Leupold VX5 vs Zeiss conquest V4

Elkeater

Ok so I'm picking up my new Browning X-Bolt Hells Canyon LR in .300 WM tomorrow. I need a new scope. Looking at the VX-5 3-15X44 with the impact 29 reticle or the Conquest V4 4-16x44 with the ZMOA2 reticle. Price is the same so which one is the better option. This is a hunting rifle. Critters out to 800 yards (just my personal limit) and steel and rocks as far as I have the opportunity.

The impact 29 reticle is VERY thin and does not contrast well in low light. They do not have the option for a illuminated reticle with it. I got one, looked thru it, and returned it. It was disappointing. Now in normal target conditions, for banging steel and rocks, it would be awesome.

The Wind-Plex is heavier, but only has MOA hash marks on the windage portion of the reticle.
I am hoping the have the TMOA reticle on the VX5HD this year.
I put a VX 5 with the wind plex on my .338 Jarrett this fall. I think the reticle is a little heavy for killing paper, worked great on Elk however. Looked at quite a few bulls in Colorado under good conditions. Really liked it. Killed my bull in Oregon on a very windy, sleeting, foggy just plain crappy day at 300 mics. The reticle was easy to see with my old eyes.

I own both and would have to give the nod to the Zeiss V4, I find optically its a touch better, it is a few ounces heavier than the VX5, but overall feel that the Zeiss is more durable or a better built scope, the zero stop Moa dial on the Zeiss is very positive,

Ive had both scopes mounted on the same rifle in 30mm low Talleys and from a 100 yard zero the Zeiss has 52 MOA of vertical adjustment up and the VX5 had 27,
both are beautiful scopes and you really can't go wrong with either one but again I prefer the Zeiss

Last edited:
I will never again trust a Leupold after having 2 different scopes on 2 different firearms (a 7mm and a .50 cal muzzleloader) lose their zero with no rhyme or reason. Luckily for my muzzleloader hunt I was with a guy from Burris whom had a spare scope to slap on my rig and enable me to fill my Gila elk tag.

I will never again trust a Leupold after having 2 different scopes on 2 different firearms (a 7mm and a .50 cal muzzleloader) lose their zero with no rhyme or reason. Luckily for my muzzleloader hunt I was with a guy from Burris whom had a spare scope to slap on my rig and enable me to fill my Gila elk tag.
What models if you don't mind me asking ?

What models if you don't mind me asking ?

Muzzleloader was a VX3 1.7-6??? if I remember correctly (was about 6 years ago)

My 7mm I will have to dig up, i have before and after picture of both setups with "failure" and "success" pictures with the same setup

Muzzleloader was a VX3 1.7-6??? if I remember correctly (was about 6 years ago)

My 7mm I will have to dig up, i have before and after picture of both setups with "failure" and "success" pictures with the same setup
I had some problems with my VX3 also, but not a single problem with the VX6,VX6HD all on 300wsm's and a VX5HD that is on my 270wsm

Another notable mention here is the sig whiskey 5 3-15 with their illuminated moa bdc hunting reticle. Take a look at em, not to heavy, compact, good turrets, nice scope. Mine is as sold on a ridgeline 30 nosler, that was replaced by a custom 30 nosler.

Ok. How bout other reticle suggestions in the VX5?
I have the 3-15x56 with the illuminated duplex and I love it. First scope I have had in a while that didn't have some tactical moa something reticle. I ended up loving it. With the CDS it was a good set up to me - if it doesn't have an exposed elevation turret then there is no way I would have this reticle. I haven't poked anything at 800 yet, but I have at 330 and 431. I bought a second one and am slowing converting all my hunting scopes to a simple duplex with an illuminated dot and exposed elev. turret. I also grabbed a whiskey5 5-25x52 for my 204 with the same illuminated duplex reticle and exposed elevation turret. I never would have thought this is where I would be right now with all of these fancy reticles - crazy world.

I've had both and prefer the VX-5HD. I decided to go with the windplex reticle over the others.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.