Sako 75 vs Sako 85 actions

tribb

It's been done before but I can't find it!! Any reasons not to purchase one or the other ? How is after market stock choices for each? Other issues? Thank you Tribb

Gday tribb
Oh I love sakos & glad your honing in on these ones as the better ones imo

Before give my personal opinion can you break down a touch more please
Are you looking @ a magazine or floor plate & the type of hunting you do as this fits in a bit here

Cheers

Gday tribb
Oh I love sakos & glad your honing in on these ones as the better ones imo

Before give my personal opinion can you break down a touch more please
Are you looking @ a magazine or floor plate & the type of hunting you do as this fits in a bit here

Cheers
Hey Fordy here goes . I've always used rifles with floor mates. Recently bought one with a magazine and i don't dislike it. Guess I'm saying I can use either one! At my age (79) I'm not going to climb any more mountains west of the Mississippi anymore . ( I sure miss it) most of my hunting will be from a blind with some sneak and peek work! My plan is to build a 257 weatherby

Last edited:
Gday tribb
👍 I also miss those mountains & the memories you created in those hills will stay with you forever I'm sure

I'm a floor plate fan also but can use a magazine although not my favourite especially in the 75 as if you are in a position of catching the release latch & can result in a lost magazine or @ best a pain & your sneak & peak has possibility of it occurring so that is about only deficiency I've really seen with the 75 & shot around 1/2 mil rounds in field conditions through the various 75 I've had
The bolt is also a little smoother on the 75 especially after a lot of use ( it's not like new but holds up better than the 85 over pretty substantial use & either is better than the clone fierce or a lot of other actions
Yes I like sako & a supporter of that club because they have worked ( I've had to replace odd springs etc but overall I've found them sound over the way I use them & that's as a tool )

Sorry back to magazines ( I got sidetracked lol ) The 85 series fixed this by requiring a 2 stage process that I've not seen a issue although I would rather top load anyway & rarely remove a magazine on the sakos I own ( 7 ) today & just top load them all

Next part of difference between the 2 is the way the brass is ejected & overall the 85 has a issue of ejection @ a higher angle & this for your 257 bee is one I'd watch now can be eliminated somewhat by higher rings but cheek weld on factor stocks then becomes a issue but some of the aftermarket stocks would most likely fix it but one I don't like on the 85 series ( it's more common in long actions ) also a slimmer profile scope or turning the scope so windage knob not in the way but also I'm not a fan of that

Overall I like the 75 series better & I've put that action through some very hard /trying conditions from major dust , mud , ice etc not that the 85 has failed it's not as good imo

& the sako optilox I'm a fan of that systems ability to hold zero under very trying conditions that I've put it through sometimes

Hope that helps any other questions fire away

Cheers

Gday tribb
👍 I also miss those mountains & the memories you created in those hills will stay with you forever I'm sure

I'm a floor plate fan also but can use a magazine although not my favourite especially in the 75 as if you are in a position of catching the release latch & can result in a lost magazine or @ best a pain & your sneak & peak has possibility of it occurring so that is about only deficiency I've really seen with the 75 & shot around 1/2 mil rounds in field conditions through the various 75 I've had
The bolt is also a little smoother on the 75 especially after a lot of use ( it's not like new but holds up better than the 85 over pretty substantial use & either is better than the clone fierce or a lot of other actions
Yes I like sako & a supporter of that club because they have worked ( I've had to replace odd springs etc but overall I've found them sound over the way I use them & that's as a tool )

Sorry back to magazines ( I got sidetracked lol ) The 85 series fixed this by requiring a 2 stage process that I've not seen a issue although I would rather top load anyway & rarely remove a magazine on the sakos I own ( 7 ) today & just top load them all

Next part of difference between the 2 is the way the brass is ejected & overall the 85 has a issue of ejection @ a higher angle & this for your 257 bee is one I'd watch now can be eliminated somewhat by higher rings but cheek weld on factor stocks then becomes a issue but some of the aftermarket stocks would most likely fix it but one I don't like on the 85 series ( it's more common in long actions ) also a slimmer profile scope or turning the scope so windage knob not in the way but also I'm not a fan of that

Overall I like the 75 series better & I've put that action through some very hard /trying conditions from major dust , mud , ice etc not that the 85 has failed it's not as good imo

& the sako optilox I'm a fan of that systems ability to hold zero under very trying conditions that I've put it through sometimes

Hope that helps any other questions fire away

Cheers
Thank you for a very informative reply sir.

