Light load for a 300 Winchester Magnum

I fooled around a bit with 45 grains of 4895 and a 150 flat nose 3030 bullet in my 300. Its not out of any book so procede with caution. Worked for me though. It was a while back and I don't recall the velocity but recoil was fairly mild.

tread lightly with dropping bullet weight and going with a faster than normal powder. I've nearly collapsed cases (they were essentially ruined) in a 300 win using 4895 and the 125 nos bt. There was another rather fast burning powder (4320?) that I tried also with the same results... Went to a mid load of rl19 with the 125 and the accuracy came in and the brass issues went away. I was shooting these loads in below freezing conditions. Room temp. and it may be a bit easier on you.

ive never heard of this. Do you have any pictures of the cases?
tread lightly with dropping bullet weight and going with a faster than normal powder. I've nearly collapsed cases (they were essentially ruined) in a 300 win using 4895 and the 125 nos bt. There was another rather fast burning powder (4320?) that I tried also with the same results... Went to a mid load of rl19 with the 125 and the accuracy came in and the brass issues went away. I was shooting these loads in below freezing conditions. Room temp. and it may be a bit easier on you.

For the 300 WM, the Lyman book states a starting load of 67.5 gr of IMR 4831 with a 165 gr sierra GK, so I loaded 5 each at 66.0, 67.5, and 69.0. The 66.0 gr loads were so bad they were barely on the paper at 200 yds. 67.5 worked nicely and 69.0 was pretty tight. Both were significantly less recoil, so I guess I am done with it.

Imagine that, follow the book and everything works out...

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.