Leveling your scope quick and easy

Lets think about it - if the scope reticle is level - does it matter that the rifle is canted? Assume you had scope mounted 45 degrees to the side but rotated in rings so cross hairs were vertical. Rotate turrets 10 moa rifle barrel goes up 10 moa.
Try a 45 degree tilt from 500 to 1000 yds and see what happens.

Lets think about it - if the scope reticle is level - does it matter that the rifle is canted? Assume you had scope mounted 45 degrees to the side but rotated in rings so cross hairs were vertical. Rotate turrets 10 moa rifle barrel goes up 10 moa.
In your scenario, the elevation will work just fine, but by offsetting the scope laterally, you've now buggered your windage, and it will only be regulated at one distance. Closer and further will be off.

Think WWII fighter planes with wing mounted guns. Their guns had to be regulated to converge at a single distance. The tracers, when viewed from above make an "X" pattern...

The only way to keep windage and elevation regulated such that scope adjustments are true for all distances is to have the scope perfectly centered over the bore (relative to the force of gravity), and the vertical reticle motion perfectly parallel, and windage motion perfectly perpendicular, to that center.

In your scenario, the elevation will work just fine, but by offsetting the scope laterally, you've now buggered your windage, and it will only be regulated at one distance. Closer and further will be off.

Think WWII fighter planes with wing mounted guns. Their guns had to be regulated to converge at a single distance. The tracers, when viewed from above make an "X" pattern...

The only way to keep windage and elevation regulated such that scope adjustments are true for all distances is to have the scope perfectly centered over the bore (relative to the force of gravity), and the vertical reticle motion perfectly parallel, and windage motion perfectly perpendicular, to that center.
Thank you thats a great explanation. If you set convergence for 1000 yards you could be off 1 to 2 inches at 100. Now if we are only talking 5 degrees then its about an .17 inch at 100.

Thank you my friend...I was going to ask @Darryle what that was!!!! Never seen this before. Great little item....gotta get me one!

I just follow along here, someone on this forum brought it up in another similar thread.

I am a good bad example, a treasure trove of useless trivia and somewhat beneficial links

I just follow along here, someone on this forum brought it up in another similar thread.

I am a good bad example, a treasure trove of useless trivia and somewhat beneficial links
You always have great input my friend! It's a valuable LIVE n LEARN SITE! Thank you for the input! I like that little tool...just ordered one. A man can never have too many gadgets.....can he?