Gday tribb
My pleasure & may you create many memories to come with whatever you choose
Be also good to get other's information
Cheers

Hunted Africa (Zimbabwe) for plainsgame and cape buffalo with a Sako 75 in 375 H&H. While driving in the Landcruiser, I would keep the magazine loaded with 4 rounds of softpoint (300 grain Swift A-Frame) bullets, chamber empty. As soon as we got out of the Landcruiser, I would crank in a round from the magazine. If we were going after plainsgame, I was ready to go. If we were going after cape buffalo, I would drop the mag and inset a 2nd mag loaded with 4 solid bullets (300 grain Barnes solids at the time). Was super convenient having the two mags and I loved that they held 4 rounds each of 375H&H. Also easy to top load. Ended up shooting a nice 41" old cape buffalo with the soft point, followed up with 3 solids.

On another note, I also have a Sako 85 in 300 Win Mag. Had LRI install a new 1:10 twist barrel. The Sako 85 300 WM action is the same action Sako uses for the 375H&H, so the magazine can hold rounds as long as 3.700". Let's me load Berger 215's nice and long (I load to 3.660" COAL). Almost turns my 300 WM into a 300 PRC, since those heavy bullets don't get pushed too far into the case.

On another note, I also have a Sako 85 in 300 Win Mag. Had LRI install a new 1:10 twist barrel. The Sako 85 300 WM action is the same action Sako uses for the 375H&H, so the magazine can hold rounds as long as 3.700". Let's me load Berger 215's nice and long (I load to 3.660" COAL). Almost turns my 300 WM into a 300 PRC, since those heavy bullets don't get pushed too far into the case.
So I can use a 300 wm action for the 257 wby I plan to build and seat "looongggg" copper bullets to base of case neck and have plenty of magazine room. Sounds good!

Gday tribb
I believe you can rechamber & give you what you want with minimal work but I'd once again wait for others to confirm or offer a alternative view

Quick question if you don't mind How big of a mono & what ranges & critters do you plan on hunting

Cheers

I feel like I can answer this semi-intelligently for the 75 because I am going through some of this now with my 75 stainless (AV) in 338 win mag. Stock choices are not great. The factory synthetic is 42 Oz. Carries like a club. AG composites makes flat top stocks that can be inletted for the action which would save nearly a pound. McMillan no longer makes AV stocks and I was surprised to find out the old ones only saved a few ounces.

The mag is very long for the caliber. This worked out great because I could seat my bullets out to the lands (well past max) This led to great groups and 2950fps with 225 grain slugs.

The trigger is incredible and the bolt is super slick. Awesome gun but not fun to trudge up and down all day. Would probably be very enjoyable for your purposes.

I will second the vote in favor of the 75. Although the 85 claims to be a CRF it really is not ...... nor is the 75 but it wasn't claimed to be. Finding an after market stock is easier for the 75 as the 85 utilizes a metal stock insert that mates up with a smaller recoil lug on the action. The 75 has a traditional recoil lug. McMillan makes a stock actually made to the original dimensions and style of the Sako 75 stock. It served me well for all the Sakos I owned.
Neither the 75 or 85 and the clone Fierce eject very consistently and is the biggest weakness in the entire rifle. Long actions are worse as noted before and forget about putting a large windage non scope on. In fact I have seen a few aftermarket and home made bits of plastic and metal that attach somehow to the scope to deflect the casings. All of them were hideous looking and only a few I read worked. All my Sakos were shooters though. I would never do a dangerous game rifle with one,especially scoped.