Lerch and Bill's new Toy!!

Re: Lerch and Bill\'s new Toy!!

Same name?? You talkin "Sears" or "Elmenhorst"????

Or maybe is it Steve??? if so I may know the short sucker your talkin about!!!

If you come in and me or the midget aint up front stick around for a while, would love to talk to ya.

what other instances are you talking about?? I havent been able to find any experiments with 7mm bullets this big

give us a hollar when you come in

steve

Sorry to have been away for awhile but somebody's got to get off the computer and go kill things!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif Especially those ones that slip you the finger!

At ultra long range, three things become more critical to the game that may not be as important at close range.

First thing is of course, BC. You definetly have that with your gun.
Second is bullet weight and mass. If you can't spot your misses with rocks flying, dust clouds, or grass rips then you won't have a clue where to go. The 250 grain bullet should work ok, but a 300 or 350 would be better.

And the third thing is barrel life. Unfortunately, no matter how good of a marksman you are, YOU WILL be shooting lots of ammo to practice and hunt with. If your going to try for a kill at 3700 yards, you can plan on shooting a bare minimum of 50 shots per practice session just to get a "feel" for your trajectory. By that I mean you will need to just plain "let loose" on some bullets and watch to see what the mirage and wind tell your brain they are going to do to your bullet. That last 500 yards from 1500 to 2000 ups the difficulty of how well mere mortals can "feel" what the conditions are going to do to your bullet. Past that, you really start to loose the ability to accurately "feel" the conditions with high percentage of accuracy UNLESS you practice it routinely. This of course means shooting routinely.

The old saying, "practice makes perfect" was never more true than in ultra long range shooting. Practice, practice, practice. IF it took you 10 rounds to get "used" to the feel of 1k shooting on a particular session, then I would plan on shooting a minimum of 30 shells for 2k under the same conditions and I would assume about 50 shells for 3k! This adds up to lots of shooting.

Kregg Slack didn't just go out and dump a 3125 yard pd dog in his first box of ammo. The video he sent me of his 2 mile gong shoots showed him shooting around 75 shots (I'm guessing because I haven't actually counted all the flags he stuck in the ground where the bullets impacted) just to hit it 3 times. And his gong was the size of an F250 hood or bigger!

Bottom line, as you witnessed by the 1500 yard attempt, it takes lots of ammo to get proficient at ultra range and even more ammo to get a kill on a rodent at that range. Not to knock the 7mm AM mag choice, but it won't be a walk in the park on barrels. Better hit that P-dog sooner rather than later. Of course, barrels are plentiful and your pockets are deep right?

BTW, what ever happened to the 1500 yard quest? Did I miss it in my absence? What, you figured it was too easy so you should double the distance?! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Hey, your name is Sears or used to be?

A friend of mine who works for the FAA was out in OK last week and said he stopped in at a very cool gunshop named, "Sears General Store" or something like that. He said there were tons of guns (in boxes) on hand and out in the middle of the store where everyone could see them and components out the wazzoo. Everyone in the state comes to this store for their supplies.

Sound familiar? This wouldn't be your store would it?

Didnt wanna double the distance right off the bat, you know " young and dumb"!!!

Glad to hear you on this post. We have been BSing about this gun with Kirby and Richard for a while. If we dont get what we want then either way it will be a fun journey. IF nothing else the gun will definantly help us out at 2k!!

As for Kregg's record, we will just have to see what happens.

i will post more tommorrow but I am on the wife's laptop and she wants to get on myspace!!

Gotta feed the home fire's first

take it easy
steve

Yep, Steve is the one. Ill make some noise when I come in next week. Ill see if I can dug up a bullet to bring... its a long 30 caliber /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif Ive got 2 or 3 here somewhere...

The store is Gene Sears Supply, Gene is my granddad, my last name is Elmenhorst. We are primarily a wholesaler but we do deal with the public as much as we can. On our last count we had 6800 registered firearms in stock, i know because I have to do the inventory, IT SUCKS!!!!!! Could be our store, i dont know for sure, ask him if he saw a 6'5" guy helpin customers if so then it is our store!

take it easy
steve

GG,

I bet it is. I can't think of another place around here like it. Next time your buddy is in, tell him to look for the short guy in orange or Lerch's 6'5" frame wandering around. We're both almost always here.

Let me know when your coming. I'll bring a few bullets I have and let you take them out and give them a whirl in your 300. I think you'll like!!!

AS for the 1500yd attempt. I have decided that treating my 270AM like a varmint rifle is not the smartest idea. BJ just got a 6mm-250 that shoots lights out and I just ordered a 6br from Cooper Arms so when we get those in we will go back to shooting the pdogs at long range a little more.

Once it gets hot around here I get in a bad mood and I dont like shooting much, rather spend my time in the river hand fishing!!!!

If nothing else with this big gun we should defianntly improve our chances at 2k!!!

steve

[ QUOTE ]
We have a hydraulic forming die on order from Hornady, should be here next week. When we get it we will post a review on it. If it works it should defiantly be nice. The tech at Hornady told us that he thought it would do the job but he said we would have to beat the hell out of it to form that tough lapua brass!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

I will be interested in how well it works.

Lerch, due you think his 338, 300grn bullet is better than the 300grn MK. I will soon have to order my bullets, and curious to know if they are better then the Sierras. How much do they cost compared to the Sierras. Also, do you know the BC of the 300 grn Wildcat, I know the 300grn MK is around .800, I think.

Thanks, Wildcat

[ QUOTE ]
Let me know when your coming. I'll bring a few bullets I have and let you take them out and give them a whirl in your 300. I think you'll like!!!

[/ QUOTE ]
10-4 ill see you guys on wed it looks like.

What a small world it is! When my buddy was telling me about being at work in OK, I automatically was reminded that Lerch and Bill were out in OK and it would be funny if my friend just happened to stumble into you guys in the store. Then it turns out it IS the same store and you guys were not only there, but actually you are there always because you work there!

Next time my friend is out there, I will tell him to come look for you guys and say hi. He is one of the most accomplished SASS shooters in the western region and buys Federal 200 primers buy the truckload. Every two seasons, he fills up a 5 gallon bucket with spent primers from his cowboy loads!!

You might be better to ask Kirby about the 300gr ULD's, he has a lot of experince with them. I know he said they grouped a little tighter than the SMK's but I cant remeber what he said about the bc's.

I will tell you one thing about printed bc's though. Dont put much trust in them. BC changes too much from rifle to rifle, climate, velocity, etc etc. It can be real headache. Find a good bullet that should have a high bc and then figure your own drop charts, your own bc. From that you will be much more accurate than if you go buy what it printed in books and on the net

good luck
steve

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.