Leupold Gold Ring Bino's

Greg Duerr

Ive read a lot of good things about the Leupold Gold Ring 10x42. I do know that they are really heavy. At Scheels the other day they had some 10x32's. Leupold at the Elk Show in Reno, said that the Gold Rings were discontinued and that Leupold was working on a new kind.

I would love to buy some Leica 10x42 but surley there has to be a great pair of bino's out there for around $1200

Is there?

recently purchased a par of Zen Ray ED3 8x42 and am simple amazed at how clear the image is for a $400 pair of bins. It was a pretty good sized jump up from my bushnell elites. The image is brighter, clearer, and the colors are better. The only thing i dont like about them is they are a little larger and a bit heavier than my bushnells. I have looked through the gold rings and didnt see too much performance difference from my bushnells to justify the money. Not trying to tell you the gold rings are junk by any means just want to let you know my thoughts on the new Zen Ray ED3's plus they are much cheaper. I would personally put them right behind the top of the line bins.

The closest bino's I could find to a pair of the Leica's or Swarvo'a for less then a $1000 was the Minox HG's. Camera Land had open box deals that were smoking!

Jon

I use Swaro's but have a buddy that wanted to "by binos on a budget". He bought Meopta's and they are fantastic glass for the money. I compared them to a pair of Swaro SLC's I have and could not tell the difference. You can tell a slight difference between them and the new EL's but they were right with the old style SLC's. I think they retail for about a grand but are by far better than the Leupy golden rings. They do weigh 30oz but that is not too heavy. Check them out I think you will be surprised. Cabelas offers them as their European model for $899 I think.

you can find German and quality Japanes binos for a grand, Docter, Steiner, MInox, Meopta, Fujinon. Watch ebay there are some super deals on last generation German optics. I am on my second pair of the Chinese wonders the Zen Ray, the problem I am finding with the Chinese wonders is the durability. The glass is very good for the money.
My first pair ED1s went back to customer service, the foccus dial actually locked up after a few months use, the replacement pair ED3s is developing a lot of play in the focus dial after a week same thing happened with the ED1s. Do not buy anything from China for a thousand bucks. I am really understaing the phrase, "buy once, cry once". I am looking at some of the above mentioned binos for a thousand bucks and will never buy any optics from China again. Don't forget Nikon and Pentax Japanese made binos either, the Pentax gets very good reviews.

I've been using a pair of Swaro 8x42 EL's for several years. Ended up getting a pair of Burris 10x42 Signature series bino's earlier this year to use for waterfowl hunting and to save some wear and tear on my Swaro's. Sounds crazy, but I like them as well as my EL's and have been using them for my antelope scouting trips and will probably be carrying them antelope and deer hunting here in a few weeks.

I've been using a pair of Swaro 8x42 EL's for several years. Ended up getting a pair of Burris 10x42 Signature series bino's earlier this year to use for waterfowl hunting and to save some wear and tear on my Swaro's. Sounds crazy, but I like them as well as my EL's and have been using them for my antelope scouting trips and will probably be carrying them antelope and deer hunting here in a few weeks.
Burris makes some good stuff, I have a pair of older el cheapo 8x30 we use al the time they hold up better than the $400.00 Zen Rays! I am pretty sure these old Burris weren't made in China 13 years ago. Funny thing about those el cheapo binos, they are my lucky pair I see more wildlife with them than anything else so far.

sure hope my zen rays work a little better than what im hearing. Waiting on swaro to come out with a RFB.
Zen Ray customer service is proving to be A+ they will be hand selecting a replacement pair for me, for the money you can't beat their glass, although I wish it had a few more minutes at dusk. But to get those few minutes you gotta pay 2k

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.