Leupold VX5HD vs Zeiss Conquest V4

General RE LEE

I'm building a 6mm ARC gas gun for hunting and long range steel.

I'm stuck on which of the two optics I want to go with. I've owned both and they both have their pros and cons.

I'm considering the 3-15x44 VX5HD with the Firedot Duplex reticle. I think the VX5HD has slightly better glass and the Firedot is a good hunting reticle, but rather boring for a target reticle. VX5HD CDS-ZL2 turret maxes out at 2 turns 37.5 MOA.

The 4-16x50 Zeiss Conquest V4 has an illuminated MOA reticle, has slightly more reliable dialing/RTZ and really good glass. Also, the Zeiss has more internal elevation adjustment.

Can I get feedback/opinions on what you would choose?

I was in a similar situation for a lighter hunting rifle setup, I went with the VX5 and I'm very happy with it. The elevation range for it was within my LR shooting range (hunting or range work) and I almost always dial even with a more complicated reticle…. I like the cleaner view when hunting. Seems like a silly thing, but I remember a neg for the Zeiss was a silly plastic windage cap. I am sure that Zeiss glad would be good, and that 50mm objective would have its benefits too. Good luck with the decision, maybe some of my thoughts help you with it

I was in a similar situation for a lighter hunting rifle setup, I went with the VX5 and I'm very happy with it. The elevation range for it was within my LR shooting range (hunting or range work) and I almost always dial even with a more complicated reticle…. I like the cleaner view when hunting. Seems like a silly thing, but I remember a neg for the Zeiss was a silly plastic windage cap. I am sure that Zeiss glad would be good, and that 50mm objective would have its benefits too. Good luck with the decision, maybe some of my thoughts help you with it

I prefer the 3x low end on the VX5HD vs the 4x low end on the Conquest V4.

Both have forgiving eye boxes but the VX5 and VX6HD eye boxes are in a class of their own. At low power it's like a big screen TV of a view.

This was helpful thank you. The VX5HD is also 4 ozs lighter.

I prefer the 3x low end on the VX5HD vs the 4x low end on the Conquest V4.

Both have forgiving eye boxes but the VX5 and VX6HD eye boxes are in a class of their own. At low power it's like a big screen TV of a view.

This was helpful thank you. The VX5HD is also 4 ozs ligh
I am not a fan of my vx5. Turrets in my opinion suck. There really isn't enough click for me to really like them, They are sloppy as well.
I own 3 and love them I have a z5 im selling to buy another if you have slop send it in you cant beat their customer service if it sucks that bad ill give you 500.00 for it

I'm building a 6mm ARC gas gun for hunting and long range steel.

I'm stuck on which of the two optics I want to go with. I've owned both and they both have their pros and cons.

I'm considering the 3-15x44 VX5HD with the Firedot Duplex reticle. I think the VX5HD has slightly better glass and the Firedot is a good hunting reticle, but rather boring for a target reticle. VX5HD CDS-ZL2 turret maxes out at 2 turns 37.5 MOA.

The 4-16x50 Zeiss Conquest V4 has an illuminated MOA reticle, has slightly more reliable dialing/RTZ and really good glass. Also, the Zeiss has more internal elevation adjustment.

Can I get feedback/opinions on what you would choose?
the 2x10 is sharper I have 2

I'm not familiar with the Zeiss but I am a big fan of the VX5. I have been putting the 44mm windplex on all my hunting rifles. For the money it's hard to beat the glass and the weight. 44 is a little more compact to fit in an Eberlestock scabbard too.

I've had significant experience with the VX5HD but not the V4. I do have a Zeiss V6. I agree with your assessment of the VX5. I love the fire dot for dark woods reasonably short range hunting. It would not be my first choice for LR hunting or shooting where significant dialing is involved. It is very easy to get behind.
The Zeiss V6 has very good glass to my eyes and dialing has been spot on for me. I can't comment on the V4, but I prefer 3X vs 4X at the bottom of the zoom range.
I have seen some deep discounts on the V4 out there.

I have both of them. Leupold is VX5HDZL2 3-15x44 firedot reticle. Whew that's a long title. Ziess is V4 6-24x50 #60 reticle. Haven't ordered at turret for the Ziess, as I'm not sure what gun its going to stay on. But I've hunted a great deal with the leupold and I'm pleased with it. I like that they offer a free turret. With the V4 you have to have it made at your cost. The Ziess offers a longer range of come up as its not limited to two turns. But those two turn on the VX5 will reach out to about1200 yards on most hunting calibers. Turret tactile feel is very similar, at least to me. Very positive feel IMO. I'm mostly deft so I can't confirm the sound. Both are on hunting rifles with similar reticles. For a all round hunting gun I'd lean towards the leupold. Its smaller, lower profile and great in low light conditions. But the Ziess may get the nod on low light, especially looking back west after the sun has set. Looking into the shadows late is the most difficult thing with lower quality glass. Both are very good. Push to the V4. Durability, I've been hunting with the VX5 for three years, Other than when my wife knocked the rifle off the kitchen table and bent the adjustable eye piece, which leupold fixed at no cost in three week. I've never had a problem. Only had the V4 for one year. Got it to shoot across bead fields. So far I'm pleased. Hope this helps. Rosebud

I have the v4 and 5HD both 44mm. I prefer the Zeiss. They are very close on glass and low light but the Zeiss stands out on the turrets to me.

I just ordered this one. Supposed to be here on Monday.
Can't wait to try it!!
Putting it on my Weatherby Mark V Weathermark LT in 7mm WBY Mag.
Taking the Burris Fullfield Long Range off & sending it in for warranty. When i get it back, the other 3 will be sent in.

Recent Posts