300 win. How light is too light of a load?

tylercleary

I've been working up a load for my 300 Win. With 200 gr. Accubonds and H-1000. I found that I got great accuracy with 67.5 grains of H-1000 - the bullets kept piling up on each other at 100 yrds, So I thought that was it –Bingo! Well, normally this would not be a problem, however I chrone'd the load today and was happy and disappointed by my results. My ES was 12 (good) But my average speed was only 2554 fps. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

This will get me to 775yrds with 1029 ft/ lbs energy. Now, realistically I wouldn't shoot that far because my rangefinder isn't reliable passed 600 yards (Nikon 800). So my question is, do I stay content with .419 groups or do I try and push passed to the next node? I know speed is not the end-all, but this seems pretty dang low…

…Burn more powder or just be happy?

Thanks.

TAC

can't be a lot of help, and don't mean to crash your post, but I live in Stayton, and have been looking for people to shoot long range with.
maybe we should get togather sometime? let me know what ya think, jon

I'd say you're between a rock and a hard place.

With that kind of accuracy hitting the 'spot' you're shooting at would be a great confidence builder. The load would put down anything you shot but maybe the taller animals would take a bit longer to hit the ground....

I'm figuring you'll be sneaking up on the next node. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Either way you'll bring home the meat. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Tac,

You have a lot of room to go up with that bullet powder combo.
For example , 74.6 gr H1000
220 smk
2774 fps
1" @ 300 yds

78.8 grs H 1000
210 Wildcat
2963 fps
.3 @ 100 yds

200 gr smk
76.6 grs H 1000
2970 fps
.750 @ 300 yds
All were 3 shot groups , Oehler 35p

I have found those low velocity accurate node in all of the calibers I have reloaded for. Usually a couple hundred fps later you hit another accurate node . A lot of times you will find another node at or slightly above max pressure but that is too hard on brass and a bit unsafe as well /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif All the above listed loads is the node just below the max node .

Remember these loads were in my rifle and yours may not be able to go there .At any rate good shooting/ hunting ,
Jim B.

P.S. the private message feature here is usually turned off

Keep going!
As jimm mentioned, somewhere north of 72gr, there will very likley be another great node.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts