Lightest Carbon rife stock

I have a 20 oz. carbon/kevlar stock from MPI. (I'm not sure if MPI is even in business these days).
But, the point is, I believe the kevlar is what gives a carbon stock its stiffness. Carbon kinda flexes. So, I believe a lot of carbon fiber stocks have kevlar in certain places for stiffness and strength. My MTI stock is not only light but incredible stiff. I feel fortunate to have it.

Kind of think you have those flipped from my experience with different composite materials in boat building. We don't use kevlar in much of anything but back in the day guys used it a lot in laminates that were prone to potentially having flexing in them. Usually paird up with a vinylester resin. In the 90s it was more common because at the time carbon was three times more than Kevlar which was double or triple what fiberglass cloth was.

With China's wholesale adoption to carbon production carbon prices are now on the level with Kevlar and it's probably a better all-around material it's at least easier to deal with on repairs and sanding finish work. Harsh reality is the core material as well as cloth reinforcement is probably less critical than the resin used.

If u were a betting man mpi used kevlar with a carbon skin to aide in finish work. Kevlar fibers don't lend themselves to sanding.

I'm the short bus of composites building heavy slow glass boats, but have seen a lot of the high end vehicle/bike molders at trade shows and they are on another level. The beartooth 44 looks like a multi piece bladder mold oven cure design. Very cool tech but an expensive setup, makes for a very consistent product vs say a hand layed split mold like a mcswirly.

Tldr... some cool stuff in some cool shapes we live in awesome stock buying times.

Kind of think you have those flipped from my experience with different composite materials in boat building. We don't use kevlar in much of anything but back in the day guys used it a lot in laminates that were prone to potentially having flexing in them. Usually paird up with a vinylester resin. In the 90s it was more common because at the time carbon was three times more than Kevlar which was double or triple what fiberglass cloth was.

With China's wholesale adoption to carbon production carbon prices are now on the level with Kevlar and it's probably a better all-around material it's at least easier to deal with on repairs and sanding finish work. Harsh reality is the core material as well as cloth reinforcement is probably less critical than the resin used.

If u were a betting man mpi used kevlar with a carbon skin to aide in finish work. Kevlar fibers don't lend themselves to sanding.

I'm the short bus of composites building heavy slow glass boats, but have seen a lot of the high end vehicle/bike molders at trade shows and they are on another level. The beartooth 44 looks like a multi piece bladder mold oven cure design. Very cool tech but an expensive setup, makes for a very consistent product vs say a hand layed split mold like a mcswirly.

Tldr... some cool stuff in some cool shapes we live in awesome stock buying times.
AG alpine hunter 31 oz the AG adjustable hunter 40 oz those stocks are hard too beat and tough as any stock built . AG is a veteran owned company and are first class too deal with . The wait time is reasonable and usually less than they tell you , price is reasonable too . I ordered the Alpine Hunter the fit was so precise I shot it without even bedding it ,and it shoots so good I left it alone . Out of all my rifles that is the only one not bedded with glass . I f you need too take a few more ounces off , there is plenty in the forend that could be taken out under the barrel , but I would be careful . A G would be my choice you can't go wrong.

My ultralight mpi is definitely not carbon fiber -- it's either fiberglass or Kevlar as the fibers/cloth used are white-ish- not black with a thin black gel coat on top

Last edited:
The kevlar has a white or **** yellow color to it. Most generic glass is white. Back in the day you could order in several different levels of lighter weight, I'm assuming more labor and detail and materials to get everything just so.

My old mentor had one made back in late 90s or early 2000s and payed the base+ the ul core plus ultralight cloth. It was near 650$ back then. Tookb18 months and needed a fair bit of bedding and finish work and buttpadd fit. It's still a good stock and was ground breaking back in the day. Now we can have a beat tooth, ag, proof, stockts, iota.... in less time and pay less even with out bbb monopoly money.

The ag are great stocks and relatively light, the rest are a bit lighter but it takes nothing away from ag. They have taken a substantial segment of the market for good reason. I'd surmise you could take a carbon stock from any of the majors and be happy with it's weight and fit and function.

Considering my love for custom rifles, this question hurts but has to be asked: Why not just buy a Christensen Ridgeline FFT at 5.5 lbs and go hunt?
The Kimber Adirondak and the Barret Fieldcraft are THE factory sheep rifles, IMO.

Christensen is almost there. They get another 10-12oz off the rifle and they'll have one.

From the Barrett website:

1661401834972.png

I tested this with a quantity of 5 and it went through.

https://barrettfirearmstore.com/barrett-fieldcraft-3006-24″-16774-9/

:)

I have made carbon stocks since 1970 the lightest was 9 ozs for a guy who shot 6mm PPC to win sporter class at the Australian Nationals. Recently did a 10 oz for a rimfire which has shot quite a few possibles. Recent quality control was to run my Ford Falcon Wagon rear wheel over a 1lb 3 oz stock which was supported between two bricks. That's the sort of silly things I had to do now that I do not have access to one of the largest composite labs in the southern hemisphere.
They are not as pretty to look at as a lot of stocks but there's nothing around as light ,stiff and flex free. They are about twice as stiff as the most popular short range stock sold in the US. I have made with S glass, Kevlar, Carbon Kevlar mix but have found Uni and Double Bias carbon the best. It's difficult to work with but so superior in performance. I can see why some stock makers keep away from it particularly if they are all about appearance. If you want looks then keep using Twill like 99% of the stock makers currently use, it's so easy to work with.