Leupold Gold Ring HD Spotting Scope Issues????

One_Duck_Limit

I've got $1200 to spend on a spotter. After researching all the scopes in my price range the Leupold Gold Ring 20-40 X 60 HD was at the top of the list. None of the sporting goods stores in my area have one to look through. Last night at a Sportsman's Warehouse the optics dude said they had more problems with that scope than any other scope they carried so they stopped selling it. With all the positive reviews I've read and that fact that so many guides use the scope I find it hard to believe.

Have any of you that use, or have used the Leupold Scope had any issues? Would you buy the scope again? I've read reviews that stated the HD version was worth the extra money, what do you think about HD vs. Non HD?

I've done so much research and read so many reviews on spotting scopes I'm more confused now than when I started.

The guide on my sheep hunt last year had one and really liked it. The HD version is the one to go with. We were spotting sheep several miles away to see if they were worth going after. The non HD scopes do not have the clarity to do this.

I have had the non HD , since they came out. It gets a liitle fuzzy at top end, but size and weight are nice. I don't know how old 10+ anyway, horse, jeep, pack, off season scouting ,range. Mine has seen a ton of use. I wore rubber eye ring off. I would favor a HD UNIT WITH THE TMR reticule for my spotter.It is $400 for a retrofit in mine.

I have looked through many spotting scopes, and I feel no need to upgrade from my leupold hd spotter.

I think that maybe the dude was just anti-leupold or something. If your not going to lay down mega$$$ for a swaro or leica then I think its very hard to beat.
I got my Gold Ring HD 2 years ago and have been extremely pleased.:)
Besides if there was a problem who would give better customer service than leupy?

I really like mine. It's 5 or 6 years old with many hard miles on it. The only thing I don't like about it is I can find no reason to upgrade!

We have a standard and an HD. They are both nice but the HD does have an edge and would be worth getting. To my eyes our Leica and Swaro beat them, but you pay for it.

We have a standard and an HD. They are both nice but the HD does have an edge and would be worth getting. To my eyes our Leica and Swaro beat them, but you pay for it.

Agree with Don 100%. The only thing I'll add is that if size of unit is a consideration for packing/horseback the Leo HD gets the nod hands down. In my opinion the Leo's are much more user friendly in the heat of the battle.

Another vote for the Leupold HD. I love mine. Side by side comparisions with a Swaro... the swaro showed a bit more contrast but the Leupold was slightly sharper. Plus the size of the Leupold HD is way more backpack friendly.

I got caught in a bad rain storm while scouting last summer. My cousin had a Zeiss scope. It got waterlogged. He had to send it back afterward. The 6 hours of rain didn't hurt the Leupold at all.

the Leupold is an overpriced spotting at it's best! Before running out and spending $1200 on a scope (your dealer's gonna love you) try the others. The Lieca and Swarovski are about as good as it gets period. The Kowa comes in slightly behind them at about half the price. The Nikon and Bushnell Elite are also good scopes as well. You don't need an ED or Flourite lense scope for hunting uses unless there's something wrong with the basic design. To take this further the Kowa with standard lenses is number four on the list at worst (and several hundred dollars less), and the Kowa with Flourite lenses will be right in there with a Swarovski or Lieca at half the price tag.

Think about this; you have a 60mm lense with 40x. That gives you a 1.5 light factor. Now you take a 77mm scope with a 40x eyepiece, and you will see a 1.92 factor or about 30% brighter image. But then you take the typical 82mm scope, and you'll see roughly 36% increase in light gathering. But when you have an 88mm scope with a 40X eyepiece you'll see a 46% increase in light gathering. But there's also more! Everytime you run the light thru a prism or a mirror you loose light.
gary