Bill Bailey and Lerch

ss7mm

Have you guys got any full blown loads down range yet in the 270 AM's?

I was just wondering if you have done any full charge load testing yet or if you've settled on a load for the 169.5's and if you've found anything interesting.

I've got one coming Friday and will have brass ready asap and will be doing full load testing as soon as I get enough fireformed cases for ladder and load testing.

We're really looking forward to playing with this new round and getting it out in the field to let it do what it does best. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I was going to wait until I'd settled on a load to post this but since you asked......

I've only done some limited testing w/full tilt loads.I started out w/102 gr and this is what I got. Primer was flowing a little. Slight ridge, could catch w/finger nail.

1- did not register (not sure why)
2- 3364 fps (cut just above first shot .25")
3- 3359 fps (went through first hole)
4- 3381 fps (right of shot 2 about .25""
5- 3369 fps (just below shot 4 .25")

ES- 22 fps
M- 3368 fps
SD- 9 fps

I haven't measured the group but believe it is probably about .75". It was too **** windy to tell much on the grouping (20 mph +).

103 gr. I don't remeber how the shots fell. The group was quite a bit larger than the previous. About 1.25". There was a noticable ridge on the primer. So much so that I was
afraid to shoot all 5 of the 104 gr.

1- 3437 fps
2- 3424 fps
3- 3399 fps
4- 3418 fps
5- 3415 fps

I went ahead and shot one of the 104 gr and it registered @ 3449 fps. The bolt lift was a litte heavy and the case extracted kind of hard.

After talking to Kirby and him telling me that almost all the Savages he has built on had the same primer flow problem, I have since shot the other 104 gr loads. I didn't have the Oehler, but they shot about 1.5" @ 250 yds. Again, the bolt was a bit sticky and the ridge on the primers was very noticable.

I'm going to play w/some different seating depths w/the 102 gr load this weekend. I don't see that the extra 100 fps is worth it. This way my brass and (hopefully) my bbl will last a bit longer and I'll still have one helluva long range hammer!!!!

Lerch and I are going to play a little w/them and our RSI Shooting Lab this weekend. And since my wife has to work, we should get 2 days of shooting in, if Rita will permit us to. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.