8DC42A39-D1E4-4DB5-BA6F-64EACC8938C2.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 69
  • BAA24CB3-13BD-4A65-908A-716620A28270.jpeg
    BAA24CB3-13BD-4A65-908A-716620A28270.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 65

Recent Posts