Sako VS Browning

Is both ever the wrong answer?

Then you can ream one to AI and not have 2 of the same. And you would make @memtb proud in the process.
Have two 375 Weatherby's. One, a Wby Mark V Custom Safari, the other a custom built by Reto Buehler. The 375 Weatherby is the AI, but with the radiused shoulder. One stop shopping. 300 gr @ 2800 (if you believe the Wby box), 270 @ 2900 (Terminal Ballistics Research). And can shoot the parent 375H&H. A little flexibility in factory ammo, but the reloader can open that up. A fun cartridge

I have a Browning A-Bolt Micro medallion I got in 1990 for the boys--they grew up shooting that little 7mm-08 and its killed a lot of game...still in the gun safe slated for hand down to my granddaughter. I have a Browning X-Bolt White Gold Medallion in 6.5 PRC--it's a beauty and the most accurate rifle off the shelf I own, including three custom rifles (didn't see that comin') and I love it. Used factory ammo to zero the Leo VX6 and it shoots so good I didn't even work up a load for it. The only problem is Browning factory triggers suck, so both my rigs have after factory triggers. I also have two SAKO 85 stainless Grey Wolfs, a .260 Remington and .375 H&H that I killed a huge cape buffalo (with one shot) in South Africa using my handloads and they are without a doubt the best off the shelf rifles made. If I were only allowed to buy one brand of rifle, I'd choose SAKO. I also have Weatherby's and a beautiful vintage Ruger 77 MKII in .257 Bob and 3 Fierce custom rifles. That said, it sounds to me like either option for you is gonna be a costly "science" project. Maybe clean 'em up really well and sell 'em. Use proceeds to toward a new SAKO.

I have a Browning A-Bolt Micro medallion I got in 1990 for the boys--they grew up shooting that little 7mm-08 and its killed a lot of game...still in the gun safe slated for hand down to my granddaughter. I have a Browning X-Bolt White Gold Medallion in 6.5 PRC--it's a beauty and the most accurate rifle off the shelf I own, including three custom rifles (didn't see that comin') and I love it. Used factory ammo to zero the Leo VX6 and it shoots so good I didn't even work up a load for it. The only problem is Browning factory triggers suck, so both my rigs have after factory triggers. I also have two SAKO 85 stainless Grey Wolfs, a .260 Remington and .375 H&H that I killed a huge cape buffalo (with one shot) in South Africa using my handloads and they are without a doubt the best off the shelf rifles made. If I were only allowed to buy one brand of rifle, I'd choose SAKO. I also have Weatherby's and a beautiful vintage Ruger 77 MKII in .257 Bob and 3 Fierce custom rifles. That said, it sounds to me like either option for you is gonna be a costly "science" project. Maybe clean 'em up really well and sell 'em. Use proceeds to toward a new SAKO.
I don't have an A Bolt but I do have an X Bolt and it is one of the most accurate out of the box rifles I have owned. Have a SAKO .375 that I shot my last moose with, but I can't say the SAKO is any better than most factory rifles - certainly not as accurate as my X Bolt.

Sakos are finished better. The stainless stalkers have lousy triggers that need work right out of the box, and the barrels are great except that you might destroy the rifle trying to remove it. I have owned both in large magnum calibers and the synthetic stocks are comparable in shape although the Brownings need a bit of reinforcing along the barrel channel. That all being said, I would choose the Stainless Stalker in a heartbeat. Years of carrying in the mountains, shooting at the range, and using on game has made me a fan. They just feel good when I bring it up to my shoulder.

I own both a Sako (in 30-06) and Browning A-bolt in (300 Win Mag). Both are solid and have plusses and minus. The A-bolt is much more accurate but how much of that is 300 WM vs 30-06 is hard to tell. Sako definitely has the better trigger. Both have some custom work done to help accurize them. Even though I have other large calibers, my 300 is my large game hunting go to. I just have that much confidence in it. That having been said if I was going to build another custom, I would start with the Sako over the Browning. The Browning took a lot of work to get it were it is today and my Sako much less but because it was in a caliber I am not overly fond in, I sort of settled once it was under a minute of angle. My best friend borrows the Sako often as he loves it and I won't sell it to him.

I suggest that you read post #45
Sakos are finished better. The stainless stalkers have lousy triggers that need work right out of the box, and the barrels are great except that you might destroy the rifle trying to remove it. I have owned both in large magnum calibers and the synthetic stocks are comparable in shape although the Brownings need a bit of reinforcing along the barrel channel. That all being said, I would choose the Stainless Stalker in a heartbeat. Years of carrying in the mountains, shooting at the range, and using on game has made me a fan. They just feel good when I bring it up to my shoulder.

Sako by all means. Got into them decades ago. Hard to beat. If I use a particular caliber, there will usually be a Sake in the bunch. Unless it's. 308, then there will be more. Large or small!! 375HH to .22.

I have an option to get a minty A Bolt, early 90s stainless stalker, plastic stock, in 375H&H for 1500CAD
I have zero experience with browning rifles. comes with rings and a throw away scope, iron sights

but I already have a Sako AV in the same, but its in rough condition, needs a total overhaul, only the stock is in passable condition, needs but pad, a TON of cleaning, some rust all over the place and blueing is mostly gone. I got it for about 900, pictures were apparently very old. Ill probably have to put 400 into it, plus time to make it usable. AND it needs a rear sight.

any opinions? Is it worth putting in the effort into the Sako?

I have a couple older Sako (L579r carbine and L61r) that shoot under MOA if I do my part, and a couple of Tikkas so I'm comfortable with Sako but have never held a browning
I bought a Browning A bolt 300 Win Mag as a backup rifle for and Alaska moose hunt. Cheap, sloppy action, 2-3" groups at 100 yards, and kicked like a mule. My advice: pass on the A bolt. In 375 H&H it will be brutal. I picked up 1980's vintage 375H&H on Gunbroker for $800 and it is like new, the action is smooth, and the recoil is manageable. Gunbroker as numerous Sako 375H&H for under $2k. Yours would probably sell for at least $500.

I have an A bolt stainless stalker in 7 mag and am very happy with it. Had a trigger job to bring it down to 2#. Very accurate and 1st two cold bore shots almost touching using old Nosler flat base bullets. Would not shoot Sierras accurately. Would be very difficult to get it to rust anywhere. I would not hesitate to buy one.

Have two 375 Weatherby's. One, a Wby Mark V Custom Safari, the other a custom built by Reto Buehler. The 375 Weatherby is the AI, but with the radiused shoulder. One stop shopping. 300 gr @ 2800 (if you believe the Wby box), 270 @ 2900 (Terminal Ballistics Research). And can shoot the parent 375H&H. A little flexibility in factory ammo, but the reloader can open that up. A fun cartridge

I wouldn't recommend my load to be taken lightly (pun intended), but I'm getting just shy of 3100 mv with 270 grain LRX's from my 24" barrel…..with 3 shot groups @ 100 at and occasionally under 1/2".

I may be wrong, but I think that it'll work for any hunting that I'm likely to do…..including the occasional coyote calling and a Prairie Dog or two! 😉 memtb