7rm light load

biff's reloading

my youngest brothers even younger girlfriend(17 yrs old) had to have a new gun. we went to a gun swap today, and found a NIB 700 in 7rm. couldnt hardly pass it up for 325, right? well, 7rm is a tad bigger than the 243 she is used to, and i need to load her up a bunch of light rounds so she can shoot it. ive got 100gr hp's, and cci 200's. my powders for this would be 4350, varget, h380, and 4895...

would 50gr varget be a low enuf load? varget can go down below book a ways cant it? there shouldnt be headspace issues with the light loads thanks to the belted case, correct? is there a 2600fps load using 2400? or would anyone like to run alliant 10x on their program for me? either of those would be better on the budget im sure than 50 grains of varget...

im new to belted cases, and very new to super light loads in rifles. what do i need to do here? she's very afraid of heavy recoil (even i get a bit jumpy with a magnum), but she doesnt mind full loads with a 100gr partition in the 243 (savage 99e), so i figgered a little more recoil will be ok. also, ill add a little weight to the stock, and put a really good recoil pad on it. would 3000fps with a 100gr be too much whack for the little girl?

thanks

what are you gonna be shooting at ? Paper, rocks, or living targets ?

I think that would help me decide where to start and what to load. If she is gonna be recoil shy, she probably won't shoot to well and I think I would keep her from shooting at live critters for awhile.

Her 243 will handle all deer sized game very well... if she shoots it great, why move her up ?

deer at maybe 100 yards. thats about all she'll shoot it at besides paper for practice. its not her 243. thats why she wanted a new gun... she doesnt mind a little recoil, she is just a little afraid of it till she shoots it. they let her shoot a heavy 1 1/2oz pheasant load at a pattern board in a light o/u that didnt fit her. that really hurt , and now she's afraid of any new gun. this 700 is much heavier than the 99 she is used to shooting, so i wouldnt think 2800fps with a 100gr would be very much recoil. as she learns to shoot it, then we can raise the powder, and maybe even go to a 120. i just wanna start as low and weak as possible to get her over the fear of it. the guy at the gun show screwed up and told her how big a gun it really was, and not to shoot heavy loads until she's ready. i wasnt gonna tell her it was a big gun.... i dont have one of those "lead-sleds" or thats what we'd use...

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.