Leveling your scope quick and easy

Yes, as long as it is flat, it can be a picatinny, a cantilever or a one piece mount. The rifle doesn't have to be level and once finished, you can use the reticle and a thick plumb line to level the bubble level. If you have had cataracts removed like me, had distance lenses installed and you cannot see the bubble level, you save money and time 😂.

I got the tool with spurh mount

As did I but the trade off these days is the weight of those Spuhr mounts when weight is a consideration. I've used several on builds where weight was not a problem. They are built like a brick outhouse!

If the weight is a consideration, buying the tool will save you about $400 and lots of ounces. ;)

Longer ranges and ELR will definitely cause us to add weight.

:)

@Barbourcreek James, your friend gets points for using the Tract 😉. I am curious, did your reticle hit the market yet and what are your thoughts on these, are you seeing chromatic aberration, the abnormally large black ring around the sight picture and thoughts on the eyebox?

I have been holding off for your reticle, it's obvious that you really like them. I just keep reading these reports on CA, tight eyebox and the ring, wondering about what you have experienced. It may be confined to certain versions and not a universal issue with Tract overall.

I no longer have the PM from you with the reticle picture, so I cannot recall exactly what it looked like. I don't remember deleting it. I just remembered I really liked it.

Honest question, why not use this device that levels in a similar fashion. Uses the wedges to square the bottom of the scope to the picatinny.

For me, it's quick and easy.
View attachment 528836View attachment 528837
I just ordered a set believe it or not I never used one
Thanks for the suggestion

By the way I wonder if they make a wedge with a level on it for getting scope level close at the same time!

@Barbourcreek James, your friend gets points for using the Tract 😉. I am curious, did your reticle hit the market yet and what are your thoughts on these, are you seeing chromatic aberration, the abnormally large black ring around the sight picture and thoughts on the eyebox?

I have been holding off for your reticle, it's obvious that you really like them. I just keep reading these reports on CA, tight eyebox and the ring, wondering about what you have experienced. It may be confined to certain versions and not a universal issue with Tract overall.

I no longer have the PM from you with the reticle picture, so I cannot recall exactly what it looked like. I don't remember deleting it. I just remembered I really liked it.
I have been waiting as well...

Deck of cards trick is easy too. If you are running a full Picatinny rail.

Place a deck of cards on the Pic rail, set scope on top. Remove as many cards as needed for the scope tube to set to the bottom of the rings. Tighten down ring caps slowly, making sure you are not too high in the center with cards as to put stress on the scope tube. Easiest to leave some of the center of the cards sticking out a bit so you can grab them.

I have one of the Arisaka tools, but when the base or rail itself isn't plumb and true on the receiver you end up going a ways down the path before discovering that you have a problem. Couldn't see it with just the rail mounted, but became very obvious once the scope was mounted. I guess that's the risk of a putting a precision machined rail on a hand finished action.

I noticed that one of the scope mfg's has level lines marked on the scope tube that would align with the split of horizontal split rings. Seems like a great idea, but I wonder just how effective it really is. Some young buck can probably eyeball it using those better than I can.