Light load for a 300 Winchester Magnum

sandbar782

Anyone have a "light" load recipe for a 300 WM?

I'd like to use powder / bullets on hand, and I have IMR 3031,4895,4831 on hand. Also have some H380. I'd like to shoot 150 and 165 gr bullets. Thoughts?

How light are you thinking? Reduced loads can be pretty dangerous so be careful how low you go. If it were me I'd try some of the published starting loads in your manual. Hodgdon lists some with your powders that are under 3000 fps with 150 grain bullets.

I'd go to a start load of 4831... 4350 would work too. I have tried faster powders than 4350 in my 300win looking to loaf lightweight bullets and the loads usually had issues... poor accuracy and issues with the case sealing up in the chamber come to mind

I use 72 grains of H4831 and Hornady or Nosler 165's in my buddies 300. We didn't have time to work up a load so I used a starting load from a manual. It shot so good we haven't messed with it.

i use imr-4350 and 165's at 3000 for deer. 4895 or 4831 should be fine for this too.

el matador - I was hoping to duplicate a 308/30-06 load with this rifle using a 150 or 165 grain bullet. Reason would be to allow someone that is recoil sensitive to use the rifle to hunt deer hogs. What are the dangers of light loads? I have followed your recommendation on using the starting values, but wanted to go a little lower. For example the Lyman book says starting with 67.0 gr IMR 4831 for a 165 gr bullet so I loaded 5 each at 66.0, 67.5, and 69.0. I didn't think this would be a problem but am concerned as to your light load / danger statement.

clambdin - Have you loaded using H4895 in 300 WM? what charges / projectiles? I have IMR 4895 on hand which while close to H4895, is not the same.

Hornhunter - I first loaded 165 Sierra #2145 with IMR 4831 at 70.0, 71.5, and 73.0 and shot them last week, 5 each. The 70.0 and 73.0 shot well, but the 73.0 was a stiff round from this particular rifle, which is fine for me but I would like to accomplish something a little lighter for someone else that may use this rifle deer / hog hunting. I will let you know how the lighter (66.0, 67.5, and 69.0) charges work. I will be using the same projectiles Sierra #2145 165 grs.

roninflag - What charges of IMR 4895 and IMR 4831 would you start with for a light load pushing 165 gr bullet? I have some ideas, above, but will gladly take suggestions.

When you go too light it can mess with the combustion of the powder somehow. It may cause the powder to detonate rather than burn more slowly, I don't really know. I've just read about this and know that it can be dangerous, primarily when you get down around 50% or less of the case being filled with powder. In the same course of reading I do recall that 4895 was popular for reduced loads and worked very well. You'll be safe with loads that are reasonably close to what the published data says, just don't go trying to duplicate a 30-30. I notice that most starting loads are 5-10% below maximum loads, yet some data only lists a max load and says to start 10% lower. Stay within that ballpark and you'll be fine.

clambdin - Have you loaded using H4895 in 300 WM? what charges / projectiles? I have IMR 4895 on hand which while close to H4895, is not the same.

You can use the 60 percent rule with H4895 only...check out the hogdon website for info...

You can also go the lighter bullet way of lowering recoil. Use starting loads with 125 Nolser ballistic tips that will keep the IMPACT velocity under 3000 fps and you have a light recoil DEADLY deer, pig load. Go to the Nosler 125 Accubond or one of the lighter Barns TSX bullets and you can run them much faster and still have relatively light recoil. I have a friend that runs the Barns 130s full throttle in his 300 WM for deer and it is a awesome flat shooting deer killing light recoiling load.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts